• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Senran Kagura 7even Game Developer 'Reconsidering' Content Due to Platform Regulations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:
Nyren wrote:
> Can't show breast bouncing

RIP Dead or Alive

iirc didn't they say they were done with that in the latest one?
They stated last month that it's not actually gone. The breast bouncing is determined by the clothing. The clothes that all the characters wear as their default either have no bounce or some bounce, but not alot, and are more conservative. However, you can unlock alternate costumes and those have the ridiculous breat physics that people are used to from Dead or Alive as well as being skimpy. They essentially put up a front for anyone casually playing the game, and tucked away the stuff for the hardcore DoA fans.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
They stated last month that it's not actually gone. The breast bouncing is determined by the clothing. The clothes that all the characters wear as their default either have no bounce or some bounce, but not alot, and are more conservative. However, you can unlock alternate costumes and those have the ridiculous breat physics that people are used to from Dead or Alive as well as being skimpy. They essentially put up a front for anyone casually playing the game, and tucked away the stuff for the hardcore DoA fans.

True. It still ended up with an M rating with reasons involving the clothing and jiggle. As I understand it, when a game is submitted to the ESRB for rating, it is supposed to be up front about the "worst" things it might have so the ESRB doesn't have to scour it just to catch something. So yeah, it's there, but not necessarily as out front as it used to be.

I really can't stand the thought that we're headed the way of not allowing developers to make what they want for customers who want to buy it because others, who probably weren't going to buy the game anyway, have issues with it. If you ask me, being inclusive means don't like it, then don't buy it. Let the market decide if there is any interest.

I also can't help but be reminded of how news of Sony censoring reached me right around the same time that I played a mission on Red Dead 2 that briefly involved a topless prostitute on top of a customer. The selection of only certain types of games for this treatment is telling.
S0crates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The good'ol "don't like it, don't buy it" still works. Playstation will probably soon be gone anyways, Steam allows 18+ games on their console now, so they'll take an even greater part of the market. Nobody leaves a "console" over "too much diversity of products". If anything this might create a retro market as the newer games on console can't compete with the old ones.

But ye, all those worried about this just have to move over to PC. Steam isn't the only store, so if they go corrupt and start censoring, then all you got to do is change store. In a way I'm wondering why consoles have survived this long, I should have made this swap ages ago.
VImistXI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't they just put it on the switch and say fudge sony? Think they're starting to get a little cocky here.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
VImistXI wrote:
Couldn't they just put it on the switch and say fudge sony? Think they're starting to get a little cocky here.

They probably could do that going forward. Unfortunately, Sony started putting these restrictions on games that were well on their way towards completed localization, so changing systems wasn't in the plans and would add a lot of cost. The thing I find a bit ironic is it wasn't even that long ago that various games were seeing censored versions on Nintendo because of its family friendly image, and Sony looked like the better option in that regard. It's a bit baffling to me that Sony seems to have forgotten that being largely hands-off in terms of content worked for them.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
VImistXI wrote:

They probably could do that going forward. Unfortunately, Sony started putting these restrictions on games that were well on their way towards completed localization, so changing systems wasn't in the plans and would add a lot of cost. The thing I find a bit ironic is it wasn't even that long ago that various games were seeing censored versions on Nintendo because of its family friendly image, and Sony looked like the better option in that regard. It's a bit baffling to me that Sony seems to have forgotten that being largely hands-off in terms of content worked for them.
Sony of Japan was in charge back then. Now Sony of America is in charge to my understanding. As a result, it does kind of make sense with all the changes happening. SOA is likely more prude and puritanical.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
hmm, this just bothers me so much because once you give people an inch they will take a mile. I don't want to hear the excuse "well they're niche games who cares, or it's for the best" Stop it sooner or later these practices will come after games YOU do like & what will you do then?

Correct me if I'm wrong as well but is marvelous under/have a contract with Sony to release games on their platforms first? I know alot of people want them to move to the switch or even the xbox-one at this point, "PC as well but that has never been viable platform in japan." However if they are contractually obliged to give Sony first dibs that means, their games will have to be curated for to fit their new polices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
Its really freaking depressing. The over the top sexiness was half of why I loved Senran Kagura. It would not be the same game without it.

