• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Tenchi Muyo! GXP Anime Digital Rights Expire

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Very few Tenchi fans care for GXP, but this still doesn’t bode well for them licensing OVA 4. Sad Hope I’m wrong.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Even if the home video rights are safe for now, it still would probably be a good idea for fans to buy the DVD set while it's still available just in case. I think OVA4 was always going to be a hard sell for the US because so much of it relies on Tenchi lore from novels that aren't available in the US.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
and nothing of value was lost
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Even as a Tenchi fan, was rather ho-hum on GXP. While it expanded on parts of the OVA's storyline, Seina and his harem were rather shallow as characters compared to Tenchi and the girls. Not to mention that I didn't find Shinichi Watanabe's style of comedy to mesh well with the Tenchi franchise. Found it to be on the level of Tenchi in Tokyo and Daughter of Darkness in terms of mediocrity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Very few Tenchi fans care for GXP, but this still doesn’t bode well for them licensing OVA 4. Sad Hope I’m wrong.

I’m the clear exception apparently. I discovered this on Adult Swim and just fell in love. It may even be my favorite addition to the lore. I’ve also haven’t cared about the most recent OVAs because they were boring and a slog to get through.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
From watching it when I was 22 in 2010, I remember GXP as a franchise highlight, along with the original OVAs and Universe. In the dub, I found the GXP harem a bit more likeable overall than the original, though that's mainly thanks to the lack of Mihoshi.

And sure, GXP's harem resolution was cheap, but I much preferred it over no final coupling at all (War on Geminar, original OVA series until the upcoming fifth clears that up), an out-of-nowhere pairing (Tenchi Universe dub - I expect I'll like it better when I watch the sub), or automatic victory for the new girl (Tokyo and Ai, though in Ai it didn't bother me).

The old term "Tenchi solution" is meaningless to me. This isn't a franchise that deserves to be used as a standard for handling harem romance.

As for being in the minority or not, here's what the MAL user base thinks of some of the more controversial entries:

Tenchi in Tokyo - 6.94
Daughter of Darkness - 7.19 (sadly this got the best musical score of the franchise, IMO)
GXP - 7.23
Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 3rd Season - 7.39
Ai Tenchi Muyou! - 6.27
Tenchi Muyou! Ryououki 4th Season - 6.82

Personally my least favorite entry is War on Geminar, which has the highest MAL score and was listed by by far the most members - 115,800, versus 50,675 on Universe and 33,649 on the original OVA.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Like the previous two posts, I too was strangely enamored by GXP. It's not a great series, but for some reason I liked the characters and comedy more than the original.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

The GXP anime is OK, but I completely understand why Kajishima-sensei literally put Nabeshin (via NB) in the doghouse during episode 17 and why Kajishima-sensei decided to write the GXP novels.

Still, if folks hate GXP, they are going to hate OVA 4. OVA 4 requires a knowledge of the first several GXP novels as well as War on Geminar anime. The GXP anime will only give you name recognition, but you won't know the events characters speak of when discussing Seina and company.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Even if the home video rights are safe for now, it still would probably be a good idea for fans to buy the DVD set while it's still available just in case. I think OVA4 was always going to be a hard sell for the US because so much of it relies on Tenchi lore from novels that aren't available in the US.

I agree. Get it now while you can.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Even as a Tenchi fan, was rather ho-hum on GXP. While it expanded on parts of the OVA's storyline, Seina and his harem were rather shallow as characters compared to Tenchi and the girls. Not to mention that I didn't find Shinichi Watanabe's style of comedy to mesh well with the Tenchi franchise. Found it to be on the level of Tenchi in Tokyo and Daughter of Darkness in terms of mediocrity.

Heh! Which is pretty much why Kajishima-sensei started writing the GXP novels, which are still going on to this day.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
GXP is not the best Tenchi show but compared to OVA4, it at least has a plot, and it still makes sense as a stand alone work, and I like the characters fine enough. OVA4 is largely exposition set up and I think fans are going to be disappointed when they see it. The GXP opening theme song is really catchy too.
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
The complete GXP S.A.V.E. DVD edition is $16 on Amazon (USA), soooo I just bought it. That makes it the third anime I've ever bought on DVD, after The Animatrix and Tenchi Universe. (Since those I've only bought BDs... and a VHS tape of Vampire Hunter D, which was super cheap on eBay, for the sole purpose of having it displayed on the shelf for fun)

This was my open attitude approaching OVA 4 episode 1:

Quote:
Being myself Tenchi Universe Kiyone scum, and having no familiarity with the canon outside anime, I get the feeling the anime is increasingly meant mainly as a treat for fans of the written works. Even if so, that's fine, it's still an enjoyable watch.

But after the fourth and climactic (sarcasm) final episode, I wrote this:

Quote:
Episode outline:
• Women having committee meeting
• Women having committee meeting in bikinis
• Women having committee meeting naked
• Women having committee meeting in sleepwear

I enjoyed Nobuyuki's wedding, but it's not wrong to wish for action and adventure from a main entry in a franchise that originally offered plenty. Or if not that, at least something more entertaining than committee meetings unnecessarily setting up old spinoffs. That could have been a picture drama.

I'm keenly interested in the upcoming fifth OVA series about Tenchi's kids, for better or worse.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
GXP remains one of the most painful anime-watching experiences I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through. I think I wanted to brutally murder 90% of the cast by the end of it.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 am Reply with quote
I've had GXP on DVD for a long time already so FUNi losing the digital rights doesn't bother me one bit. Much like PurpleWarrior13 I'm just hoping this isn't a bad sign for OVA4 getting licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
GXP remains one of the most painful anime-watching experiences I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through. I think I wanted to brutally murder 90% of the cast by the end of it.

'Sasami: Magical Girls Club' was one for me. Ugh, that and the last OVA series was the worst.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
In a way OVA 4 was a success for me.

It got me to start reading the GXP novels.

well... poor translations of the novels. So they haven't made any money off of me from GXP novels. Yet.

But I am currently buying the 3 True Tenchi releases and am holding out hope that maybe the GXP novels will be released too. Hopefully in a sort of Omnibus format 1-3 novels in one. There's a lot to catch up with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The ANN article said the GXP license was supposed to expire on Friday night at 1:01 a.m. but the streams are still up. Do they mean early Saturday?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1