• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Far From Perfect': Fans Recount Unwanted Affection from Voice Actor Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I think they mean that there are just people who are commentators, like hosts on The View or Wendy Williams, I dare say even Alex Jones.

Alex Jones is what YouTube was meant to be. A person who blabs constantly on things that are not true, but he is believed anyway because the people that subscribe to his crap want to find someone who spews the lies they love so much.

Many of the Youtubers who stand by Vic, do the same thing as Alex. They spout obvious lies and then continue to repeat more lies with each video.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
I think, one of the saddest things I've realised today, is that many people seem to believe Youtubers that are covering this story. People who don't have access to anything I don't...are being used as a newsource.

I'm confused, are you saying YouTubers are not news sources? They have press passes and are invited to events to cover topics like any other journalist. A lot of established web-based news outlets are making the shift over to YouTube because that's where the audience is and where technology is leading, and phasing out their writing staff because they're becoming outdated. Only 8% of Gen Z get their news from old media like newspapers and

Some might.

Not all youtubers are the same, because Youtube isn't a news source. Every Youtube channel is independent. Some are reliable, some aren't, and the reliability of one has nothing to do with the reliability of any other.

(Also, "The audience chooses X" does not mean "X is a reliable source". "What goes in" vs. "The response to what comes out" - this is... at the heart of so many debates nowadays, it's an important thing to be aware of)

....... so, I was posting this in the other thread when it got locked, and like... I sort of feel like it needs to be said. Actually, it's sort of the same as that, like. Saying "Twitter", "Youtube", "The anime community", "Fandom", as if these are unilateral groups...

like .... what "anime community"? What "Twitter"?
(Because the Twitter I know is literally nothing about Vic, because I don't follow any English anime accounts... or, really, any anime accounts, period.)

That's the thing about the internet - you can start your own community so easily.
You can make a forum with your own friends. You can make the rules you want it to have, set the tone, etc. and cut those people out.

You also don't have to talk about it online in order to watch it. You don't have to talk about anything online. You can have fun enjoying it in person, by yourself or with others.

You don't have to put up with those people.

You don't have to either put up with them, or quit watching anime.

(..... then again, "enjoying it in person, by yourself or with others, and not posting online" might be considered "leaving the fandom", but like... I feel like the vast majority of the audience of anything, enjoy it like that, and the people online are vastly in the minority.)

Anyway, FUNi knows that those "dudebros" aren't going to make a big dent in their sales.

So those comments aren't going to make them reverse their decision.
They were probably waiting for their chance to get rid of him, anyway.

.... ahahahaha I am sooo glad I stopped going to US conventions years ago. The scene was insanely toxic back then (like when I did Artist Alley in a convention center with literally just a curtain between me and Vic's cult in the main events stage). It's probably only gotten worse, like everything else.
But at least there's still one good fandom, and if that gets popular enough for a dub, I don't have to worry about Vic being in it.

(if this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, it's 2am here)
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
I'm confused, are you saying YouTubers are not news sources? They have press passes and are invited to events to cover topics like any other journalist. A lot of established web-based news outlets are making the shift over to YouTube because that's where the audience is and where technology is leading, and phasing out their writing staff because they're becoming outdated. Only 8% of Gen Z get their news from old media like newspapers and websites. It's just the way technology is heading.

I've watched a few YouTube videos on the subject, and they seem to cover things a lot more in-depth. I've learned a lot of new details that I never knew about. For example I only found out about that Funimation voice-actress who faked her own swatting because they were the first ones to break the story.

Not all of them, no. Which is why I said there are people who have access to the same info I do, and are being used as a news source on this. There are some that are being used as a news source, that are clearly biased and spreading misinformation that they're seeing on social media.

Those are the ones I'm speaking about.

Add to that, maybe not all cons are the same, but a press pass doesn't equate a journalists. That alone isn't a qualifier. I listen to a number of podcasts (mostly about comics), where these guys have press passes, and give out what is fed to them as "news" (mostly promos for upcoming stuff), and they don't consider themselves journalists at all. At the end of the day, they're just average joes that have an audience, and have the privilege of a press pass (where they get free entry to some conventions too, lucky bastards).

I've seen YouTube videos on the Vic story, the only new piece of information I learnt was that there was a person in a FB group that was trying to get others to photoshop images to "make Vic look worse". Though, this lone person's posts were then being used by many to state there was a anti-Vic group doctoring evidence.

And, on the swatting, they did have a property broken into. If the people on YouTube were all journalists, they would've done what ANN has done. There was a break in, the photos on FB were recycled, and it's only the property owner that is attributing this to pro-Vic people. Others who initially supported them, have backtracked.

Some YouTubers wouldn't have uncovered the full story, as they're not all journalists. Which is why people need to be really careful, because YouTube is much like Wikipedia. Many have access, but not everyone has the right (or all the necessary) information.
Sky Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:59 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Considering he's been the butt of these jokes for at least 10 years, this article seems late and more like bullying than exposing someone "abusing power." Yeah, he's "famous" in anime circles, but he hardly has much influence - he's certainly not a Harvey Weinstein. Yes, sneaking a kiss on the cheek or hugging without permission is assault (or battery, depending on your legal jurisdiction) - but it's also very minor in the scale of unwanted contact.

