• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I honestly shed tears at the end of the confrontation between Mob and Serizawa.

This episode stressed just how important it is to have deep friendship with empathy and mutual understanding. The waterworks in my eyes were primed all throughout and really went off when Serizawa connected with mob and witnessed the struggles that Mob went through. Could you imagine the relief realizing you’re not the only one familiar to this situation? That you’re not alone in whatever strange darkness you’re facing? It means so much to me to see a character struggling with what I once struggling with too, laying out the ugly flaws that were borne from the hardships, but also highlighting what is needed to heal.

In real life, we can easily mistake healing for shallow things. For Serizawa, it was getting a job. the same goes for some people. For others it’s getting a better wardrobe, moving into a better place, getting a new haircut. I thought id be happier if I made more friends and became more active in school.

But healing doesn’t require all these things. It starts with empathy. Don’t be delusional; You can’t heal on your own. I tried that for years. You don’t just need to be heard, You need to be understood too. You don’t need to get a new job or upgrade your looks or eat good food to heal. You just need open communication.

Serizawa is such an important character because as we watch Mob grow, Serizawa gives us the opportunity to see what would happen if Mob went wrong. Mob shows us how to grow into a better person. Serizawa also shows us how to become a better person despite past mistakes. And for many who began growing up a little too late, seeing someone close to us onscreen, treated with honesty and respect as a character, and given an arc of healing and redemption is wonderful.

And then we have Toichiro. A petty, shallow-minded bully of vast power and privileged attitude, terrible for the precise reason that people like him really are in charge of much of the world minus the whole being super psychics. The exact kind of villain we need in these times to watch getting punched out. In many ways, the battle between Mob and him is Saitama vs Boros all over again with only with greater emotional and thematic depth.

Last edited by Zeino on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
This episode hits hard man
ChestPains

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of anime/manga like to have a "MC vs MC But Evil" conflict at some point, but ONE does it excellently well because it comes in two waves and has two vastly different outcomes.
Serizawa is the Mob who never got help and was too afraid of his powers. Mob feels for him and keeps trying to reach out to him until he can understand each other's feelings.
Suzuki is the Mob who rejected help and thinks power is everything. Mob realizes Suzuki is exactly everything Mob didn't want to be, all those years ago when he went to Reigen for help, and decides (on his own! for the first time!) that the only way for him to understand power isn't everything is if he gets beaten to hell and back (afterall Suzuki's main motivation was "I couldn't find anyone stronger than me so surely I must rule the world").

Weeks ago I said this arc would be nothing like the Claw arc and far more interesting and I'm overjoyed all of you are able to enjoy it with us now Very Happy

P.S. Suzuki is such a chuuni he's even happy about finding an archnemesis Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rednimue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
So does this final episode adapt the whole manga or there are still parts to eventually adapt?
Did the anime adaptation skip or change some parts of the source material?

Thank you in advance and forgive me if I sound like a broken record Embarassed
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I just feel so spoiled by the animation in this show now... everything else just seems to pale in comparison. Be it big, bombastic fights or subtle character details, MP100 was just so satisfying to watch, even based purely on visuals alone.

Anyway I loved reading these reviews every week. This show was so gosh dang good, stepping up in every way from the first season and surprising me with how much I loved it every week. Thanks for covering it, and here's hoping a season 3 with just as much love and care is on the horizon after the OVA this summer!
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ONE deals with shounen tropes better than most writers. we are truly blessed to get his story adapted by Bones with such passion. can't wait for the OVA and hopefully a 3rd season.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
So does this final episode adapt the whole manga or there are still parts to eventually adapt?
Did the anime adaptation skip or change some parts of the source material?

Thank you in advance and forgive me if I sound like a broken record Embarassed

There's at least one more arc after this. Can't remember if when I stopped reading there was a second arc left. I'll need to go back and check (and finish reading if I left off before it was done!). The ending fight was a bit sped along; I feel it skipped some moments in the final fight that drove home MP100's themes better than the anime did. But the vast majority of the material it has covered was included.
Haru Hana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:30 pm Reply with quote
It's been a good ride. I will never forget when "Internet sex symbol Reigen Arataka" make it way to Mob's official twitter account. Thank you Steve. I love reading your reviews every weeks. Hopefully they will announce S3 at the end of the OVA.
we love lain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

I feel it skipped some moments in the final fight that drove home MP100's themes better than the anime did. But the vast majority of the material it has covered was included.

Except it didn't actually skip any moments in the fight that was thematically relevant from the manga. I'm actually surprised as to how much of the fight was adapted faithfully within the allotted time the episode had. Only about 3 scenes from the manga version of the fight were put on the chopping block and they were ultimately inconsequential. Besides that, everything thematically was left in place.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
What a great finale! Everything I'd hoped for. I'd say it was Suzuki who went full ???% this time.

This series is so adept at visual humor, despite its usually simple artwork. Lol at the shot of Mob's eye through the hole when they were digging him out. It was funny looking, but then that one blink just put it over the top. And Best Eyecatch of the year. I really needed the laugh right about then.
petbastard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:50 am Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

I feel it skipped some moments in the final fight that drove home MP100's themes better than the anime did. But the vast majority of the material it has covered was included.

Except it didn't actually skip any moments in the fight that was thematically relevant from the manga. I'm actually surprised as to how much of the fight was adapted faithfully within the allotted time the episode had. Only about 3 scenes from the manga version of the fight were put on the chopping block and they were ultimately inconsequential. Besides that, everything thematically was left in place.

I have to disagree. The battle was way too rushed - these instantaneous mood swings of Mob felt incredibly forced by leaving out an actual transition between them. That fight should've had an entire episode for itself at least, but we got 150 pages chopped and squeezed into 8 minutes.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:59 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it was that rushed, but I did miss the two instances of 100% [emotion] title cards previous to Suzuki calling him unstable. As it is it kinda looked like Mob just rapidly dialed it back instead of hitting the limit multiple times.
And that final scene lost some of the impact without the "100% Kindness" as he sits down with a defeated Suzuki. It was an odd decision to drop those title cards on the finale, especially since you can just place them anywhere on screen during dialogue.

I feel there were at least 1-3min of stuff that could've been cut to make space for that, but oh well what can you do.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:00 am Reply with quote
We haven't watched the last episode yet, but my friends and I have the opposite opinion that the first season is the better one. We just felt like that season one was more entertaining. There were more funny and endearing moments I think. This season had less of that for more introspection, and it was more serious as a result. I'm not against a show trying to dig a little deeper, but it still needs to entertain just as well while doing it. But I found my attention wandering at times when it got particularly introspective. It was nice though to see some character growth, rather than have the characters be just running gags.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
Is that it, or are there still chapters to adapt?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:10 am Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
I wouldn't say it was that rushed, but I did miss the two instances of 100% [emotion] title cards previous to Suzuki calling him unstable. As it is it kinda looked like Mob just rapidly dialed it back instead of hitting the limit multiple times.
And that final scene lost some of the impact without the "100% Kindness" as he sits down with a defeated Suzuki. It was an odd decision to drop those title cards on the finale, especially since you can just place them anywhere on screen during dialogue.

I feel there were at least 1-3min of stuff that could've been cut to make space for that, but oh well what can you do.

That pretty much answers any lingering questions I had about what caused everything to be fixed/healed. It would've been nice to see it in the anime, but I can also see it totally slamming the brakes on the episode's pacing. ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7