There's no indication that they're removing the "over the top sexiness" though and really if you've ever played the 3DS games you should be used to stuff being toned down.

Chaos Wings wrote:

Anyone else checked out the new MK trailers showcasing it's Extreme Ultra Violence. That's totally acceptable but some bouncing oppai and "undressing" aren't, FML.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

Basically Sony has always been strict, but now all of a sudden they started really cracking down to pretty much say Anime-style + Boobs = Not happening. Though Western games will probably not be effected by it which is ironic since those show full nudity rather than just bikinis, bras, panties or even covered up by steam or light beams.

I do wish the people who offer up this narrative would see the difference in watching someone be decapitated and things like groping characters and then kissing some them (most few of whom are minors) without consent even as they protest it.

Chaos Wings wrote:

The onus really is on the big developers and publisher to protect the gamers they apparently cater to here. If they came out in defence of creative freedoms and explicitly stated they would move to or only release their games on platforms that don't enforce unnecessary censorship. Sony would soon change their tune because they couldn't afford to lose their AAA titles.

But given the content that's being scrutinized that's not a hill no one would realistically want to die on.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

Plus if this spreads to other systems too, it’s pretty much say goodbye Senran Kagura, DOA will just be another fighting game with nothing to draw people in that will try to be more male fighters with a few girls with awful outfits which sounds really boring,

DOA6 is still coming out and despite the caterwauling over the pre release developments won't be any less fanservice dependent than it's predecessors.....which people tend to forget were significantly less fanservice dependent than the modern games.

But once you expose someone to something cutting them off can be difficult.

Narutofreak1412 wrote:
They should definitely not support Sony's regulations.

Instead release it for Switch and PC, make a "europe version", which contains all european languages and include english text on the asian release, so that people in countries, where the rating fails, can import it.
Also announce on twitter that the game can't be released on PS4 like originally announced due to Sony declining it because of their new policies.

Why would they do that if Sony weren't actually stopping them from releasing the game on their platform like with Omega Labyrinth Z?

They'd essentially be lying with little in the way of benefit.

Greed1914 wrote:

I really can't stand the thought that we're headed the way of not allowing developers to make what they want for customers who want to buy it because others, who probably weren't going to buy the game anyway, have issues with it.

Here's the the thing though that's been a thing with pretty much every medium for good or ill and has been for years. Not every vision or idea is a good let alone a practical one. And not all of them will be fully realized due to various factors.

S0crates wrote:

If anything this might create a retro market as the newer games on console can't compete with the old ones.

Which I find interesting being that the industry is making far more money now than it ever was in the 80's and 90's. The only people who think newer games can't compete with older games are people who prefer the design aesthetics of older games regardless of things such as limited graphics, dodgy controls, sameness (depending on the genre) & absurd difficulty.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The thing I find a bit ironic is it wasn't even that long ago that various games were seeing censored versions on Nintendo because of its family friendly image, and Sony looked like the better option in that regard. It's a bit baffling to me that Sony seems to have forgotten that being largely hands-off in terms of content worked for them.

Because the success of Playstation 1 and 2 wasn't owed to Sony not leaning on other companies to edit their games. So they don't have to take anything from that.

All they got to do is not sell another console at a absurdly high price point, float the idea of not letting gamers played used games, making a system that practically requires you to sel half you soul to successfully develop a game for, or forcing in a non essential element that drives up the price of the console, and they're golden.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Why would they do that if Sony weren't actually stopping them from releasing the game on their platform like with Omega Labyrinth Z?

They'd essentially be lying with little in the way of benefit.

Oh, I interepreted this as that they were actually working on the game with the release date set and everything, but Sony was like "you can't release it on our console with content like this and that", so they were thrown over and had to redo the majority of the project.