Anime After Dark panels have had voice actors admit (on multiple occasions) that if it weren't for them being worried about their careers, they would spill their guts about Vic in an instant. The guy is essentially an A-lister in the industry, he has connections and influence

He's also active in Star Trek fandom for his work in the web series Star Trek Continues; I wonder what this news will do to his standing in that sphere.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So... what I have to say doesn't really have to do with whether or not Vic is really innocent or guilty, but it has everything to do with Funimation firing him this late.

So, in FMA 2003, in the Japanese version, Ed straight up says that he is an atheist. No ambiguity, no dancing around the subject, no room for debate. Edward Elric is an atheist. In the English Dub, Edward skirts around the issue and the dialogue is changed so that he never says that he's an atheist outright. Given Vic's religious background, it's been speculated (and I have no reason to doubt this) that Vic asked for the dialogue to be changed to suit what he was comfortable saying. Keep in mind, this was episode one of FMA.

Now, here's my question. If any of this is true... why the hell didn't FUNimation fire this moron right then and there!? An actor who doesn't feel comfortable portraying the material he's given has no place in the lead role of a dub! I think Funimation should have removed him from the industry long before any of these allegations and gotten someone else to voice Edward.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
So... what I have to say doesn't really have to do with whether or not Vic is really innocent or guilty, but it has everything to do with Funimation firing him this late.

So, in FMA 2003, in the Japanese version, Ed straight up says that he is an atheist. No ambiguity, no dancing around the subject, no room for debate. Edward Elric is an atheist. In the English Dub, Edward skirts around the issue and the dialogue is changed so that he never says that he's an atheist outright. Given Vic's religious background, it's been speculated (and I have no reason to doubt this) that Vic asked for the dialogue to be changed to suit what he was comfortable saying. Keep in mind, this was episode one of FMA.

Now, here's my question. If any of this is true... why the hell didn't FUNimation fire this moron right then and there!? An actor who doesn't feel comfortable portraying the material he's given has no place in the lead role of a dub! I think Funimation should have removed him from the industry long before any of these allegations and gotten someone else to voice Edward.

I've noticed that Funi's dub writers change things around A LOT sometimes. Like the comment about GamerGate in one of their series....

Honestly he should've been fired for being that much of a pain in the butt...
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Gen Fukunaga also co-founded a Christian movie studio and is supposedly a conservative evangelical Christian himself, so it wasn't necessarily Vic who made the changes. Disregarding even that, there's a pretty sizable portion of the American audience that would reject an explicitly atheist protagonist, so it's possible the scriptwriter made that change to keep its broad appeal rather than their own agenda.

Not that I agree with the change, but it's kind of a big logical leap. There could be a lot of things that made them choose that tactic.

Quote:
've noticed that Funi's dub writers change things around A LOT sometimes. Like the comment about GamerGate in one of their series....

Honestly he should've been fired for being that much of a pain in the butt...

A throwaway line referencing current events isn't equivalent to changing a major character motivation.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Because Vic more than likely had nothing to do with that change. Funimation dubs have always edited and made alterations to the dialog when they dub shows. It's a practice they still do today. If you watch any anime dubbed by them, you're experiencing changes like that for just about every series. Many voice actors have gone on record saying they're uncomfortable with certain content they're voicing, that even includes Vic's accusers. Ecchi anime in particular is an embarrassing genre they don't like voicing, sometimes even going so far as to using pseudonyms for those dubs because they don't want it attached to their real names and resumes.

Full Metal Alchemist's manga was also censored when it came to religious content, like crosses and religious imagery being removed, and Vic had nothing to do with the manga release as it was handled by Viz and not Funimation.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So... when FMA was dubbed, no one really knew that it was going to be this huge in America. As such, I doubt the change was made to be more suitable for conservative Christian audiences. On the contrary, One Piece was an anime that was vastly popular both abroad and domestically by the time Funimation rescued it. One of the very first arcs they dubbed was Skypiea, in which Zoro, one of the protagonists, admits to being atheist. Admittedly, he's not really as harsh about it as Ed is, saying something more along the lines of "If you wanna believe in God, I'm not gonna tell you not to, but I don't."

Bottom line, Funimation, as of 2007 at least, has no problem putting atheism in their scripts from the POV of the protagonists. Either things were different back in 2005 (two years is a lot of time for a company to changes their values admittedly) or Vic, a well-known conservative Christian himself, was being difficult and refused to portray the line about Ed being atheist.

I clearly have no more evidence than anyone else, but the fact that Vic has gone on record at conventions saying "Ed isn't an atheist. He's just confused." despite Ed's Japanese dialogue specifically debunking this, makes me think that Vic genuinely wanted the character to be softly rewritten to suit his own tastes. IF this is the case, Funimation should've fired him long ago and gotten one of their other many talented VAs at the time to voice Ed (Chris Patton would've been okay, but if Todd Haberkorn was around at the time, I'd have gone with him).

