• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I was looking at Twitter and I noticed that Todd Haberkorn was being brought up as well, did something happen with him? this is the first I've heard of it.

To make a long story short Jessie Pridemore recounted a time when Vic acted threateningly towards her regarding a sexual encounter with another VA, who she did not publicly name at the time. She stated that the VA in question plied her with drinks and took her back to his room, where they had sex that she was in no shape to consent to, i.e., rape.

Todd Haberkon then outed himself as the other VA involved, but claimed it was consensual drunken sex.

Adam Sheehan then refuted Todd's claims, as he was there when the majority of the drinking occurred, and substantiated Jessie's claims that she had been given too many drinks to knowingly consent to anything. He supports Jessie's statement.

EDIT: It should be noted that posters were warned not to discuss the Haberkron situation while in the other Vic thread because that was an easy way to redirect/derail the topic with whataboutism, so heads up that these posts will maybe get deleted.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
And it was just announced that every con invite he had, except for the one to Anime Masturi has been canceled.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
Vanadise wrote:
WTF? Do you have a source for that?

https://twitter.com/LLawliet901/status/1092319499448209410

You mean that video where he got lost at a Dallas airport and didn't realize he was in the women's room until it was too late? When you spread misinformation, idiots are going to believe it.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
[url]Check out @VoiceOfVegeta’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/status/1092814170096103426?s=09[/url]

Chris Sabat's recent tweet is telling on this situation.

Given this article and the arrogance in their tweets, all I can say is I find them just as guilty as Vic. Like Hollywood with Weinstein, they purposely overlooked Vic's actions and enabled him by simply not saying "stop". They known him for well over a decade and if they stood up way back when, none of these young women would have been wronged! Instead, they enabled it. (From what I hear, only Monica Rial said she challenged Vic with this years ago).

As much as they entertained me over the years, I lost respect for them as a whole. They are literally kicking a man while he's down and enjoying it. Love or Hate Vic, he was one of the few VA's that actually loved to mingle with the crowds. Yes, Vic things took things TOO far, and I honestly wished today's society was still the forgiving type. But I see this getting uglier, and it only detracts us as a whole.

If you see something wrong, stand up and say something! You never know, if someone didn't realize they were doing a wrong, very well might never do it again!

And Kaplan, you should've said something backstage! I'm sure you would've gotten an apology.

Last edited by SWAnimefan on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
faboo95

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Gator Gamer wrote:
Neil Kaplan's take was just... a piggy back ride? Seems a bit of gasping at straws now.

Gator Gamer wrote:
But that's what a piggy back ride is. It's impossible for your butt or crotch not to be touching someone. It's like me saying since a woman's breasts always press into you when they hug you, any time a woman hugged Vic it was basically him touching their breasts. It wasn't the intention of the gesture and he knows it, but he's trying to frame it as some sinister molestation play that anyone with common sense should be able to tell the difference between.

I'm super glad that I'm not the only one thinks this. I mean don't get me wrong, by no means do I think this invalidates or devalues any of the other allegations or Kaplan's discomfort, but to claim this incident as another example of sexual harassment is just such a stretch.

Can't really say much of the other allegations though. As someone else said, MAYBE it's just him being oblivious of personal boundaries, but I highly doubt it.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
And it was just announced that every con invite he had, except for the one to Anime Masturi has been canceled.

Well, yeah, considering that the Matsuri convention organizer, John Leigh, has 'allegedly' harassed women in anime cosplay, it would be interesting if they banned Vic for doing something similar.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, folks, let's cool it with the insults. Some of you are getting too riled up and rude to each other. Calling people stupid or other insults is not going to be tolerated. We've asked everyone to be civil and respectful and to watch it. Some of you continue to ignore that. The next person who insults another is having their post removed and could wind up on moderation. If you can't make your point without insutling people then just save your breath at this point.

Let's also cool it with the soapboxing. A few of you are being rather aggressive and rude towards other posters as you say the same things over and over and over again. There is no need for that at all. Especially when some of you are just arguing the same things you've said many times in the other discussion as well.

