• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Crunchyroll On So Many Production Committees?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef Wrote:
Quote:
But does that mean we cannot discuss it?

Of course you can discuss anything you want. I just think it is kind of silly. It is bad enough to get upset about things that happen that you can't change. Some times you just have to vent. However you are worrying about something that isn't happening currently and for which there are no real indications of a trend in that direction. Actually we are much more likely to see a Chinese influence on anime than a western one. They are apparently putting a lot more money into the industry and have already made several co-productions.

Basically "sufficient unto the day the evil thereof". If I were you I'd be more concerned about the possibility of the whole anime business model falling apart. The cracks are showing.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
AkumaChef Wrote:
Quote:
But does that mean we cannot discuss it?

Of course you can discuss anything you want. I just think it is kind of silly. It is bad enough to get upset about things that happen that you can't change. Some times you just have to vent.

Sorry, maybe I gave the wrong impression. I'm not upset about it at all, and I hope I didn't come across as I was venting or ranting. Rather I find it a curiosity that's interesting to explore and discuss. I'm not mad, rather I think it's an interesting topic. I find it fascinating how we humans often end up changing, or sometimes even destroying, the very things we love as it becomes more popular. I don't say that as a complaint, I say it as an observation, knowing that I too am part of the process.

Quote:
However you are worrying about something that isn't happening currently and for which there are no real indications of a trend in that direction.

The political climate is constantly changing, as is what is considered appropriate to broadcast, be it on TV or otherwise. That's what's so fascinating about it. A couple decades ago LGBT content was something to be excluded. Today it's something to be embraced. If that sort of topic can do a complete 180 then plenty of other things can too.

Quote:
Actually we are much more likely to see a Chinese influence on anime than a western one. They are apparently putting a lot more money into the industry and have already made several co-productions.

I agree, but that's no different, really. The Chinese probably have a different set of hot button issues to avoid, or themes they want to explore than, say, Americans do, but it's still an outside influence on what was a uniquely Japanese medium. Who or where the influence is coming from is immaterial. The point is that it's there, and it's not Japanese.

I am not "worried" that the Animation industry will collapse. Though I do think there will be changes ahead. There is far too much money involved for the industry to disappear. And that's another interesting story to see unfold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3