• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Acquires Australian Distributor Madman Media's Anime Division

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

It's becoming disheartening that more and more anime titles I want to own are now only available in the US and only available as Bluray. While I have region cracking software on my PC (where I watch anime), I'm finding that an annoying number can't be played. Digital streaming is changing anime beyond recognition.

Oh, the region protection on Blu ray is MUCH more robust than it ever was for DVD!

You can literally get discs from Japan that WON'T play in the US!
Those are GAME titles of course but my point is made.
Japan is SUPPOSED to be the same region as the US.

They've done this for games a few times where they programmed them to NOT play on American consoles. Nowadays, they don't bother with region protection on MOST titles but a few like the Persona series WILL get them.

You can't depend on region-free Blu ray players. I've heard stories of where they've redone the keys were these players just don't work on titles.
Heck, they STILL screw things up occasionally in the States and I have "Region A" titles for the US that don't play on an old Pansonic BD player I have and that's supposedly up to date!
And yes, those titles that give it fits are anime titles. I can tell you straight off the original MS Gundam, Vampire Hunter D, and at least one other title will NOT play on this machine. It's a good thing I have a Blu ray drive for my PC and a PlayStation 3!
As far as multi-region goes, the most credible thing is probably just getting a second Blu ray drive for your PC and setting it to another region. You'll only get 5-6 region changes but at least if you set it you theoretically shouldn't have to deal with decryption software and mess around with it as long as you have a registered copy of an official BD player like PowerDVD which is one of the very few authorized BD player software on PC (or Mac) that I'm aware of. BD was NEVER well supported on Mac or PC and they've dragged their feet on 4K BD which a bunch of us probably wouldn't get away for PC because the 4K monitors are more expensive and not a lot of PC's really do support 4K BD drives all that well.
alextenshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
macattack wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:
So what exactly does this mean?

Aniplex took all of Madman's anime. Madman no longer distributes anime at all.

Madman has control of 95% of the Australian anime market. Aniplex just purchased a monopoly on the entire Australian anime market including control over their competitors' products.

Considering what Aniplex has done to cause US customers' headaches I can only imagine what they're going to do to Australia...

Cheers. I was hoping I read it wrong but you've just confirmed my fears.

Sony has been releasing more and more anime over the past few years in Oz, but now they're properly serious, huh? Madman are still flogging upcoming events like their Anime Festival too; wonder if they'll change the name or maybe the switch doesn't officially start until later in the year?

Anyway, time will tell just how screwed we are.

That doesn't seem correct. Aniplex bought Madman's anime business Madman Anime Group (which includes AnimeLab), not their titles. It wouldn't make sense for Aniplex to buy just the titles since they don't operate here, so Madman will still distribute anime.
Parrad11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
Tungsten Steve wrote:
Made in Abyss only came out on blu-ray on Madman’s site today and it’s sold out

Didn't it come out in Jan?

Tungsten Steve wrote:
And some things just never get a release; Berserk 2016/2017 are on animelab but no physical release

Wikipedia says this is a "Universal/Sony" title in Australia, but then again "The Heroic Legend of Arslan" had season 1 released by Useiversal/Sony while season 2 was released by Madman (but Wikipedia also shows something similar happening in the UK)…

Errinundra wrote:
More concerning to me, is that, even while the number of anime titles being produced in Japan is growing, the amount being released in Australia has been declining

The decline of the Australian dollar probably isn't helping much here either. Back in 2012 the AUD was hovering around parity against the USD. Since then it's fallen down to around 70 cents.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:27 am Reply with quote
Parrad11 wrote:
Tungsten Steve wrote:
Made in Abyss only came out on blu-ray on Madman’s site today and it’s sold out

Didn't it come out in Jan?...

I ordered it the day it was released: 16 Jan.

Quote:
...The decline of the Australian dollar probably isn't helping much here either. Back in 2012 the AUD was hovering around parity against the USD. Since then it's fallen down to around 70 cents...

Good point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:31 am Reply with quote
I find this all rather disturbing.

How is this even going to work.

Is madman anime going to become a separate entity. Is aniplex going to take everything and make a aniplex Australia.

