• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toei Offers Refunds for Censored Japanese Blu-ray of 6th Dragon Ball Movie Compilation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't have minded that these edits were made for TV. Even then, I'm sure that in another universe, there's an anime channel with everything uncut on cable. When you go as far as VHS editing and make it the only version that exists for a single region, that's bad practice.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Which show ran longer has little to do with which was more popular,

Not really considering Gundam Wing was a staple of Cartoon Network back when they still cared about anime it was also the more popular of the Gundam series (likely owed to airing first) and that was while it was still edited.

AkumaChef wrote:

... I don't think we can take "which version ran the longest" as any sort of commentary on popularity because we have no idea which of many factor(s) resulted in those decisions.
But we can ask fans which version they prefer. I don't claim to have any scientific data on this, but out of the two decades I've been an anime fan, going to cons, hanging out with other fans, etc, I don't think I've ever heard a fan EVER mention that they preferred a censored show to the uncut one. I've heard plenty of fan gripes (and rants!) about edits but I've never heard anyone say: wow, I'm sure glad they cut the blood out of this action show, or "this Ecchi comedy is so much better when the boobs and butts are covered up".

The fact that no one bats an eye at Hercule still being call Hercule even in the DragonBall games says that people don't care to much about edits (depending on the severity of the edits) same thing with Pokemon which still airs edited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3