• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure he's got the wrong guy. I know of a famous singer who opened a restaurant and set up a hidden camera in the women's room, but his name escapes me.

I could be wrong but I believe you are referring to Chuck Berry. Not only did Berry face trouble with videotaping in the bathrooms but he also was once popped on the Mann Act as well. Like many however, he was able to avoid his legacy being stained and still consider an important figure to rock ‘n roll. Hell, Gibson just unveiled a upcoming signature guitar to be sold later this year.

Last edited by DirtyCircle on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

If you see something wrong, stand up and say something! You never know, if someone didn't realize they were doing a wrong, very well might never do it again!

And Kaplan, you should've said something backstage! I'm sure you would've gotten an apology.

I think you’re woefully ignorant that it’s that simple. I speak from experience, it really isn’t.
PMDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This has been waiting to break into public knowledge for years. And it's overdue.

As a high level convention "insider" I can say we at the top level who were involved in booking various talent were aware of allegations regarding several of the popular con guests.

It's a lot of heresay. Rumors. One con head quietly passing cautions to another con head. But also police reports. Reports from venue security. And people we knew who chose to keep quiet because the con was important to them.

Allegations like this go back years and years, not just limited to anime con guests but also scifi, comic, fantasy cons into the 70s. The story was always the same: some name talent popular with fans was caught doing untoward things and it was either hushed up, or ignored, or just buried. It's not that a lot of work was spent hiding it but somehow nobody talked and word didn't get around and the secrets were kept.

Why? Because cons lived and died by the guests they could book. You throngs out there demanded we book people we KNEW were dangerous or risky. None of you knew what we knew. None of you knew WE didn't want to be alone in elevators or anywhere else with certain guests and we sure didn't want them at the damn con, but we had to sell tickets to pay for the show, and name guests sold tickets.

What what the hell are we supposed to do when we have hundreds of fans demanding we book some guest? You won't accept no. You can't possibly imagine the indigestion in our stomachs knowing what we knew and having to book these pigs anyway, while everybody acted like they were superhero guests and we were the villains!

So we signed the contracts and enabled these predators to prey on fresh blood over and over again. Hell, they didn't even have to hide it once they became so insanely popular as guests. No con would risk NOT booking them. I know of several such guests who contacted the con I worked for and basically had a list of demands to appear. A rider. Flight, hotel, per diem, etc. All paid by the con. Or the guest would not show. That's right. These folks did their dirty work and got paid by the con to do it!

Ticket sales were always more important.

Vic's not the only one. There are others. Some are name guests and others are more like perennial superfans who show up and con after con. Some have active restraining orders keeping them from some cons but not others. EVERY con knows who they are. They have discussed it at the top of their directorial structure. Their head of security knows and probably has a plan to try (TRY) to keep things under control or at least wraps.

It's long past time for this silence to end and the dirty horrible truth to come out.
lycopene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
He seems to have been replaced in a funi show. He appeared as the Executive in ep 2 of the morose mononokean. The character returned over the weekend and is now played by Ian Sinclair
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
He seems to have been replaced in a funi show. He appeared as the Executive in ep 2 of the morose mononokean. The character returned over the weekend and is now played by Ian Sinclair

They are just going to quietly remove him from those roles. Broly won't come back around for awhile. Neither will Free from my understanding. I don't know when Sabo comes back around. They don't really have make any statements about those bigger roles yet. If they ever do.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This is the first I'd heard of this. While it shocking at first and the reality of characters I love being changed (either recast or metaphorically) saddens me, anyone who's been the victim of sexual harassment or assault needs to be heard and helped.

As a BL fan, I was fine with Vic not wanting to sign memorabilia of that nature. If it made someone uncomfortable or went against their personal beliefs, I want to respect that. But anyone who uses their celebrity status or clout in an industry to prey on fans or colleagues needs to answer for that. It's a betrayal of trust one should be able to have.

I'll always love the characters--Edward Elric, Qrow Bronwen--but I know now there will exist a lingering discomfort whenever my mind dredges up the real-world connection.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
You reap what you sow. Maybe this'll land him in jail.

In jail for what? Being an inconsiderate a-hole isn't a crime.

It's not cool, but him losing his jobs for it is kinda extreme. People are just too sensitive these days.

Glad to know I'm not the only to find this whole situation overblown. This era...I take issue with it but can't get into it without looking like the bad guy so best to keep silent I guess.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
lycopene wrote:

They are just going to quietly remove him from those roles. Broly won't come back around for awhile. Neither will Free from my understanding. I don't know when Sabo comes back around. They don't really have make any statements about those bigger roles yet. If they ever do.