Quote:
In an interview with Inside Games published last Friday, Senran Kagura series producer Kenichirō Takaki said that the original concept for the upcoming Senran Kagura 7even -Shōjo-tachi no Kōfuku- (Senran Kagura 7even: Girls' Happiness) game was changed, as the original concept cannot currently be released.
Senran Kagura 7even -Shōjo-tachi no Kōfuku- was originally slated for release on the PlayStation 4 in fall 2018, but it did not make the release date.
He also added that the regulations did not allow them to portray the characters undressing, or with their clothes being torn off, or with their breasts bouncing.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I won't buy another Sony console, I originally bought one so I can play Neptunia and Senran Games both franchises end up going to Stream anyway. I am just waiting to buy the right gaming computer.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I do wish the people who offer up this narrative would see the difference in watching someone be decapitated and things like groping characters and then kissing some them (most few of whom are minors) without consent even as they protest it.
The touching feature is not allowed for any game on the PS4 which includes games where it was consensual. Sony employees in California simply decided that touching features, sexy drawings, and boob jiggle shouldn't be allowed on the PS4. XSEED is making a huge gamble by continuing to develop Senran Kagura games exclusively for the PS4.

Kenichirō Takaki is operating under the optimistic assumption that compromise is possible and that there can be some middle ground for ecchi games on the PS4. I think is far more likely that we will see the Playstation regulations continue to expand and that they will be announced suddenly with the intent to cause maximum financial harm to ecchi game developers. The smarter ecchi game developers are already shifting over to the PC and Switch while others won't realize until this happens again.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
I wonder if it just because the characters are underage since I haven't heard any word on Catherine Fullbody being censored.
Sony shouldn't be this tough on the regulations, they just alienate their customers and game developers. I feel like fans of these game should make petitions to sony

from the very first game,they worked around that by never stating their ages in the localization,which never stops one to google what their ages are(and being shocked that Shiki is just 15,making her one of the youngest characters in the franchise,even younger than Mirai,who is 16!)
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Right now, I could see Senran and other comparable games offer a clean version for consoles and have more adult version for the PC market. Eventually these games will migrate fully onto PC as popularity over consoles diminish.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Right now, I could see Senran and other comparable games offer a clean version for consoles and have more adult version for the PC market. Eventually these games will migrate fully onto PC as popularity over consoles diminish.

Unless PC's become more accessible when it comes to playing games on them while also becoming more affordable in the immediate and long term I don't see the latter happening.

Chrono1000 wrote:
The touching feature is not allowed for any game on the PS4 which includes games where it was consensual.

Just because it might be consensual in context doesn't mean it might not still cross a line with some people.

Chrono1000 wrote:

Sony employees in California simply decided that touching features, sexy drawings, and boob jiggle

Pretty sure the PS4 version of DOA 6 has boob jiggle and don't recall anyone mentioning the remake of Skirting Shadows/ Burst having it's jiggle physics removed so......

Chrono1000 wrote:

shouldn't be allowed on the PS4. XSEED is making a huge gamble by continuing to develop Senran Kagura games exclusively for the PS4.

You do know that Shinovi Versus, Bon Appetit, Estival Versus, & PBS were also on the PC right?

The only Senran Kagura games that are exclusive to any platform is The Original 3DS game, Deep Crimson, Reflexions, New Wave, & the upcoming pinball game. Secondly Marvelous (not XSeed who localizes the games) would take a far bigger gamble by moving the series exclusively to the PC as some people are suggesting.

Chrono1000 wrote:

Kenichirō Takaki is operating under the optimistic assumption that compromise is possible

If compromise weren't possible then why is Burst Renewal on the PS4 in spite it's intimacy mode being removed?

Chrono1000 wrote:

and that there can be some middle ground for ecchi games on the PS4. I think is far more likely that we will see the Playstation regulations continue to expand and that they will be announced suddenly with the intent to cause maximum financial harm to ecchi game developers.

That's not the intent of this policy though in spite of some people repeatedly insisting that Sony is unfairly picking on the small well meaning japanese game publishers/developers.

Chrono1000 wrote:

The smarter ecchi game developers are already shifting over to the PC

You mean back to the platform that was originally pretty much the go to for ecchi games?

Narutofreak1412 wrote:

Oh, I interepreted this as that they were actually working on the game with the release date set and everything, but Sony was like "you can't release it on our console with content like this and that", so they were thrown over and had to redo the majority of the project.

Okay but nothing in that except explicitly states that they can't and won't be releasing the game because of Sony just that they have to tweak the game to accommodate the policy and likely because of some other reasons not tied to the policy itself. Also release dates aren't always set in stone.

I mean to use a relevant example Takaki's Uppers game (which was initially delayed in japan because of low pre-orders) was supposed to be localized towards the end of last year and yet for whatever reason we haven't gotten it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3