• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Alita: Battle Angel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Some thoughts (spoilers):
spoiler[I noticed there were a couple of scenes where Hugo addressed Alita as "Alley", as if the production was somehow making a pun on her Japanese name. Teehee.

The violence in the movie seemed a bit extreme for a PG-13. It's like Rodriguez shot it as an R-rated movie and the gorier scenes from the manga were edited out to lower the rating. Also, Alita's line to Grewishka when they're underground.

Alita's romance to Hugo was bizarre. It was like watching a cartoon character making out with a live actor. If Cameron had left in Hugo's comment from the anime OAV about "kissing a battery", it would've have been appropriate.

Vector channelling Nova through his blue eyes would have been more convincing if Nova's voice had been heard as well.

It was dumb that Cameron left it on a cliff-hanger ending. The one in the anime OAV where Ido and Alita/Gally send up Hugo's remains in a balloon to Zalem would've worked better. This film is probably never going to get a continuation.

It's still impressive what it tried to accomplish in terms of visual aesthetic, such as the fight scenes and Alita herself. Her oversized eyes do match the uncanny doll-like look found in some of Kishiro's artwork. I'd still buy it on DVD/Bluray as an accompaniment to the manga.]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
What makes this movie feel genuine the most to me is that Cameron bought the rights some 16 years ago, and likely became entangled with the source material far earlier than that. This was a labor of love and dedication, and not a cheap cash to get those anime fanbucks like Death Note, or because it was popular back in the day like Ghost in the Shell. No one knows Alita really than fans of Alita or those who happened across the unfinished OVA over the years, not a gigantic audience. There's no name recognition or inbuilt fanbase it's trying to cash in on. It's a weird wild ride, but it's earnest and believes in its characters and world. Like when Ido says "Panzer Kunst", he means it. It sounds ridiculous, perfect.

Jimbo and Robby basically spared no expense in bringing the story's world to the screen, and visually expanding it, I just rewatched the OVA and realize how the movie handled basically everything better. Guess it's time to settle into the manga. I hope the BluRay release has an extended runtime and ups the rating to a Hard R.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The first Hollywood adaption of an anime and manga that is good. Edge of Tomorrow is based on a light novel first, so it does not count.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The film is alright, about a strong a 6/10. Almost the best US life action adaptation of manga/anime to date but i was never bored with deliberately trashy Death Note, so it still somehow takes that "crown". Cameron ultimately sunk too much money into this project over 2 decades to do an actual adaption at this point. This film could first of all loose about 30 minutes and don´t get me started on the changes they made to Alita´s adoptive father Ido to make him more relatable. Basically everyone got reduced to a cliche. Gone is the R-rated content, the moral ambiguity, the slow roll out of the lore and so on. Everything is spoon fed and over explained to guarantee that every single market and demographic imaginable can follow along. The endless expositions is rather clunk too. The same goes to the occasionally bewildering sequel/prequel hooks. The strong visuals and some of the performances ultimately save the film, as a lot of passion went into this production. The often complex choreography and the mo-capped facial expression stand out too. The films further managed to nail the manga´s ultra detailed and out there look. Alita: Battle Angel is obviously twice the film Ghost in the Shell 2017 (the horror) or Fist of the North Star 1995 (shudder) are, so the standards for US adaptation are clearly moving forward but don´t expect anything more than a sub-PG-13 B-movie with a 200 mil budget.
The classic manga frankly deserves better and i say that as a fan of the adult targeted Rodriguez films. I will continue to wait for at least a 26 episode anime that adapts the original 9 volumes run. This film is a solid stop gat to that day but i don´t think that anyone will cry out for the full trilogy the producer keeps bringing up. I would watch a less cookie cutter and edgier sequel though. Especially if the bloated budget get´s slashed in half to reduce the bloated scope.
I agree with everything you said but I would add that I don’t understand why they couldn’t just use an actress in integrate CG for the arms or use use makeup/ practical effects. Did Alita(Gally) really need to be entirely motion capture CG?The movie really needed to be a hard R because I thought the fights really lacked the visceral nature of the anime/manga.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Had a chance to see the movie in theaters yesterday. Could certainly see that there was effort put into maintaining as much of the manga's story and atmospheric elements as possible compared to past Western adaptations of Japanese manga/ anime. Do have a few issues with it though...

spoiler[It felt like things in the scrapyards for the Alita movie were a bit more stable for the inhabitants compared to the manga. For instance in one scene, Alita and a number of the locals were happily playing a game of motorball in the streets. This is quite a contrast from the manga where things were more bleak and people are scraping by to live, while dealing with rampant crime.

Was not a fan of the movie creating a romance between Hugo and Alita. The chemistry buildup felt too much like a puppy-love teen romance played up in many Western films and deviates too greatly from the manga as Hugo was too glued on his goal to make it to Zalam and Alita was the only one with any inclinations of romance for him.

