• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Nobody Nothing wrote:

When an individual is released from jail, there's a chance they'll repeat their behavior. But obviously most people wouldn't advocate permanent incarceration for all inmates. To what extent should Vic - or anyone else like him in anime or even society at large - be given the chance to move on within their industry?

If you're looking for a definitive answer to that question, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Forgiveness is something that can be earned, but is not owed or guaranteed. And with how many people Vic has hurt, and for how long these stories have been kept quiet or dismissed, I think it's frankly misguided to prioritize concern for his future.
Nobody Nothing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Nobody Nothing wrote:

When an individual is released from jail, there's a chance they'll repeat their behavior. But obviously most people wouldn't advocate permanent incarceration for all inmates. To what extent should Vic - or anyone else like him in anime or even society at large - be given the chance to move on within their industry?

If you're looking for a definitive answer to that question, I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. Forgiveness is something that can be earned, but is not owed or guaranteed. And with how many people Vic has hurt, and for how long these stories have been kept quiet or dismissed, I think it's frankly misguided to prioritize concern for his future.

Victims should be prioritized, but I'd like to think that doesn't mean throw a potentially redeemable person away. But you're right that his pattern of behavior makes it seem less advisable to keep him around... I guess part of me just really wants him to get better despite the amount of victims, so I'm also not completely objective myself.

Sigh. Human nature has ugly results when you let it take control. I suppose you can say Vic Mignogna dug his own grave. Hopefully everything works out for everybody in the end.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Why does "helping Vic get better" have to happen in the anime industry though? That would mean that he has to be around his victims, and potential new victims, in order to get better. That means he continues to have the easy access to starstruck teenage girls he has at cons. (If you were a parent of a teenage girl who loved anime, would you be ok with cons letting him appear there and get catered to and stay in their hotel while knowing he had this kind of record of interactions with girls?) Instead of thinking about the burden on Vic, maybe think about the burden on his victims? Asking them to stand by and help along their abuser on the road to "redemption" is asking them to put themselves at continued risk and potentially re-traumatize themselves for his sake. I think that's much a bigger burden than him having to find a job elsewhere. Which he probably could easily, given that he's held other jobs before this (just look up his Wikipedia page).

Also tbh, I've seen this cycle happen too many times and for a guy with the lifelong pattern that seems to be emerging here, I'm not sure I'm convinced how much "better" they can get. If that means I'm not being sympathetic or forgiving enough, so be it, but I feel like I so often see men like this get infinite second chances that they just use to find new and more innovative ways to victimize people -- and meanwhile no one ever thinks about the chances and opportunities they took away from their victims. Someone has to look out for them. Might as well be me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
pirateaddict wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I believe most of the acusations against Vic and once again all the stories are misdemeanor level if at all criminal. No one is going to jail for any of this crap. <snip> There are many people on Twitter comparing the guy to the Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and the Bill Cosby's of the world. These people actually drugged, tried and raped people. These Vic Mignogna acusations are not even close. This is why I support the guy. He's made an apology for the uncomfortable interactions with fans. He maybe a Diva in the recording booth, but many actors have certain amount of ego. Some are just bigger than others. The current con cancellations are fair, but he shouldnt lose his career and be black balled because of it.

[Edit]: removed sarcasm directed at victims. Errinundra.

Definitely this, Vic has apologised, promised to change his behaviour and has now faced numerous accusations. We'll never know everything about what went on behind the scenes. He's been disinvited by many cons and already lost two roles. There's no doubt after all this publicity he'll be closely monitored. I hope Vic apologises to his fellow VAs and if handled well he should be able to continue his career even if it takes a while for things to die down.

Pretty much my view of the situation. Unless it comes out that he's committed crimes, at this point it can come across as piling on. He's lost credibility, two roles (aka, fired), is being ostracized and has been disinvited to multiple cons. He's apologized, and promises to change. Punishment and potential atonement. Isn't the point for people to change for the better?

Do we really want this man to completely lose his career forever and hit rock bottom? I just find this weird. Everyone is attacking just him, including other VAs accused of potentially worse actions.

At the end of the day, people should just stay decent.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
He's apologized, and promises to change.

Do we really want this man to completely lose his career forever and hit rock bottom? I just find this weird. Everyone is attacking just him, including other VAs accused of potentially worse actions.

Where did he promise to change? He said he'd stop hugging people at cons, in a way that made it clear that he thought it was ridiculous he'd have to do that and that he was really just sorry for the fans who want hugs that these meaaaannnnn accusers would keep them from getting that. He hasn't been remorseful at all, or promised any other meaningful change. One small change that he makes clear is very begrudging is not a guy who's genuinely apologized or seems like he really understands what he did was wrong or cares at all about the victims.

