• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why A Certain Magical Index Fans Love Touma

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saihamaru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
actually it's not just Touma
almost all of kazuma kamachi's protagonists have this plot armor problem
everything went almost too smoothly for them
even if the same thing happened to some side characters and they die instantly, the protagonist will be okay, some minor wounds maybe, but nothing life threatening

before the action, if the protagonist explain how something work, even if only theoretically, it will work that way
at least 90% of the time (heavy object, i'm looking at you)
while the remaining 10% will lead to some plot twist (usually in blood sign, when the White Queen has anything to do with it)
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
I find Touma generally engaging as a protagonist, but when it comes to him as a character I can only think about his apex in NT9. Please please please let there be a Season 4 that does it justice.

Think about that... you're asking for them to put at least 9 (but lets be real they are going to finish the Othinus arc at that point) books into a season and do it justice?
It could be a long season!
laddy-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Touma is a boring shit . he has not helped me get through the series at all . he has a strong power, and godlike plot armour, but is just an arrogant dud that has interesting things happen to him . he is lucky af, but to counter that he is made dense aff . pretty standard . I guess he does look pretty cool when he's walking in OP 4 of the series, and the mystery surrounding his power is interesting, but meh ole Touma is just Touma and the writer (who I consider quite talented) probably has a good reason for making him so.
Stiles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
I remember when I first started watching Index, I was taken aback by Kamijou's memory loss following the conclusion of the first arc. Really bothered me that they spent six episodes building this guy up, just to completely reset him. It turned me off so much that I had nearly dropped the show entirely, but then the Sisters arc happened and I quickly forgot about it.

A few years, four anime seasons and a few dozen novels later, I realize how much I want Touma to destroy the illusions that version of me thought at that time. I love the universe and characters that Kamachi has created and am always looking forward to what's next.

Accelerator is still my favorite, but I do love Kamijou and never quite understood where the hate for him comes from, but this article and responses are certainly illuminating. Maybe opinions of him will gradually change if we're lucky enough to get a NT adaptation.

But even if they don't, there's a lot of great material coming, so fingers crossed. Smile
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Here is my opinion on Touma. He isn't my favorite character, he is under Hamazura, Accelerator and Misaka, and just a bit above Misaki. And I feel like he was created just before the times when having a MC not completely good became cool (Ainz, Kazuma, Subaru, Hachiman). But that is also why I like him, he has become like a simbol of what a Good Hero should be: Always goes head on, does not kill and never compromises his principles. He is not perfect, he has not saved everyone, he suffers for his decisions, but he always stands up again. At some point, his fights evolved into a battle of principals and the outlandish things he does are part of the joke when he says that he is just "an everyday high school boy which can be found anywhere".
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I've posted in the normal index chat before but I dislike Touma so much.

My main issue, and this is probably going to sound absurd unless i type it out, he isn't thematically interesting to me. To me, Touma is the overly headstrong, goes in with his super fist, and solves all the issues guy. There is no consideration in his mind of consequences or reasoning until much later in the NT volumes of Index. This honestly just makes him a shonen protagonist to me, unnuanced

By contrast, my favorite technically LN character is Kiritsugu Emiya. He has his powers and abilities but can't charge in. He also is hyper aware of the consequences of his actions in terms of lives and the like and himself faces real consequences and revelations. Touma hasn't had any of the revelations or consequences hit him and so charges in constantly. Hell, even in NT when he does start thinking more, he still charges in quite often.

Another thing is the everyman thing he tries to do like to Itsuwa at the start of the Acqua of the Back arc. He claims to be an average high schooler despite all that happens and that ticked me off. One should be aware of their place in the world and the grand scheme of things before making such a stupid statement. I get it's supposed to ground him but grounding him and making him seem ignorant are two different things.

Finally, he doesn't have the weight of someone as heavily as Accelerator and Hamazura. Accelerator has Last Order, Hamazura has his girlfriend. Touma in theory has Index but they don't interact in a way that make me think they really are a thing.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Finally, he doesn't have the weight of someone as heavily as Accelerator and Hamazura. Accelerator has Last Order, Hamazura has his girlfriend. Touma in theory has Index but they don't interact in a way that make me think they really are a thing.

Don't expect that last bit to become true in the long run. Index is a side character first and foremost and people think she'll be important cause her name's on the tittle... only that shouldn't have been the case had *insert index's publisher* let Kamachi change the title of the LN every vol like he wanted. <.<
error5051

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I would say it's not so much touma's charicter people like but the "to aru" world from his point of veiw. all the things that happen due to the people around him lead to interesting events to say the least. motoharu,styl,kanzaki,misaka and accelerator all bring a level of depth to the story that nicely fills the gap between a simple shounen like boku no hero and the more serious attack on titan.
Overall97629661

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Seriously there are people who love him? I from every point of view I see him as the worst protagonist I've ever met, he's practically like Ichigo de bleach but even more insipid, he has no interest whatsoever in the plots that he that surround it, he does not even seem to have an interest in his own life, As @Izanagi009 says, the consequences of his actions are never taken into account, for example: he defeats an entire religious sect and then returns to his life as if nothing had happened, it is absurd and boring, it is as if the author kept him in a eternal status quo not to bother to develop it as a character, I also realize in part that it is like Saitama does not care much if there is any background behind so much monster attack him simply appears for finish with a punch.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:49 am Reply with quote
Overall97629661 wrote:
for example: he defeats an entire religious sect and then returns to his life as if nothing had happened, it is absurd and boring,

If he is happy with his life, why should it change. All too often, when there are great changes, you can't go home again. At least home as it used to be.

Perhaps it is boring, but would any of us want our lives to be constantly in danger, with the threat of death or other horrendous things hanging over our heads and that of our families and friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2