Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Vic Mignogna No Longer a Member of RWBY Cast


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ashabel



Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 278
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

And response to this action should be no career? Really?


If he exploits his career so it serves as a shield for insensitive, vile and sometimes outright dangerous behaviour, then yes. If he's known to exploit his career in order to hush industry insiders from acting against him or risk damage to their own careers, then double yes.

Seriously, it's like the Harvey Weinstein case hasn't taught you anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meruru



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 363
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed some over quoting

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
So the appropriate response is to internet mob him, and ruin his life?

No, what you do is tell him to stop being a prick. He's apologized, and can now act better. There, done.

So yes, people are sensitive. Those tweets talk about him as if he's some kinda monster in sheep's clothing. If he is this monster, then these people are just as bad for shrugging for 10+ years. They're all virtue signaling. Especially RT.


Why would you assume this is my stance in any way? I've never argued that Vic should be jailed or even be fired from his voice acting jobs. But I do think the argument "people are too sensitive" is only helping perpetuate the negative discourse. If you want to talk about "mob justice is bad," or "I think getting him fired from voice acting jobs is too far" then do that, and leave out your thoughts about how you think people should feel about it. That was pretty much the entirety of my point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HeWhoSlapsAll



Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed over quoting

meruru wrote:


Why would you assume this is my stance in any way? I've never argued that Vic should be jailed or even be fired from his voice acting jobs. But I do think the argument "people are too sensitive" is only helping perpetuate the negative discourse. If you want to talk about "mob justice is bad," or "I think getting him fired from voice acting jobs is too far" then do that, and leave out your thoughts about how you think people should feel about it. That was pretty much the entirety of my point.


But me talking about those two things is technically me talking about how they feel. Or is it me talking about how they act in response of how they feel?

Regardless, it's connected. Still, talking about how people feel is valid because people have a tendency to overreact and/or react too quickly. Hell, some people don't react at all, and years later you realize you let a dude's ego grow too big. Hey, that sounds familiar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aresef



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 446
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed quoted post that veered into victim blaming, but left this post intact since the point was still relevant standing alone

False reports are like incidents of voter fraud. They just barely happen. But that doesn't mean we should discourage people like those accusing Vic of overstepping boundaries. Many incidents go unreported, even when the alleged perpetrator is just some schmo. People fear retaliation, they believe the police aren't going to do anything, they believed it wasn't important enough or they believed it was a personal matter. (RAINN, citing DOJ statistics from 2005 to 2010)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
HeWhoSlapsAll



Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed quote of a deleted post

Aresef wrote:
False reports are like incidents of voter fraud. They just barely happen. But that doesn't mean we should discourage people like those accusing Vic of overstepping boundaries. Many incidents go unreported, even when the alleged perpetrator is just some schmo. People fear retaliation, they believe the police aren't going to do anything, they believed it wasn't important enough or they believed it was a personal matter. (RAINN, citing DOJ statistics from 2005 to 2010)


I never said to not accuse or report accusations.

Just don't act like accusations on their own are fact, without actual evidence. Find out everything possible, then judge. Most victims don't lie, but there are those that do, and thus, due to the potential repercussions, believe nothing completely unless there's hard evidence. Regardless of how one feels.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2533
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
After watching the video Vic made in response to these allegations, I find I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, my heart breaks for the rare few whose lives or careers are upended by a false accusation. HOWEVER, I've also personally been on the other side of that; seeing someone cry crocodile tears (even if s/he genuinely sees themself as the victim when they are in fact victimizing others), only for their behavior to stay the same.

As much as I want to acknowledge that yes, false accusations do exist, the number of them is so infinitesimal compared to those who have suffered real abuse and are petrified to step forward. Victims' lives are forever tied to this and everything about them is raked over the coals of public opinion, marring everything about them in the name of "finding the truth."

TL/DR: An explanation video is discussion-worthy, but I have to stand with those brave enough to risk public shaming and verbal attacks in order to speak out against abuse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
MF65



Joined: 14 Dec 2017
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
MF65 wrote:
GMArcturus wrote:
I didn't expect that level of stupidity from people on this site.

I mean, you're clearly going out of your way to act daft, so I'm not sure you get to call anyone else stupid. Let me try to make this easy for you to understand. There's a random stranger (remember, this is what Vic was to this person before the "crotch-gate" happened) who approaches you, climbs on your shoulders and starts rubbing his crotch against your neck in front of an audience. Would you be okay with it? Maybe. This person clearly wasn't, though, and that's all that matters here.
Personally, I find it humiliating. Vic, in his eagerness to show how much of a cool bro he is, just got into this dude's personal space without even bothering to check if he consented to it. Seems to be a recurring thing with him. Boundaries are something that should be respected. I think that's what Vic and the people who are still defending his actions fail to understand.


And response to this action should be no career? Really?

