• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Michael B. Jordan Says Anime Inspired His Creed II Film Performance

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall Adonis Creed reaching any new power levels or yelling the names of his special attacks while boxing, so I'm gonna call bunk on this one.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I don't recall Adonis Creed reaching any new power levels or yelling the names of his special attacks while boxing, so I'm gonna call bunk on this one.

Its quite common for Americans to appropriate Japanese culture like anime for their own,
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

I realize you were probably joking, as there is obviously more to anime than shounen style shouting. But in this case in the video he did reference shounen series, but it was specifically in the context of shounen protagonists that refuse to quit and always manage to summon the strength to get back up and fight.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I had zero interest in Gen:Lock before this interview, and have only previously enjoyed RWBY of Roosterteeth's stuff (and, while the show's still a'right, I increasingly suspect a majority of my enjoyment comes from Jeff Williams and, especially, Casey Williams - what incredible sountracks!), but that they're starting to drag some big-name talent into the mix is really intriguing. Maybe I'll finally stop ignoring all those G:L ads spammed at the beginning of RWBY episodes and see if they're doing anything else worth a watch...
ballinamon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

Oh yeah, because I remember to Adonis training and becamen stronger than before. That sounds shounen to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:51 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:

Its quite common for Americans to appropriate Japanese culture like anime for their own,

Which is interesting being anime owes it's very existence to western animation.

ballinamon wrote:

Oh yeah, because I remember to Adonis training and becamen stronger than before. That sounds shounen to me.

The Creed films might as well be a a pared down retelling of Hajime no Ippo.

The only difference

- Adonis's personality
- Dad was a boxer, who he never got to meet
- Being Adonis's motivations for boxing
- Adonis isn't in high school
- Adonis can already box
- Spent time locked up as a teen and an adult
- Adonis quits a decent job to make a full transition to full time boxer
- Raised by his dad's widow
- Moves up in weight
- Doesn't have an inner circle of friends (led by a douche).
- Adonis doesn't take forever to hook up with the girl.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:

Thankfully some shows out of the states nowadays caught on to the idea of international global interaction and taking inspiration from human elements from nations other than one's own. I can't say much about this for the past three decades though.... But at least they got there, and in the right way. Let's hope the comics industry does the same.

Rocky in general has been a subtle but huge inspiration to shounen anime and manga as a whole. Even Kenshiro looks like a mix of Bruce Lee and Sylvester Stallone.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Rocky in general has been a subtle but huge inspiration to shounen anime and manga as a whole.

Rocky is likely an influence in Japan to some extent, but also remember that the anime/manga that's in many ways the most similar to Rocky, Ashita no Joe, predates Stallone's film by nearly 10 years (1968 vs. 1976), and is definitely a much larger inspiration to shonen anime & manga as a whole. Hell, they have enough similarities that AnJ's name in some European countries, like Italy, is "Rocky Joe".

That being said, someone's got to hook Michael B. Jordan up with some boxing anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:10 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
gloverrandal wrote:

It is well-known that the modern anime aesthetics was pioneered by Osamu Tezuka. From a Tezuka in English article called "Tezuka’s Life (1958 – 1964)".
Quote:
In 1964, Tezuka had the chance to meet one of his boyhood idols. While traveling to the 1964 New York’s World’s Fair as a special correspondent to the Sankei Shinbun, Tezuka had the opportunity for a very quick meeting with Walt Disney. Although it lasted for scarcely a minute, it was something he’d cherish for the rest of his life. Disney told Tezuka that he’d knew about Astro Boy (1963-66) and that he’d hoped he could do something similar in the future – a statement that had Tezuka brimming with pride and joy.

OK, Uncle Walt was arguably the first documented American celebrity who was a fan of anime or a specific anime title. Arguably, were it not for Walt's influence, modern anime as we know it might not exist. The modern era of anime began with the 10/1958 Toei film "Panda and the White Serpent".

However, there is a specific Western animated short that arguably is the grandparent of all cartoon and or animated characters with a personality. Winsor McCay's "Gertie", the first cartoon dinosaur, is widely considered the first cartoon character with a personality and she is arguably the first cartoon superstar. The person who got the rights to make the familiar live-action/animated short and fund it was himself a movie mogul. That man was a film producer named William Fox, the namesake of the Fox media empire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1