True. I was keeping an eye out for Morose since that is a simuldub, so they had to make a decision one way or the other on that one, but an official announcement seems unnecessary when a quiet recasting gets the job done. They've done mid-simuldub replacements for different reasons before and then re-recorded for home video later, so I could see them redoing it with Ian for consistency.

Like you said, they don't have to make a decision right now for other roles. I'm sure Broly will be back, but Toei hasn't even made any announcement on the return of Super, so it'll be a while. (Heck, Toei went out of its way to officially state that they haven't announced anything yet). They could re-record Broly for the home video release of the movie to avoid giving people a reason not to buy it, but again, we're far enough away from that time that they don't have to make that call right away.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
lycopene wrote:

I find myself now wondering if he'll be replaced in JoJo suddenly. Considering the show's still running on Toonami, I can't be sure if they're finished dubbing the lines or not. I could be wrong, of course. But Viz could've picked a better Rohan in my personal opinion.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
You reap what you sow. Maybe this'll land him in jail.

In jail for what? Being an inconsiderate a-hole isn't a crime.

It's not cool, but him losing his jobs for it is kinda extreme. People are just too sensitive these days.

Glad to know I'm not the only to find this whole situation overblown. This era...I take issue with it but can't get into it without looking like the bad guy so best to keep silent I guess.

Well, as usual, people didn't really do anything much about it until people started pitching a big fit. It wouldn't have gotten to this level if sometime early on, people had done things to prevent Vic from behaving the way he has, but for some reason or another, it was clearly ignored. This era is a natural outcome from too many people's apathy. If you dismiss it all as "people are just too oversensitive these days," you're feeding into the cycle. But sure, I think asking for jail time is not an appropriate response.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
lycopene wrote:

I find myself now wondering if he'll be replaced in JoJo suddenly. Considering the show's still running on Toonami, I can't be sure if they're finished dubbing the lines or not. I could be wrong, of course. But Viz could've picked a better Rohan in my personal opinion.

I highly doubt they will recast his role as Rohan in JoJo. Even if they aren't completely done with recording they are so far along that it wouldn't be financially viable for them to do so. Its only 39 episodes and 21 episodes have already aired on Toonami. He posted on January 2nd, 2019 on twitter that he was going to record more lines for Rohan. Other than Neil Kaplan and DC Douglas It seems most of the VAs talking bad about Vic are based In Dallas and not LA. I could be wrong tho.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
lycopene wrote:

I doubt if that will happen. JoJo is recorded using the traditional method of recording as much of a character's lines as possible during a session, and Diamond is Unbreakable has been done in Japan for a while, so it is more likely that Rohan is done or very close to it, and Viz probably doesn't want to plunk down more money to record a fairly minor character. Plus, Toonami has its own schedule to keep, so they would have to also decide that it was acceptable to delay their own broadcast for however long it might take to do a new recording. From what I've been able to gather from listening to commentaries, it sounds like VAs typically sign contracts after being cast that say what they will be paid for a certain number of hours. If there is more recording to be done, then they'd probably have to pay him for the rest of the contract anyway. Anime companies run on thin budgets, so I can't see where it makes financial sense to make a very last minute change.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Advent_Nebula wrote:
[url]Check out @VoiceOfVegeta’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/VoiceOfVegeta/status/1092814170096103426?s=09[/url]

Chris Sabat's recent tweet is telling on this situation.

What's telling about it?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

Someone should've got on his case, rather than everyone letting him be a prick. Stop it early, and you don't have to demonize later.

By all accounts, Monica Rial attempted that and got nowhere. And as we've seen by responses to the actual victims, people turn the "internet mob" everyone is decrying against those girls and women as well just as easily. I don't know if you're really understanding how much work and noise it takes to bring these kinds of issues to light; it's not as simple as just putting a stop to it when you see it and expecting it to just magically go away.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
GMArcturus wrote:
I didn't expect that level of stupidity from people on this site.

I mean, you're clearly going out of your way to act daft, so I'm not sure you get to call anyone else stupid. Let me try to make this easy for you to understand. There's a random stranger (remember, this is what Vic was to this person before the "crotch-gate" happened) who approaches you, climbs on your shoulders and starts rubbing his crotch against your neck in front of an audience. Would you be okay with it? Maybe. This person clearly wasn't, though, and that's all that matters here.
Personally, I find it humiliating. Vic, in his eagerness to show how much of a cool bro he is, just got into this dude's personal space without even bothering to check if he consented to it. Seems to be a recurring thing with him. Boundaries are something that should be respected. I think that's what Vic and the people who are still defending his actions fail to understand.

And response to this action should be no career? Really?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13