• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuffb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
That's basically what all this is. Conversation with no confirmation. These people are all free to file a police report against this guy and take him to court, but they know they don't have a case because there's no evidence. Some of these people have already been proven to be fraudsters on Twitter anyway. I get people don't like the guy. He's a Christian, and that upsets a lot of the yaoi fans out there, not to mention ANN's personal vendetta against the guy dating back to the mid 2000s. But if you're going to criticize him for giving his fans hugs and stuff, you're going to have to extend that scorn to virtually every celebrity ever. You can simply Google any anime voice actor and find pictures of them hugging and kissing kids or underage fans at conventions.

I think I've said this several times in this thread already - a lot of people involved in the anime industry are Christians. Caitlin Glass spoke pretty extensively about her faith on one of the interview series she did for Funimation, and a lot of other interviews. It would be a huge shock if a lot of the people who work at the Sentai and Funimation offices aren't Christians. I'm not aware of mobs with torches and pitchforks going after all of those people. I'm pretty such a lot of the posters on this site who enjoy dubbed anime would have positive feedback on their work - but also probably have never had a meaningful interaction with those people to serve as the basis for some kind of judgement of their character as people.

All of that is entirely separate from someone's behavior at conventions. Even if we want to apply the Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" standard here, is it really unfair to say that celebrity personalities at conventions should probably not be making intimate physical contact with minors? Again - just my opinion here, but the risk management for running these events is difficult enough without having to explain to your insurance company that your rates shouldn't go up to account for the possibility of your celebrity panelists getting handsy with a minor.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what you think about the allegations, I don't see how any convention appearances for him are feasible going forward. The concerns about his behavior aside, imagine the next time he's on a panel. It's gonna be like Woody Harrelson's AMA where he only wanted to be asked questions about Rampart.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
While I hope this gets taken seriously (in that Vic makes some dedicated behavioral changes), I don't see this impacting his livelihood all that much. The man is popular, exceedingly so, to the point that he's basically a household name in dub circles. I feel for these girls, truly, but sadly I think the most they'll get is a slap on the wrist from certain conventions as he cleans up his act. Despite all the fervor (and rightfully so) surrounding #MeToo, very, very few of those perpetrators have actually been charged and/or taken to court.

Also I don't buy the "I only sign canon stuff" excuse for the homophobia; he played Fai in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, and the series did reveal that Fai's soulmate is, wait for it, a guy! So any Kurogane x Fai stuff is legit and "canon", he just may not be comfortable accepting that as a staunch Christian.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
gossip - casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.

That's basically what all this is. Conversation with no confirmation.

Reminder: First hand accounts are evidence. This article is full of evidence. The only way you can claim this is nothing but gossip is if you assume everyone involved is a liar.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
While I hope this gets taken seriously (in that Vic makes some dedicated behavioral changes), I don't see this impacting his livelihood all that much. The man is popular, exceedingly so, to the point that he's basically a household name in dub circles. I feel for these girls, truly, but sadly I think the most they'll get is a slap on the wrist from certain conventions as he cleans up his act. Despite all the fervor (and rightfully so) surrounding #MeToo, very, very few of those perpetrators have actually been charged and/or taken to court.

Even if he never faces charges, the conventions that have him and companies that work with him will have to answer to fans as to why they are doing so.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
Yet ANN comes outa nowhere and posts this HUGE gossip piece on how a big a Dick he is. Really? Is this something that we will see more of?

This article is a first for ANN as far as I can see, and am basically concerned that we will start seeing more articles that would make the National Inquirer editors proud.
Vic is a Christian that holds Bible study sessions and won't sign Yaoi fan art so some people have complained about him for years. There have been other well known people in the anime industry with allegations made against them in the last month so it is noticeable that the twitter campaign is concentrating on Vic. The twitter campaign has some people that bring up his religion with disparaging comments and that does increase my skepticism about why he is the one that is getting this much attention.

xBTAx wrote:
The story that’s often brought up - him lying about a creator telling him a character he voiced is totally not gay - is indeed him being homophobic. It’s a small, petty act of homophobia on his part, but homophobia regardless.
Have you considered the possibility that someone did tell him that?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

xBTAx wrote:
The story that’s often brought up - him lying about a creator telling him a character he voiced is totally not gay - is indeed him being homophobic. It’s a small, petty act of homophobia on his part, but homophobia regardless.
Have you considered the possibility that someone did tell him that?

I entertain the idea that when Vic asked, the anime staff didn't know for sure whether or not Fai was gay, but certainly by the time the manga wrapped up that was no longer up for debate. Thus his allegations of it being "not canon" no longer hold water, as the source material proved that the "gay interpretation" was in fact correct.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
is if you assume everyone involved is a liar.

That's easier to do than you think. I haven't payed much attention to this whole controversy, but when casually looking at things turns up that the girl in one of the photos that ANN used in this article posted on Vic's fanclub's facebook a week ago decrying the use of her photo and calling the people using it liars... well then the other photos starts to become much more suspect.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:

That's easier to do than you think. I haven't payed much attention to this whole controversy, but when casually looking at things turns up that the girl in one of the photos that ANN used in this article posted on Vic's fanclub's facebook a week ago decrying the use of her photo and calling the people using it liars... well then the other photos starts to become much more suspect.