Huh... Yes? Is this supposed to be a difficult question? You act like an arse in your job, you get fired. You harass someone in your job, you get fired. It happens every day in real life. I mean, I'm not from the US of A, so maybe things work differently around here, but do try to do some of the stuff people claim he did on your own job and then let me know how it goes...
Why should he get a pass? Because he voices your favourite character or something? Because he's a bro? Oh, wait. Let me help you with that strawman. Because he's the tragic, innocent victim in all of this and the dozens of people who've come forward with accusations against him are all just jealous/out to get him/upset because of "the yaois"/anti-white males/against his religion Laughing


Last edited by MF65 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zimmer



Joined: 08 Jul 2015
Posts: 52
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To all of my POC and LGBTQ fans and friends: You are loved. You matter.
And how does this have anything to do with this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZeArNkN



Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Posts: 80
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm half-expecting Vic to be the dub voice of Pariston Hill in the final arc of Hunter x Hunter. That'll be awkward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aresef



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 446
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty. The accused have rights too.


This is not a court of law.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aresef



Joined: 22 Jun 2005
Posts: 446
Location: MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
After watching the video Vic made in response to these allegations, I find I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, my heart breaks for the rare few whose lives or careers are upended by a false accusation. HOWEVER, I've also personally been on the other side of that; seeing someone cry crocodile tears (even if s/he genuinely sees themself as the victim when they are in fact victimizing others), only for their behavior to stay the same.

As much as I want to acknowledge that yes, false accusations do exist, the number of them is so infinitesimal compared to those who have suffered real abuse and are petrified to step forward. Victims' lives are forever tied to this and everything about them is raked over the coals of public opinion, marring everything about them in the name of "finding the truth."

TL/DR: An explanation video is discussion-worthy, but I have to stand with those brave enough to risk public shaming and verbal attacks in order to speak out against abuse.


I think it's important to remember that he is an actor, and his behavior in that video tracks with the "crocodile tears" cited by Monica Rial. Never has he demonstrated an understanding of what he did and how he made people feel over the course of years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
MF65



Joined: 14 Dec 2017
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty. The accused have rights too.

The claims are true until proven false. The accusers have rights too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terrible90sDub
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!


Joined: 14 Jul 2017
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:

Huh... Yes? Is this supposed to be a difficult question? You act like an arse in your job, you get fired. You harass someone in your job, you get fired. It happens every day in real life. I mean, I'm not from the US of A, so maybe things work differently around here, but do try to do some of the stuff people claim he did on your own job and then let me know how it goes...


Yeah, it's definitely the same in the U.S. Making other employees or customers (which is roughly what con attendees would be) uncomfortable will get you fired if it happens repeatedly. It doesn't even have to be judged as "harassment," most people just want a workplace that can function as a competent group and to not lose business due to someone being a jerk and turning people away.

What happened here is it seems to have flipped from "he'll bring in more people than he'll turn off despite his behavior" to the opposite. Given how far back this goes and the variety of complaints, it's also unlikely about a single action so much as... everything in full.

That aside, losing current jobs thanks to all of this =/= ruining a career like they were implying. In a cynical future, it's possible people will forget all about this soon and all of this will continue. In a more optimistic one, he takes this time to do some soul searching, ends up sincerely regretting his past actions, and starts to get more work as a changed man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ashabel



Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 278
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Now we're comparing him to Weinstein? Way to make a leap. Until evidence surfaces, there's comparison when it comes to their actions.

He's insensitive and that piggyback ride was dangerous, but vile? We've no evidence of vile behavior.

So far, he comes of as an entitled prick of a narcissist. Not evil, or conniving. Not yet, anyway.


I'm going to go ahead and call bollocks on this. Vic Mignogna has a very long history of abusing peer pressure and fame to get away with increasingly terrible behavior. It has reached the point where he's openly running a "fan club" that consists mostly of impressionable middle-school girls and is managed by his mother, who shamelessly calls herself the Matriarch and grooms those girls into harassing people who speak up against her son online, and somehow that is considered "okay". Every other year he gets called out on his behavior, and every time his fanboy brigade pretend to be concerned citizens in an effort to paint him as an innocent and perfectly harmless soul who doesn't realize what he's doing, while everyone else is oh so mean and terrible and paranoid and reading far too much into it.

I'd understand if this happened once or twice, but this has reached the scale of a mythical cycle at this point. It happened back when he was cast as Viral in Gurren Lagann, it happened again when he was cast as Folken in Escaflowne, then again when he was cast as Rohan Kishibe, and now it's happening again. At this point he has played enough free get out of jail tickets to compile a bloody poker deck.

At this point I'm just interested what he needs to do to finally be held responsible for his nonsense, because to his fans fifteen years of sexual harassment and power abuse is apparently just not enough.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
H. Guderian



Joined: 29 Jan 2014
Posts: 1138
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
NervClaX wrote:
Innocent until proven guilty. The accused have rights too.

The claims are true until proven false. The accusers have rights too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


If the French Revolution was recruiting, we could get a new Reign of Terror going in no time.

In this case I think there's fairly adequate evidence and he apologized, which I think lends something to this.

The biggest problem is cases like these is everyone has different thresholds for evidence. And recently science and evidence are in doubt by many.

Anyways, if he harassed someone randomly on the street, keep the job. But I think at a con you're there on a Working capacity, so if there's sufficient evidence I think it would make sense to drop him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group