• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mob Psycho 100 has spoiled us so royally that I can't even be surprised at how good this finale looks. What Yuzuru Tachikawa and his team have accomplished should not be taken for granted, and it's absurd to expect any TV anime to look so good this consistently.

Well said. You can really feel the love and passion everybody put into this project.

100% satisfaction! Very Happy
Gwydion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
ChestPains wrote:
I wouldn't say it was that rushed, but I did miss the two instances of 100% [emotion] title cards previous to Suzuki calling him unstable. As it is it kinda looked like Mob just rapidly dialed it back instead of hitting the limit multiple times.
And that final scene lost some of the impact without the "100% Kindness" as he sits down with a defeated Suzuki. It was an odd decision to drop those title cards on the finale, especially since you can just place them anywhere on screen during dialogue.

I feel there were at least 1-3min of stuff that could've been cut to make space for that, but oh well what can you do.

As someone who has only seen the anime, I feel like this could be a case of feeling like it didn't impact as hard because you knew what was cut. I - and everyone I know that also saw it, as I don't know any manga readers personally - felt the swift change in emotions was handled great, with Bones going out of their way to make the mood swings as obvious and sudden as possible. Rather than text, which would break up the action and could ruin the pacing, they used facial/body expression, voice acting, and camera angles to show that each emotion he was hitting was an extreme.

I'm not saying you or anyone else that disagrees with me is wrong to feel that way, of course! I am usually one of those that has read the manga first and can therefore find myself missing details that an anime chose to leave out as well. But being someone who saw it with fresh eyes and didn't know anything was "missing", I still felt it was very easy to understand what was going on, and it definitely left an impact!
we love lain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:29 pm Reply with quote
petbastard wrote:
we love lain wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

I feel it skipped some moments in the final fight that drove home MP100's themes better than the anime did. But the vast majority of the material it has covered was included.

Except it didn't actually skip any moments in the fight that was thematically relevant from the manga. I'm actually surprised as to how much of the fight was adapted faithfully within the allotted time the episode had. Only about 3 scenes from the manga version of the fight were put on the chopping block and they were ultimately inconsequential. Besides that, everything thematically was left in place.

I have to disagree. The battle was way too rushed - these instantaneous mood swings of Mob felt incredibly forced by leaving out an actual transition between them. That fight should've had an entire episode for itself at least, but we got 150 pages chopped and squeezed into 8 minutes.

How did the emotions feel forced? Why would having the title cards make the emotions feel less forced? I think the audience can put two and two together without having to be told that Mob is feeling the way he does. We clearly see him transitioning through emotions throughout the fight; do we really need the title cards to sell that? Yes the title cards have always been a cool aesthetic of Mob psycho's narrative, but that's not what sells the emotional and thematic drama.

And yea it's 150 pages, but a lot of them are action shots that, when in motion, fly by in seconds. People seriously tend to forget that translating between mediums affect the pacing of action scenes drastically. What was probably 20 pages of just pure action scenes in a manga can be adapted all in a minute: we see this all the time. The ep covered the entire fight and adapted most of the scenes from the fight. The only action bits that were left out from the manga where: 1. Suzuki transforming Mob's cover smoke into thunder clouds and mob's compassion absorbing that energy 2. Suzuki bombarding mob with explosions after he levitated mob from the city rumble, and 3: A flurry of punches after Suzuki went 100%. With only those 3 scenes being left out, can we really say the fight scene was gimped of its thematic impact. Mob still questions Suzuki's philosophy, feels remorse for having to fight him, resigns any goodwill when he thinks Suzuki is beyond help, and then shows him kindness in his final hour.....I just don't see how the episode was thematically rushed.

That being said, it would have been a treat to see the fight go on a bit longer.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Gwydion wrote:
ChestPains wrote:
I wouldn't say it was that rushed, but I did miss the two instances of 100% [emotion] title cards previous to Suzuki calling him unstable. As it is it kinda looked like Mob just rapidly dialed it back instead of hitting the limit multiple times.
And that final scene lost some of the impact without the "100% Kindness" as he sits down with a defeated Suzuki. It was an odd decision to drop those title cards on the finale, especially since you can just place them anywhere on screen during dialogue.

I feel there were at least 1-3min of stuff that could've been cut to make space for that, but oh well what can you do.

As someone who has only seen the anime, I feel like this could be a case of feeling like it didn't impact as hard because you knew what was cut. I - and everyone I know that also saw it, as I don't know any manga readers personally - felt the swift change in emotions was handled great, with Bones going out of their way to make the mood swings as obvious and sudden as possible. Rather than text, which would break up the action and could ruin the pacing, they used facial/body expression, voice acting, and camera angles to show that each emotion he was hitting was an extreme.

I'm not saying you or anyone else that disagrees with me is wrong to feel that way, of course! I am usually one of those that has read the manga first and can therefore find myself missing details that an anime chose to leave out as well. But being someone who saw it with fresh eyes and didn't know anything was "missing", I still felt it was very easy to understand what was going on, and it definitely left an impact!

You are 100% Correct (I had to make the pun...), it is one of those cases. Unlike the other user I don't really think the fight itself was rushed but I would appreciate at least the percentage/letters on screen during certain moments (the last one in particular). It is definitely obvious what emotions he's feeling thanks to BONES but personally I really liked that after all the conflict, Mob's final emotion was an honest 100% Kindness towards Suzuki (100%! not just normal kindness), and I'd just have enjoyed seeing that somewhere on screen during his lines. I'd also have preferred they skipped the OP this time for a bit more time between the emotional changes but that's obviously preference regarding certain stylistic choices and not a flaw at all, which is why my personal rating remains a 5/5.
P.S. we love lain is also correct, the amount of pages in the fight fly by very quickly, like OPM's early online version having 20 pages that amount to 5s of animation.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:

I feel it skipped some moments in the final fight that drove home MP100's themes better than the anime did. But the vast majority of the material it has covered was included.

Except it didn't actually skip any moments in the fight that was thematically relevant from the manga. I'm actually surprised as to how much of the fight was adapted faithfully within the allotted time the episode had. Only about 3 scenes from the manga version of the fight were put on the chopping block and they were ultimately inconsequential. Besides that, everything thematically was left in place.

This could easily be nostalgia goggles coupled with it being a while since I read this fight in the manga, but my memory of the fight in the manga was that Mob's progressing emotions were more distinct plateaus, whereas I felt the emotional progressions fight in the anime was more just a direct arc with one or two plateaus. But this could easily also be due to the differences between manga and anime as mediums.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I loved this season of Mob Psycho 100. The only fault I find in it is a slightly sense of the final claw arc being a little too compact. It never stopped to fully show the emotions of the characters at the full extent. Still at least they gave serizawa (?) his due for half an ep. But still, stellar performances.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
An amazing finale and affirmation that this show is probably one of the best put out there in the last decade.

The theme of connecting with other people really really works for this episode and Mob initially concluding that Touichirou is the one person this fails to work on, only for the one-two punch of Mob trying to give solace to a dying man and Touichirou turning himself in and reminiscing on his family is excellent..
"I'm the protagonist of my own life." ;~~~~~;
The final intermission was perfect
The Body Improvement Club was great for deescalating things back to a far more mundane level.
Shou's very casual reveal that he still sees his mom every so often is both hilarious and depressing for Touichirou's inability to actually communicate with people.
Dimple trying out Serizawa's discarded hair as a wig was the best gag
Serizawa growing into his own and trying his best!! I have decided that Serizawa is second best boy.

This whole season was exactly what I was hoping for. I hope that we get a third and final season, and that it's still done by Bones with the same quality and dedication.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7