People have different definitions of "staying decent." For me, that definitely does not include telling rape and abuse survivors that they're wrong to be angry and want lasting consequences for someone who has been accused of hurting so many women in the ways they were hurt. "Decent" or "nice" behavior shouldn't take precedent over justice and doing what's morally right. Nice is different from good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed some overquoting and added asterisks to a slur
Sethimothy wrote:
Looking at complaints on Cosfu dating back to 2005; convention attendees were complaining specifically about how "hands-on" this voice actor was, especially to underage attendees. Why would those 14 and 15 year olds complain or file a report? They were fans, getting attention from their idol! Arguably uncouth and problematic attention, but attention none the less. Plus, this was happening at anime conventions, where this sort of behavior was at times not just accepted but seen as part of the culture. So even when it did make these teenagers uncomfortable, and even they felt strongly enough to make waves by reporting it over the head of security staff and convention organizers... what were you going to do then? Good luck finding an officer that would take more than a passing interest in it. After all, it was just a "misunderstanding." What was seen was a mistake, not malicious intent. And this is justhow conventions are.

So, instead (apparently), this behavior became further codified and, by proxy, accepted.

That's another worry that I have - not just that it took 15 years for the attempts to call out Vic to have any real traction outside of the rare canceled appearance or forcing the man to feel the need to give a half hearted apology, but that this sort of stuff is intertwined in the convention experience, and there's a long history of it. People are calling out Mr. Mignogna as being homophobic due to some comments during interviews and some actions that show in the best light he had issues with it being implied the characters he played were gay as it might be seen he was to; I guess we've all forgiven and forgotten the time that Sakura Con of Seattle thought the best way to be more "family friendly" was to enact rules specifically targeting its gay participants.

There's also a lot of complaints that this incident is "just piggybacking" off of the #metoo movement, but I feel the real issue is that we're not seeing a revolution on the fandom's own terms and merits. From calls that if you're not white you're only allowed to cosplay characters with your proper skin type, to if men wish to dress as a female character they are in actuality "a t***" to the belief that "con sex" is just the right pickup line away, coupled with the cults of personalities that absolutely pervade the convention scene? I'd argue the pig's back needs to be taken here and forged into it's own movement, so to speak. These things have been happening for decades. Men, women, vendors, convention staff, convention operators... there's plenty of stories there. I think it's time to stop hyper focusing on the one guy who finally got called out on his actions, and start looking at the broader picture: the environment that allows this kind of stuff to thrive.

Finally, someone puts into words what I've been thinking.

This culture was allowed to persist, and it created problems like Vic, and others. Yet, like you, me, and others have mentioned, the target is only Vic. No talk of the eccentric culture that is cons and the anime community in general (with fans gleefully watching cartoons about underage girls in sexual situations all the time). This should've been nipped in the bud long ago, but it wasn't.

Hopefully this leads to a broader conversation, and less Vics being allowed to be privks without a smack upside the head.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
This is the last time I'll post so I'll try and post this in a thoughtful way without losing my temper .

The response overall to this is HORRIFYING. Some of you seriously need to rethink things; just imagine if this was your wife, mother or god forbid your daughter. Between here and Twitter...this is exactly why women don't speak up.

And what would anyone gain from trying to blackmail him as VM's defenders are claiming? First of all...he's not Robert DeNiro; put him in a large group and most people wouldn't know who this was. And for those asking why nothing was reported, most of the accusers were underage; they couldn't do it anyway and it all depends on the statues of limitations right?

I've always had issues with this kind of hypothetical. I get it's to make the situation more relevant to people, but it also mixes in emotions. That creates a bias when there's supposed to be two sides, and none of us know what his intentions were.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 am Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
This culture was allowed to persist, and it created problems like Vic, and others. Yet, like you, me, and others have mentioned, the target is only Vic. No talk of the eccentric culture that is cons and the anime community in general (with fans gleefully watching cartoons about underage girls in sexual situations all the time). This should've been nipped in the bud long ago, but it wasn't.

Hopefully this leads to a broader conversation, and less Vics being allowed to be privks without a smack upside the head.

You're wrong about this. Right now, on the ANN forums, the talk is mostly centered around Vic, because Vic i the only voice actor with articles about him so far, and so specific accusations against other people are off topic. However, the culture that allowed Vic to behave this way so long, the problems with cons and the greed and other issues that resulted in this culture of silence that allowed this to happen, have been discussed too, as they are relevant. Those conversations have tended to been buried in this threads because these threads are, well, "fun", but these conversations have been had. And in other places, on Twitter and behind closed doors, you can bet those conversations are being had.

But that doesn't mean Vic can't suffer consequences. That doesn't mean he should be let off the hook, and allowed to continue like nothing happened basically. True, the problem is way, way bigger than Vic, and the larger culture in the anime community needs to be changed, but if we let Vic off the hook and just continue business as usual, no consequences for his decades of bad behavior, how will that serve to change anything.

Vic is just the beginning when it comes to fixing things, yes, but that doesn't mean he can be ignored.
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:

Like the moderators themselves have said, beware of any suspicious Twitter accounts. This account had less than 100 followers when they posted this. It should be taken with a huge grain of salt.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Like the moderators themselves have said, beware of any suspicious Twitter accounts. This account had less than 100 followers when they posted this. It should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Uh, this is not the type of thing they're talking about in terms of "suspicious Twitter accounts." Her Twitter account has been around for two years, she first told this story in October 2017 over a year before #KickVic, and you can clearly see that she and her story have had the support of several other victims and other people close to this story in the replies, as well as corroborating stories from other victims, also in the replies.