SO how about everyone tone it down some, and let's keep the discussion on topic please.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
While I'm glad Vic is finally getting some of his just desserts, the cynical side of me is sure that this won't last. I remember when the first allegations came out almost a decade ago and how quickly Vic went back to working normally after the initial hubbub died down. I mean, even in the current #MeToo era, a whole hell of a lot of terrible people have given a half-assed apology and just gone straight back to work. It sounds horrible to say, but I'm sure in a few months (if even that long, seeing how many people in this thread are still defending him, despite all evidence), Vic will be back to his regularly scheduled routine with nary a blip. All I can hope for is that he'll become so well known that folks will know not to interact with him now.
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
While I'm glad Vic is finally getting some of his just desserts, the cynical side of me is sure that this won't last. I remember when the first allegations came out almost a decade ago and how quickly Vic went back to working normally after the initial hubbub died down. I mean, even in the current #MeToo era, a whole hell of a lot of terrible people have given a half-assed apology and just gone straight back to work. It sounds horrible to say, but I'm sure in a few months (if even that long, seeing how many people in this thread are still defending him, despite all evidence), Vic will be back to his regularly scheduled routine with nary a blip. All I can hope for is that he'll become so well known that folks will know not to interact with him now.

I don't know. Considering how long people have talked about Vic, whispered about Vic, I don't think all this will be forgotten so quickly.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I don't know. Considering how long people have talked about Vic, whispered about Vic, I don't think all this will be forgotten so quickly.

Chris Brown and R Kelly are perfect examples of how quickly this will be forgotten.

If anything, the one episode of 'Boondocks' was very telling about R Kelly.
PatrickD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
And it was just announced that every con invite he had, except for the one to Anime Masturi has been canceled

As mentioned in ANN's article, there are still some small non-anime conventions that have him listed as a guest.
https://fancons.com/guests/bio/517/vic-mignogna
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Mignogna is someone who I've personally never taken note of. I've apparently heard him in a few things, but he never really stood out to me one way or the other. I've heard better dubbing VAs and much worse ones, so I have no per-existing bias for or against him.

That said, I find Monica Rial's comments telling, as it was something I was wondering about before. A lot of the defenses have boiled down to "he was joking around/being friendly/etc." When all of this has been talked about online for years, and others went to the staff about it, I find it hard to believe someone before now has hasn't tried to tell him to knock it off unless the attendees ask for kisses/hugs first. Then there's how you can see how stiff and uncomfortable some of the girls look in the photos, and if someone as socially inept as me can tell that, certainly he noticed. (Even if you're going with "cultural greeting," there were also mentions of him kissing necks, which is a much more intimate type of kiss. I've never heard of any cultural hello involving that.)

The biggest benefit of the doubt I can think of is he just doesn't listen to anyone else, which isn't impossible given reports of how he treats staff, but then he's being unprofessional anyway. Cancelling or firing someone known for being unprofessional and not listening to other employees at the con/dubbing agency/etc seems perfectly reasonable. You can get fired from almost any job for being too demanding or not listening to others. Presumably that wasn't what got him kicked off in this case, considering it only happened now, but it also seems like a lot of places didn't quite enjoy dealing with him to begin with.

Last edited by Terrible90sDub on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Chris Brown and R Kelly are perfect examples of how quickly this will be forgotten.

If anything, the one episode of 'Boondocks' was very telling about R Kelly.

I think the bill's finally come due for R. Kelly. And I think, given the nature of the business and the fandom, it's going to be hard for a company to justify casting him, or to justify to ownership why doing so is worth the blowback.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Just let y'all know his career isn't over. He might not be doing much this year except for sitting on his butt at his house. In time he will start getting roles again and be invited back to some conventions next year. If he makes apologies and amends he could be back even sooner. He might not be working with Rooster Teeth again, but honestly Funimation or the LA companies don't really need to make any announcements. Funimation is owned by Sony and Hollywood companies usually don't announce they aren't working with other actors or anything. They just don't hire them. Its not like actors don't get replaced all the time either. I mean Jason Biggs got replaced in TMNT by Seth Green after season 2. Vic might get replaced in a few roles and if Funimation does that will speak for itself. They most likely are not going to burn bridges because they will may will hire him in the future at some point. The same thing applies to the LA Studios. Rooster Teeth is kind of in a different situation.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Just let y'all know his career isn't over.

Exactly. Vic generates too much money both for conventions and for dubbing companies. While sad, the stories of those who have been victimized will be swept under the rug, and business will continue on as usual within the next year, if that.

And as for R Kelly, he's no longer useful to the music industry because he's not generating the money that he once did. His last album was 2015. If a recording label needed a reason to drop him, the current Lifetime documentary gave them the means.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 13