Obviously I have no issue with atheists, religious types, or what have you. My issue is purely with rewriting the character to suit a person's own tastes. This is far different from "enhancing" a character like the dub of Yu Yu Hakusho does, or taking jokes that wouldn't work in English and rewriting the dub to be funny to Americans like Sgt Frog's dub. This is essentially deciding to remake another person's character in your own image.

It doesn't help that later, in FMAB, King Bradley (RIP) gave a pretty epic speech about how God is nothing more than a fable made up to promote order and that the Ishvalens should try to change things with their own hands, not God's. Considering that his point wasn't necessarily villainous in and of itself, are you guys saying this line was allowed because Bradley was a villain? Doubtful. I think Ed Baylock was simply comfortable saying such lines where Vic wasn't.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Let's reel things back in please. This current discussion is getting quite off topic from being related to Vic.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Sky Captain wrote:
[He's also active in Star Trek fandom for his work in the web series Star Trek Continues; I wonder what this news will do to his standing in that sphere.

Well Star Trek Continues had the kibosh put on it by Paramount along with all other Star Trek fan projects around about the time they announced Discovery so not much there will have changed in terms of the chances of putting out new episodes. However, even if Paramount hadn't he and Michele Specht who played Dr. Elise McKennah breaking off their engagement might have made that... awkward... anyway especially as she's now commented on the recent Vic situation in the i09 article (which even if he states he perceived some of things he was accused of as consensual does confirm he did attempt to cheat on her even by his own admission).

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:
[He's also active in Star Trek fandom for his work in the web series Star Trek Continues; I wonder what this news will do to his standing in that sphere.

Well Star Trek Continues had the kibosh put on it by Paramount along with all other Star Trek fan projects around about the time they announced Discovery so not much there will have changed in terms of the chances of putting out new episodes. However, even if Paramount hadn't he and Michele Specht who played Dr. Elise McKennah breaking off their engagement might have made that... awkward... anyway especially as she's now commented on the recent Vic situation in the i09 article (which even if he states he perceived some of things he was accused of as consensual does confirm he did attempt to cheat on her even by his own admission).

Actually, they did put out a few more episodes after the CBS lawsuit. For the record, Paramount no longer has rights to make TV series based on Trek. That lawsuit was specifically against one Star Trek fan production, and guidelines were only issued at the insistence of the Axanar producers. Not to mention, the lawsuit brought to the light the fact that Axanar has spent nearly all of the money it crowdfunded prior to the lawsuit being filed, and never filmed one minute of the movie. Alec Peters has been using the funds to pay himself a salary, launch a commercial business, and buy gifts for friends, his girlfriend at the time, and family. Even if the lawsuit had not been launched, the movie would have never been made, especially as most of the Peter’s staff left over his reckless spending of funds.

CBS and Paramount have mostly left the majority of fan projects alone, as long as they didn't cross the line as badly Axanar did. You can’t crowdfund a million dollars using the Star Trek name, burn through the money for personal expenses, and then sell bootleg Trek merchandise to try to recover and expect not to get sued.

Like in anime, Vic is very divisive in the Trek world. Some fans were annoyed when he was found to be selling autographed photos of him with the Star Trek logo and name, and I’m actually surprised CBS didn’t go after for that. He’s also notably had scuffles with some of the actual Trek cast, like William Shatner, as well as the producers of several other fan films. But regardless, Continues is done and had released it’s final episodes long before any of this happened, so it’s mostly a mute point now.
HaruTheWizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:03 am Reply with quote
My only experience of Vic Mignogna was after waiting in line at a convention for around ten minutes. It was very hot, temperature wise, moods were all over the place. I'm a guy. I was sixteen. I got a hug from Vic. He said he liked my hair. I got an autograph and a quote. That was pretty much it.

Aside from that.. well I don't know. I don't like a lot of dub voice actors. Vic falls into my mid category for English voice over quality.

If these allegations are all true, for me it just looks like another case of 'like the art, not the artist'. I don't want my enjoyment of DBZ or FMA to flat line because of this drama.

Funnily enough, the first time I became aware of Vic's womanising is from a few early Yugioh Abridged references from 2006/2007.
RoseGirlTT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Daisylock wrote:
Back in 2011, Sean Schemmel put his hand under my skirt at Anime Midwest It happened in a hallway after one of his panels. Sad This doesn't have anything to do with Vic Mignogna, but it seemed appropriate to share it in this thread.

I have had this happen too. I literally joined to just to let you and everyone know so you don't feel alone. I met sean many years ago I can try to find out exactly when and where later. He was just signing stuff and I got to him finally after an hour. He was alone at the table my back was to everyone else behind. He signed a goku picture I have somewhere in my storage and after he took my pen and put it back into my tanktop between my boobs.

When he did it though he pulled down my top, seemingly purposely to get a cheap look. He was staring dead at them for the moment it was down then looked back at me and said his farewell. Was completely unprofessional and pissed me off.

I met Vic a different time and yes he hugged me and was very personal but never attempted to pull down my top, ask me for a number, anything, he was very kind but didn't treat me inappropriately. So I guess everyone has different experiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 28 of 28