Using a mod warning about harassment and conspiracy theories to try to delegitimize victims' testimony is really low.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
Pretty much my view of the situation. Unless it comes out that he's committed crimes, at this point it can come across as piling on. He's lost credibility, two roles (aka, fired), is being ostracized and has been disinvited to multiple cons. He's apologized, and promises to change. Punishment and potential atonement. Isn't the point for people to change for the better?

Except I don't see a single decent thing about the behavior you propose with your argument.

Here is the thing - Vic Mignogna's behavior lasted for fifteen years. During that time, he apologized and promised to change multiple times, only to go back to his behavior as soon as it benefited him. He is outright legendary as a walking nightmare among convention staffers, many of whom have been looking for an excuse to stop inviting him to their cons for years. And thanks to the behavior of both his fans and the usual Neo-Nazi crowd who have become involved in this because they're eager to attack women at every opportunity, he has burned his bridges with an enormous part of the anime community.

With that in mind, what the hell is his career going to be in this industry going forward.

Convention staffers hated him for years, and now they have an excuse to not hold it in anymore.

Other voice actors, both male and female, largely cannot stand him because of a history of sexual harassment and power abuse, as well as the death threats they received from his psychopath fanboys over the last week.

Pretty much everyone in the community who isn't a member of the alt-right or a hardcore Vic fan, wants nothing to do with him anymore.

And yet by your logic, he should go back and work in this environment where he'll be surrounded by people who despise him and are unlikely to ever forgive him every day of his life, all because... IDK because he wasn't persecuted for his behavior earlier? Because he deserves a paycheck? Because you really want your favorite actor to keep getting roles? What?

I don't see a single decent thing about forcing someone to be exposed to a hostile environment in which he turned everyone against him as a result of his own and his fans' behavior. Do feel free to enlighten me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 am Reply with quote
I've been avoiding putting in on this, but as I haven't seen the following perspective in the posts and Vic has participated in Christian ministry, consider the Apostle Paul's letter 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "avoid every form of evil" rendered in the King James as "avoid even the appearance of evil". Without getting into whether the latter is the best rendering, it is well known in Christian ministries especially for men that the latter is the best way to conduct yourself and I'd bet Vic must have heard that at least once.

I love Jamie's voice and work and similarly for Vic but I'd caution against letting those feelings prejudicing what one accepts about them. If he did even a fraction of what is alleged, I don't see a way he couldn't have been aware of how his behavior could be perceived as "bad" at least. If he allowed himself to get into situations where he was tempted to those behaviors once he was aware of the problem, that is negligence and that should not be excused or concealed. In fact, rather than apologize Vic should volunteer to not have unsupervised contact with others in ministry or his profession regardless of the truth of the allegations at minimum and if he doesn't, he shouldn't be let within 10 feet of any female in the workplace.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:

On of the issues of this particular case is one of the ability to consent versus the desire to. Looking at complaints on Cosfu dating back to 2005; convention attendees were complaining specifically about how "hands-on" this voice actor was, especially to underage attendees. Why would those 14 and 15 year olds complain or file a report? They were fans, getting attention from their idol! Arguably uncouth and problematic attention, but attention none the less. Plus, this was happening at anime conventions, where this sort of behavior was at times not just accepted but seen as part of the culture. So even when it did make these teenagers uncomfortable, and even they felt strongly enough to make waves by reporting it over the head of security staff and convention organizers... what were you going to do then? Good luck finding an officer that would take more than a passing interest in it. After all, it was just a "misunderstanding." What was seen was a mistake, not malicious intent. And this is justhow conventions are.

Oh wow, Cosfu. What a weird community that was.

I do remember the rumblings about Vic there way back when, too. It was when his wild popularity was a relatively recent development.

The thing about Cosfu was, while a lot of it was founded on a sort of Mean Girls attitude that I really regret taking part in now, the culture of irreverence meant that no one there really gave a shit about how popular someone was. People weren't afraid to point out how weird the level of contact he had with his fans was, and the cultishness of his fan club.

I also remember, a few years later in the late 00's, having a friend who lived near the Funimation studios and was friends with a lot of the voice actors there. She went to a big dinner with some of them, and posted a picture of everyone there doodling terrible things on a picture of Vic's face. He wasn't well-liked among his colleagues then, either.
Dewey Donedidit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Uh, this is not the type of thing they're talking about in terms of "suspicious Twitter accounts." Her Twitter account has been around for two years, she first told this story in October 2017 over a year before #KickVic, and you can clearly see that she and her story have had the support of several other victims and other people close to this story in the replies, as well as corroborating stories from other victims, also in the replies.

Are you certain about that? I only see 11 Tweets in October of 2017 from that account and none of them relate to Vic Mignogna at all. Was the story posted elsewhere perhaps?

The moderator who warned about suspicious Twitter accounts said nothing about the content of what entailed a suspicious account, just a general warning.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10