• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why is Mad_Scientist a moderator?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My complaint stems from the near nothingness response to the situation in that you're saying mods are virtually no different from normal users. I beg to disagree especially given Mad_Scientist own position they want the forum to be a better place for all users. Taking forum issues off site doesn't solve that problem, it only promotes it because you get into a case of fighting fire with fire. Having a moderator or any member of your staff participating in sophermic actions instead of civil discourse will only cause more problems in the long term.

Hit the nail right on the head. ANN is a business, volunteer or not their actions on Social Media reflect poorly on your Brand. Mods are not end users, they CENSOR, edit, and delete viewpoints they don't like. Your standard members cannot do that so that argument is invalid.

I lurk more then post, the things I am seeing lately on ANN forums are getting out of hand, shrugging that off speaks volumes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Quote:
My complaint stems from the near nothingness response to the situation in that you're saying mods are virtually no different from normal users. I beg to disagree especially given Mad_Scientist own position they want the forum to be a better place for all users. Taking forum issues off site doesn't solve that problem, it only promotes it because you get into a case of fighting fire with fire. Having a moderator or any member of your staff participating in sophermic actions instead of civil discourse will only cause more problems in the long term.

Hit the nail right on the head. ANN is a business, volunteer or not their actions on Social Media reflect poorly on your Brand. Mods are not end users, they CENSOR, edit, and delete viewpoints they don't like. Your standard members cannot do that so that argument is invalid.

I lurk more then post, the things I am seeing lately on ANN forums are getting out of hand, shrugging that off speaks volumes.

I made a lengthy post about this a long while ago here in the Feedback forum - provided significant documented evidence of a mod behaving badly, and it was met with shrugs and excuses. I think ANN has made it clear that the general rule is "might makes right." Thus, behavior that might seem a bit unethical for a staffer is going to be allowed. I don't recall the last time that any questionable behavior by an ANN staff was met with some kind of public response of accountability. Many years ago.

Even if I agree with some of the positions ANN has taken on certain current issues (and I am fairly sure that I do), there aren't many businesses that would allow staff to create off site social media presences to mock the customers, even the bad ones. There is no world in which that is a good business practice, particularly when the staff has powers to directly police those same customers.

But this is a private business. They can do whatever they want. I just don't think it will benefit ANN over time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I made a lengthy post about this a long while ago here in the Feedback forum - provided significant documented evidence of a mod behaving badly, and it was met with shrugs and excuses. I think ANN has made it clear that the general rule is "might makes right." Thus, behavior that might seem a bit unethical for a staffer is going to be allowed. I don't recall the last time that any questionable behavior by an ANN staff was met with some kind of public response of accountability. Many years ago.

Even if I agree with some of the positions ANN has taken on certain current issues (and I am fairly sure that I do), there aren't many businesses that would allow staff to create off site social media presences to mock the customers, even the bad ones. There is no world in which that is a good business practice, particularly when the staff has powers to directly police those same customers.

But this is a private business. They can do whatever they want. I just don't think it will benefit ANN over time.

What you did before was soapbox because you got your hand slapped for being rude and belligerent towards other users (and were reported for it several times by said users). Then you wanted to be argumentative and deny any of it, while trying to turn it around and say how the mods were just big and mean and you were just a poor martyr. Here you are soapboxing again on it while trying to play the victim card as before.

As for the topic at hand Tempest has addressed it, as has Mad Scientist herself so there's not much more to say. If you have that much of a concern about Mad Scientist as a mod then by all means PM Tempest or Zac and tell them directly.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2