Madman has been getting an increasing number of the titles universal was putting out.

Will animelab expand.

Should have seen something like this coming with animelab regaining some titles that were lost when the funi crunchy deal happened.

I just hope they keep things running the way they were, because sub licensed anime from aniplex always had a different pricing and release structure.

This is all a big mess for the consumers.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Oh goody, now they can overcharge for foreign releases as well. So long as they don't get Europe we should be good.

Don’t Aniplex technically already have a hand in anime distribution in Europe via Wakanim? Granted I don’t believe they release physical media.
juusee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:03 am Reply with quote
Heard Aniplex is notorious for their ridiculous pricing of DVD/Blu-ray. I mainly stream my shows, so don't know if there's going to be an effect on my Animelab subscription.

Animelab used to simulcast a lot of seasonal shows back in its beta phase (2014-15ish), and it's dropped a lot in recent years, with usually 2-3 non long-running shows.

One thing I do find however was that Madman had earlier theatrical releases for the bigger films, although it only happened at fixed cinemas in major cities. I watched Maquia at the theaters last April, which was only 2 months after the release in Japan.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:09 am Reply with quote
Aniplex USA releases expensive anime discs, but to me their biggest problem is that they don't do physical releases for several of their licenses, especially if they are old titles. If I were from Oceania I would be more worried about lack of releases from Aniplex than their prices.

And how relevant is the sale of Funimation to this situation? Don't Sony Pictures Television and Aniplex operate independently from each other?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
On the surface this doesn't sound like it's gonna end well for anime fans down-under, given Aniplex's US distribution model. Only time will tell I guess. Neutral

Yeah, I suppose we don't know for sure, but Aniplex of America is probably a good indication of how it will go. People's displeasure about their pricing is far from a secret, but AoA hasn't changed that significantly because it works for them. If that is the case in a location where they have major competition in terms of number of shows on offer, then I can't see where they would have much reason not to apply it to an area where there is next to no competition.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Tungsten Steve wrote:
Oh but if you want to replace you 20 year anniversary ghibli films you bought 5 years ago with 25 year anniversary ghibli films Madman’s got you covered. I look forward to 30 year anniversary ghibli films five years from now. Plus every other month theres an inexplicable new Dragon Ball Z release. New shows come and go and Madman keeps stocking the shelves with old titles I already have.

The thing that really baffles me with DBZ is how the washed out poorly dubbed heavily cropped versions of the original are consistently on shelves, while the far superior director’s cut DBZ Kai is apparently out of print. It’s not even on AnimeLab, meaning that Kai is essentially unavailable here without importing.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder if it includes cinema, given Madman is basically the company that distributes all the cinema anime.

That said it would seem like bad news for AnimeLab in the medium term.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
#874931 wrote:
Is madman anime going to become a separate entity. Is aniplex going to take everything and make a aniplex Australia.

madman anime group has been seperate for a bit now

__
madman has been releasing aniplex titles for a long while now without selling them at massive prices. Unless Madman starts selling the fancy schmancy stuff aniplex does, there shouldn't be a change

also people complaining about madman not releasing titles need to keep in mind the fact there are restrictions with licenses, and that when companies like CR license stuff that tends to mess up distribution overseas
kuzronk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Siren's last releases was El Topo and Holy Mountain in Jan 2017, feels like a end of a era but I hope Madman improves their other releases now instead of releasing them on DVD only months after you could import them on Blu-ray in the UK.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, this means UK's MVM will probably be in for tough times, since they co-sponsor anime releases with Madman to decrease the costs...
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I find this a bit sad. Anime was Madmans original content, now it selling off all its anime assets. I will miss the company the used to be among one of the best for DVD extras during the anime boom and at least tried to do a respectable service (AnimeLab) in the streaming era. They never really got ads for it though so I imagine it wasn`t profitable.

So the company that started with anime and branched out into its eastern movies and drama and finally into its indies lable has now thrown out its anime heritage for a few million. I am mostly interested in what will become of AnimeLab and if this will enable crunchyroll to have less titles that they cannot show in Australia due to region exclusive deals.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3