Even if what you're saying is true, the only issue I can see is that the girl in the photo does not ascribe the same predatory intent to the hug that other people do. But it doesn't change the fact that Vic has a demonstrable pattern of interacting inappropriately with underage fans, often without their consent. If each and every hug (AND kiss) had been prefaced with "can I get a kiss/hug", this would be a totally different story. But anyone who happily agreed to a hug did not ALSO agree to a kiss (and vice versa, unless the girls in the photos specifically asked for both), and it's this impromptu, non-consenual behavior that's being called into question.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
when it seems like the majority aren't really asking for much beyond an apology and a promise to not continue.

That would be a positive outcome but people don't like that, they want his life & career ruined.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
meruru wrote:
when it seems like the majority aren't really asking for much beyond an apology and a promise to not continue.

That would be a positive outcome but people don't like that, they want his life & career ruined.

Well, if people are doing that, I haven't seen it, and I imagine that they're probably an outspoken and extreme minority. If anything, it seems that on ANN you see much more of the opposite extreme.
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
stuffb wrote:
I think I've said this several times in this thread already - a lot of people involved in the anime industry are Christians. Caitlin Glass spoke pretty extensively about her faith on one of the interview series she did for Funimation, and a lot of other interviews. It would be a huge shock if a lot of the people who work at the Sentai and Funimation offices aren't Christians. I'm not aware of mobs with torches and pitchforks going after all of those people. I'm pretty such a lot of the posters on this site who enjoy dubbed anime would have positive feedback on their work - but also probably have never had a meaningful interaction with those people to serve as the basis for some kind of judgement of their character as people.

All of that is entirely separate from someone's behavior at conventions. Even if we want to apply the Charles Barkley "I am not a role model" standard here, is it really unfair to say that celebrity personalities at conventions should probably not be making intimate physical contact with minors? Again - just my opinion here, but the risk management for running these events is difficult enough without having to explain to your insurance company that your rates shouldn't go up to account for the possibility of your celebrity panelists getting handsy with a minor.

Do people ask Caitlin Glass to sign yuri fanart and things get awkward when she refuses? Honest question, don't know much about her. Vic is a pretty outspoken Christian, and almost all these accusations tend to also mention his views on homosexuality. It's obviously a sore spot for some people. Plus there's a big popularity difference.

So many convention guests hug and kiss fans at events because they ask for one and they want to give the fans what they want. If people really have an issue with guests doing it, they should talk about in the sense of convention etiquette, rather than singling one guy out. Given all the MeToo drama, perhaps conventions will start to police it and say no one can make those requests anymore.

Utsuro no Hau wrote:
Reminder: First hand accounts are evidence. This article is full of evidence. The only way you can claim this is nothing but gossip is if you assume everyone involved is a liar

I know of at least one person who is definitely lying. The person who is using that one girls photo without her permission. One of the women pictured in this article has said she does not want her photo with Vic being used to slander his name, and people are using it along with a false testimony someone made up.
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I've heard all about the diva stories and the fact that he refused to sign the doujin of Fai, but if he's not comfortable about it, that's his choice.

What pings my radar though is the fact that he asked a FIFTEEN YEAR OLD for their phone number!

I don't care if it's just advice for voice acting or whatever. That's a red sign right there. You're 45 years old; where was this teen's parents?

Overall though, I'm starting to wonder wtf has Vic done? A VA that I follow on twitter was saying something about how certain people in the anime industry were terrible, but denied it was Vic that they were talking about.
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
stuffb wrote:
Gator Gamer wrote:
That's basically what all this is. Conversation with no confirmation. These people are all free to file a police report against this guy and take him to court, but they know they don't have a case because there's no evidence. Some of these people have already been proven to be fraudsters on Twitter anyway. I get people don't like the guy. He's a Christian, and that upsets a lot of the yaoi fans out there, not to mention ANN's personal vendetta against the guy dating back to the mid 2000s. But if you're going to criticize him for giving his fans hugs and stuff, you're going to have to extend that scorn to virtually every celebrity ever. You can simply Google any anime voice actor and find pictures of them hugging and kissing kids or underage fans at conventions.

Being based in Texas, I would be surprised if most of the Sentai/Funi staff weren't Christians. But I don't think people are checking for Caitlin Glass like they are for Vic...
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Anyone genuinely looking for conversation in this thread, keep in mind that Vic has repeatedly asked his fans and most specifically the Risembool Rangers to counter all arguments made against him, as recently as last week in his Discord channel. Don't be surprised when you have a slew of people repeating the butthurt yaoi fangirls who don't like Christian's angle, or the argument that anybody speaking up is doing so for attention, or that it was all conveniently tied in with the recent Broly movie. They're on a campaign attacking victims on Twitter and downvoting YouTube videos on the subject that suggest that maybe Vic isn't the hero people think he is.

Anybody else in here concerned about ANN's direction, I certainly understand that train of thought. I think it's possible to kindly disagree with an argument being made, and I don't think everyone in this thread is on a crusade in Vic's honor. But I do think that the number of Rangers out there trying to call this article a smear campaign in the name of their Great Leader are making anyone's honest and earnest opinions of the article, even understandably critical ones, sort of disappear into the noise of blind fangirl devotion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 28