• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Acquires Australian Distributor Madman Media's Anime Division

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I can see this as being a bad thing, like others have pointed out with the US experience, but I can see this being possibly good too. It kinda feels like Aniplex is buying this on behalf of Sony rather than taking it over themselves. Given the strong partnership between Madman and Funimation (if you could call it that) it may streamline things a bit more, especially regarding streaming content, since AnimeLab only seem to do a few shows each season. Also I have a feeling they wont ditch the name. Madman is a very big brand name here in Australia and NZ, so they will keep it for familiarity, probably having some agreement with the former parent company.
And on the former parent company, I dare say there will still be the partnership with that side of things since Aniplex has a stake in that too. This would be handy since Madman has done some of their own subs in the past for both local release and broadcast on SBS, so I can see them utilising those services.
I guess though at the end of the day it depends on what they plan to do with it. Smart bet would be to leave the status quo on the production end in regards to staff and utilise Sony's processing and distribution here in AU for the physical media. While the article says Aniplex bought the Anime division, it doesn't say anything about dropping their stake in the rest of the company.

Edit: oh, and to add to the original article, the inaugural MadFest Sydney is in just over a month Very Happy
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm another Aussie here, but in recent times, I haven't bought much anime due to not really seeing many licensing announcements, and then following up falls off my radar too easily. At the same time, feel like a lot of the newer titles I've watched haven't been ones that I've been interested enough to buy. And, then some stuff doesn't seem to have been licensed here (like ReLIFE, which I should import soon, as the final arc was released last year).

I think the last anime I bought was Madman's release of the 1st Chu2Koi movie...and before that it would've been Monogatari related from Hanabee.

I assume that with this purchase, Hanabee won't be getting anything newer from the Monogatari franchise.

Just wonder how this will work, will Madman totally disappear (as an anime distributor) and Aniplex Aus will come to fruition. Then Hanabee may start licensing some more new titles?

While I've been typing, decided to jump onto Madman's site, and only now have seen MMO Junkie is up for pre-order. Seems like my run of no anime purchases has now come to an end. Laughing

SaiyamanMS wrote:
The thing that really baffles me with DBZ is how the washed out poorly dubbed heavily cropped versions of the original are consistently on shelves, while the far superior director’s cut DBZ Kai is apparently out of print. It’s not even on AnimeLab, meaning that Kai is essentially unavailable here without importing.

Wow, this is something I didn't even realise. I've never seen Kai, but had been thinking of grabbing it, rather than those older sets I always seeing in JB Hi-Fi (I know of 4 JBs that have them on their shelves - Fountain Gate, Southland, Highpoint, and Eastland). Looked online, and yep, gotta import if you want all of Kai.

kuzronk wrote:
Siren's last releases was El Topo and Holy Mountain in Jan 2017

Hmm, had a look at my collection as I was sure they release Durarara!! x2 after Jan 2017, and yes, March 2017 for that one. And, here I was still hoping for some more Nodame Cantabile. Didn't realise the Siren's website was gone, but I rarely visited it as it had no updates after Durarara.
alextenshi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
So Sly Ip, Product and Marketing Manager from Madman (his twitter) confirmed on the Madman forums that nothing will change, and that Madman brand will not be going away. (source: http://madboards.madman.com.au/viewtopic.php?p=899945&sid=b991735a73a2b4178c58a493f4d49acd#899945)
Greboruri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
It's becoming disheartening that more and more anime titles I want to own are now only available in the US and only available as Bluray. While I have region cracking software on my PC (where I watch anime), I'm finding that an annoying number can't be played.

There have been region free blu-ray players available in Australia for almost as long as blu-ray has been on the market. Just bite the bullet and get a stand alone player.
cosain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 am Reply with quote
I guess this is one of the reason why BNHA hasn't been nuked from AnimeLab again. I was wondering how AL could have streamed it when they had to remove it during Season 2 simulcasting due to licensing rights (BNHA is with Sony distribution iirc down here) and it's still listed as AL titles even tho when it came back it was "for a limited time only" last year.
alextenshi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
cosain wrote:
I guess this is one of the reason why BNHA hasn't been nuked from AnimeLab again. I was wondering how AL could have streamed it when they had to remove it during Season 2 simulcasting due to licensing rights (BNHA is with Sony distribution iirc down here) and it's still listed as AL titles even tho when it came back it was "for a limited time only" last year.

BNHA was originally removed because Funimation decided to release it under their own branding for their AU release instead of sub-licensing it, and thus revoked Madman's streaming license.

AnimeLab/Madman re-added it in order to promote My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (the page said something like "POWERED BY MY HERO ACADEMIA: TWO HEROES. IN CINEMAS NOW"), since Funimation was collaborating with Madman for that release. But since then, Madman and Funimation have a new distribution deal, and the removal of BNHA probably slipped through the cracks.

I don't think the acquisition by Aniplex would have affected BNHA staying since Aniplex is owned by Sony Music, and Funimation by Sony Pictures, and these branches of Sony are very independent from one another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3