• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Launches Free Global MANGA Plus Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:21 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

That's fair, but I think you should at least be excited that this seems to be a step in a good direction for manga services. If services like this work out we'll likely see more genres, such as shoujo, get their own western services and apps.
I'm happy for international readers but we already have the Viz app here in the US so this feels a bit redundant to me.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

That's fair, but I think you should at least be excited that this seems to be a step in a good direction for manga services. If services like this work out we'll likely see more genres, such as shoujo, get their own western services and apps.
I'm happy for international readers but we already have the Viz app here in the US so this feels a bit redundant to me.

My understanding is that there's going to be some sort of second run serialization for many of their completed titles for free. So, essentially, the difference seems to be that Shonen Jump gets you the backlog for all those titles for $2 a month while MANGA gives you a handful of them for free over the course of time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:

My understanding is that there's going to be some sort of second run serialization for many of their completed titles for free. So, essentially, the difference seems to be that Shonen Jump gets you the backlog for all those titles for $2 a month while MANGA gives you a handful of them for free over the course of time.
I'm still confused by what this all means since it sounded like only the first few chapters would be free and later volumes you would have to purchase e-books digitally versus the Viz model where you get unlimited access for $2. So is it the case that all their manga will eventually be made free on the Manga Plus app?
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather stick with Viz. Outside the chapters I get with my subscription, I also purchase most series by volume digitally so I won't need it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm still confused by what this all means since it sounded like only the first few chapters would be free and later volumes you would have to purchase e-books digitally versus the Viz model where you get unlimited access for $2. So is it the case that all their manga will eventually be made free on the Manga Plus app?

Only the latest 3 and first 3 chapters for every series will be free to read. They expire after the newest third chapter come out, so you have to stay caught up otherwise you'll lose chapters. This also means this new service is useless for those that aren't current for any series.
As for the "completed" titles, once again, they will be releasing chapters weekly, and my understanding is that they will expire when 3 chapters are released ahead as well, so Naruto, Death Note, Jojo, Dragon Ball, etc will all take years to read the whole thing, and at no time will an entire series be free to read.
I will stick with Viz's Shonen Jump, as I'm not current with any series, but I am following several of them.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
Would've been nice if it worked with the Windows 10 Google Play. Though it's nice service.
Drunk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
This makes me so happy, I'm actually tearing up a little. I remember Shueisha's CEO saying a few years back that they wanted to step in internationally but apart from the US nothing really happened. So effing glad that it's finally here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:10 am Reply with quote
Just downloaded the new app. The biggest difference seems to be that Manga+ does not allow users to download any chapters on a device to read offline, whereas Viz does---unless you want to download "vault" previous chapters (between the first three and latest three) chapters onto a Kindle Fire tablet. They didn't make their new format supportable on Kindle Fire tablets.

Since I don't have an Android phone and primarily use my Kindle Fire to read manga, I'm a bit unhappy with both apps right now.

But the Manga+ apps runs smoothly and has more variety than Viz. I'm glad it's available around the world!
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
Is this why the WSJ app went down in price from $3 to $2 a month?
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
I really like this!
There is no official way to read latest chapters in most europe, other than waiting 1-2 years for the tankobon to come out. With this I can finally read all those weekly manga on my PC (I'm so glad they offer a website aswell, I don't have a smartphone, really dislike those) without having to use scanlations.
And what's even more important to me: It even has some ongoing recent series, no one is fan-translating so far.
I really hope they will add the majority of new jump series and even add some older not-so-popular-in-the west ones that were big hits in japan, like kochikame, harenchi gakuen, saint seiya and other kurumada titles, city hunter, hokuto no ken, rokudenashi blues, bobobo, slam dunk, hell teacher nube, eyeshield 21 and others. Really want to read all of those!

I even wouldn't mind paying for a subscription or something similar in order to read all chapters, even the ones that get hidden after 3 weeks.
I have waited for a service like this since a long time.

I really really hope this project will be successful and many people all over the world will use it!
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
The Viz Shonen Jump revamp has been great for me - paying £1.99 a month to have access to the backlog of all series is great value. The lack of the backlog makes this service much less preferable for me but it is great for regions not served by Viz to be able to legally read the latest chapters.
Artanis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
In the interview (animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-01-27/everything-you-need-to-know-about-manga-plus-by-shueisha/.142401) it says "You can also buy e-books of the tankobon versions of Jump titles" but I can't find any option to do so in the app nor in the website.

Is it region locked or I'm missing something?
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:29 am Reply with quote
The fact it offers a few series Viz doesn't is appealing, but I think I'll stick with Viz for everything else. But I am happy that all the countries locked out of Viz's release finally have access to a similar format!

Hopefully it'll be a big success and other manga publishers will start doing the same thing.

Mistaken wrote:
makes me wonder why they are so horribly late to the digital game, unlike webtoon. comic law, maybe?

I'm guessing it's due to how stubborn mangakas are about digital releases. I know Slam Dunk's creator has gone on record about being against digital releases of his work, and that attempts to do digital releases of series like Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter, etc. also got rejected by their mangakas.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:14 am Reply with quote
Artanis wrote:
In the interview (animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2019-01-27/everything-you-need-to-know-about-manga-plus-by-shueisha/.142401) it says "You can also buy e-books of the tankobon versions of Jump titles" but I can't find any option to do so in the app nor in the website.

Is it region locked or I'm missing something?

That question was about Shonen Jump+, not Manga Plus.
Quote:
How exactly does Shonen Jump+ work?

Through Shonen Jump+, you can purchase a digital version of each issue of Weekly Shonen Jump at the same time the print version comes out. You can also buy e-books of the tankobon versions of Jump titles. On top of that, there are original manga titles that are serialized exclusively through the service.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2