The tease at a possible sequel with the open-ended ending seems a bit too ambitious at this point. Granted, the film was a love project of James Cameron's that he wanted to get off the ground for years and it shows with the amount of effort he put into keeping the film as faithful to its source material as possible. But whether or not a sequel happens will come down to how much money the film makes in theaters and how willing 20th Century Fox would be to fund another Alita project.
]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I was blown away! When she put on the war paint I almost leaped out of my seat and shouted, "F*CK YEAH!", (which I did shout, minus the leaping). BTW, saw it in 3D and must say the battle and Motorball scenes looked great. Like you Zac, I will see it again and curious to see it non-3D.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
pretty good review for a film that seems to have a lukewarm reception at best. that being said, i made up my mind a long time ago - i am not supporting this film financially. hollywood is nothing but poison for anime. i'd rather they keep their hands off. not that that will ever happen, but i'm content enough knowing i didn't waste money encouraging it.

I agree fully I hate live action whether its from Hollywood or Japan if it was an animated movie then............it may seem a little overprotective but I agree that Hollywood is not good for anime.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Alita is the best blockbuster genre movie to come out of Hollywood since the Lord of the Rings: I cannot think of any popular blockbuster movie made in the past decade that compares favorably to it.

Standard blockbuster movies like Marvel's, Star Wars, DC comics and Disney-Pixar are just cash grabs and have no artistic value, in fact, a movie like Avatar (2009) is far superior to those movies, being the work of love from the makers. Alita is a movie like Avatar and I hope that it will replicate the latter's box office staying power and be successful enough to support sequels that adapt the whole original Gunnm manga. That would be so awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Had a chance to see the movie in theaters yesterday. Could certainly see that there was effort put into maintaining as much of the manga's story and atmospheric elements as possible compared to past Western adaptations of Japanese manga/ anime. Do have a few issues with it though...

spoiler[It felt like things in the scrapyards for the Alita movie were a bit more stable for the inhabitants compared to the manga. For instance in one scene, Alita and a number of the locals were happily playing a game of motorball in the streets. This is quite a contrast from the manga where things were more bleak and people are scraping by to live, while dealing with rampant crime.]

spoiler[That kind of bugged me and made Hugo's reasoning for wanting to escape to Zalem make less sense.]
Quote:
spoiler[
Was not a fan of the movie creating a romance between Hugo and Alita. The chemistry buildup felt too much like a puppy-love teen romance played up in many Western films and deviates too greatly from the manga as Hugo was too glued on his goal to make it to Zalam and Alita was the only one with any inclinations of romance for him.]

spoiler[There was something of a romance in the manga and anime (Alita does kiss Hugo at one point), but it didn't take away from Hugo's goal.]
Quote:
spoiler[
The tease at a possible sequel with the open-ended ending seems a bit too ambitious at this point. Granted, the film was a love project of James Cameron's that he wanted to get off the ground for years and it shows with the amount of effort he put into keeping the film as faithful to its source material as possible. But whether or not a sequel happens will come down to how much money the film makes in theaters and how willing 20th Century Fox would be to fund another Alita project.
]
spoiler[It would be up to their new overlords, The Walt Disney Company, which may not be so generous.]
Saito?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I watched the movie twice in 2 days and absolutely love it (ditto on the 3D recommendation)! I normally skip 3D (eye issues - vertigo), but I had no problems. I think the movie did a great job of hitting all the beats from the original manga and OVA. I adore both Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel, but while the GitS movie left me mostly bored, Alita kept me enthralled!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I heard that James Cameron wasn’t gonna direct I was worried about how the movie would turn out. I think he’s one of the few directors in Hollywood who could do it justice. And, unfortunately, I wasn’t impressed with it. It felt like there was to much material for a 2 hour movie and the acting felt really cheesy. Although, I thought Rosa Salazar did a decent job as Alita, and I enjoyed the fight scenes. They looked great in 3D. I guess I just had high expectations since Battle Angel is one of my favorite mangas.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually impressed that this film did well despite that Cameron didn't direct but supervised. But good to see. I do need to take a look at the OVA, manga and the movie. So people really need to go out and spend some money to make this film big so they can make the sequel.

But great job.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I just got back from seeing this today, and it was great. The action and special effects were phenomenal, and the motorball scenes were some of my favorite action sequences in film. The designs were excellent and the world felt authentic, and the shots and color design were great.

I'll actully have to disagree about the emotional coldness mentioned in the review. I found myself loving Alita's character very early on, and by about halfway through the movie I was wholly invested in the characters. It's a real shame we'll probably never get that sequel if box office numbers are anything to go by, because I'm totally interested to see where this all goes. If I wanted to pick up the manga, would I start from the beginning? Or is there a good jumping in point from or near the end of the movie?

As for negatives, there was some cheesy melodrama, the romance was underwhelming, and Hugo's actor could have been a lot better, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. The Western live-action anime film adaptation curse has been broken (at least as far as quality goes; profitability is another matter). Let's see if it stays that way.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm actually impressed that this film did well despite that Cameron didn't direct but supervised. But good to see. I do need to take a look at the OVA, manga and the movie. So people really need to go out and spend some money to make this film big so they can make the sequel.

But great job.
Good luck getting the OAV. It seems like ADV's old stock ran out at Amazon and Rightstuf, and is no longer available. Discotek needs to re-license this (with both dubs)!

As for the manga, it's only been put back in print as an expensive hardcover edition by Kodansha. The earlier cheaper Viz softcovers are becoming harder to find on the used market without paying scalper's prices.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Now that the movie's out, I suspect that we'll see the OVA pop back up again. There's bound to be renewed interest in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5