• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Yeah because that's a quantifiable metric.
Funny enough I was going to say "not that that means much", but I though nah people won't take it seriously, they are very perceptive.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:54 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Funny enough I was going to say "not that that means much", but I though nah people won't take it seriously, they are very perceptive.

you joke, but these are literally the types of arguments and defenses I've seen from people taking Vic's side. Shocked
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I believe most of the acusations against Vic and once again all the stories are misdemeanor level if at all criminal. No one is going to jail for any of this crap. <snip> There are many people on Twitter comparing the guy to the Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and the Bill Cosby's of the world. These people actually drugged, tried and raped people. These Vic Mignogna acusations are not even close. This is why I support the guy. He's made an apology for the uncomfortable interactions with fans. He maybe a Diva in the recording booth, but many actors have certain amount of ego. Some are just bigger than others. The current con cancellations are fair, but he shouldnt lose his career and be black balled because of it.

[Edit]: removed sarcasm directed at victims. Errinundra.

Definitely this, Vic has apologised, promised to change his behaviour and has now faced numerous accusations. We'll never know everything about what went on behind the scenes. He's been disinvited by many cons and already lost two roles. There's no doubt after all this publicity he'll be closely monitored. I hope Vic apologises to his fellow VAs and if handled well he should be able to continue his career even if it takes a while for things to die down.
Tandy299

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 am Reply with quote
Evidence has surfaced that Vic is being libeled/slandered, and at least one of the purported victims, who was shown on a pic at a convention being hugged by Vic and was said to have felt unwelcome to his 'advances', has said it's a lie and that she enjoyed being with him and had NO NEGATIVE FEELINGS about their 'encounter'/fan photo.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
Tandy299 wrote:
Evidence has surfaced that Vic is being libeled/slandered, and at least one of the purported victims, who was shown on a pic at a convention being hugged by Vic and was said to have felt unwelcome to his 'advances', has said it's a lie and that she enjoyed being with him and had NO NEGATIVE FEELINGS about their 'encounter'/fan photo.

Vic has been known for creepy behavior for years. None of this is new. What is new, besides the publication of an article on his creepy behavior, are the allegations of sexual assault.
Seif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:

That was addressed here which was posted early and then linked early in the thread.

Please read the thread.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
He was the most popular voice actor on the convention circuit. Everyone treated him with kid gloves because he was the one and only Vic Mignogna. Who was I? A nobody in comparison.
You are higher on Behind the Voice Actors than him.

I assume this happened many years ago, when Marchi was relatively new; think around the tim Brotherhood came out (where she played the bit role of Rebecca). She’s well-known now, but definitely not as much as BTVA makes her out to be (2nd of all time? Seriously?). The only real outlier is that, as a writer, she actually has influence in the company that Vic doesn’t, though she did mention she just shrugged it off because she didn’t know what to do then, which is common among assault victims.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Are there any more named VAs who have come forward, I heard someone on twitter say Terri Doty, but I couldn't find a source.
Gemnist wrote:
I assume this happened many years ago, when Marchi was relatively new; think around the tim Brotherhood came out (where she played the bit role of Rebecca).
I Wasn't too sure if she had shot up around the time of PSG, as the dub was very popular, and had just never gone down since.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Bebop56210 wrote:
I wonder if funimation has/had security cams in this "lobby" and if they archived footage from whenever this would've happened. Should be easy enough to prove or disprove this that way.

Not so simple. This incident is said to have happened years ago, so I imagine there's a fair chance if they did have the footage it wouldn't still be saved. And even if they did, and managed to find the footage from this day, the cameras might not have a good angle to get a clear picture of the event, there might be periods where both were off camera, and I'm pretty sure most security cameras don't have audio and wouldn't have recorded what he said.

And even if by some freakish chance the camera footage did still exist, had a perfect angle, the footage was high resolution, and the camera recorded audio and managed to perfectly pick up what Vic said, and it turned out it was sexual in nature, some folks would still defend it, insist it's not that bad, speculate that maybe Jamie did something before off camera to invite it, and so forth.

I would point out that for this incident, and for most of the other incidents, there is also a problem in terms of statute of limitations. It can vary state by state but for most, if not all of these incidents, the time would have run out in terms of what he could be charged with. Actual rape would has a much longer statute of limitations associated with it. The only crime that has no statute of limitations is murder. This also is an answer to why no charges have been filed yet, and probably won't be. Now, the statute of limitations can vary state to state and I am only familiar with the states of MD & VA. Plus when I was in college for criminal justice it was many years ago and laws change all the time. Point being though that even if there was camera footage for this incident, or any others, it probably would not matter in terms of criminal charges at this point. Which is part of why it is so important the various cons and companies do something internally to help prevent and stop such behavior from Vic or anyone else.

pirateaddict wrote:

Definitely this, Vic has apologised, promised to change his behaviour and has now faced numerous accusations. We'll never know everything about what went on behind the scenes. He's been disinvited by many cons and already lost two roles. There's no doubt after all this publicity he'll be closely monitored. I hope Vic apologises to his fellow VAs and if handled well he should be able to continue his career even if it takes a while for things to die down.

So you think a simple apology is enough? Oh he promised to change his beahvior, how wonderful. How does that excuse his behavior? If any normal Joe Smoe acted in a fraction of this manner at a normal job you get fired. How should he be any different? It continues to blow my mind how many people seem to thank some simple apology (which so far have been half assed) excuses this sort of behavior. At what point is an apology not enough? Would he have to had raped a few of these girls before many of his supporters said that was "not cool" and an apology was not enough? I mean seriously the amount of people willing to just excuse this away and sweep it under the rug is how we got to this point to begin with.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I Wasn't too sure if she had shot up around the time of PSG, as the dub was very popular, and had just never gone down since.

I'd push it back 4 years to at least Witchblade
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Removed some more victim blaming/excuse posts.
macattack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Bebop56210 wrote:
I wonder if funimation has/had security cams in this "lobby" and if they archived footage from whenever this would've happened. Should be easy enough to prove or disprove this that way.

When Vic Mignogna was voice-directing Juni Taisen Zodiac War there was film of him greeting his cast members as they finished their roles (there was a LOT of death in that series). Heck, I think he may have even been the one to post said videos.

One must wonder the true purpose of that camera now...

Psycho 101 wrote:

So you think a simple apology is enough? Oh he promised to change his beahvior, how wonderful. How does that excuse his behavior? If any normal Joe Smoe acted in a fraction of this manner at a normal job you get fired. How should he be any different? It continues to blow my mind how many people seem to thank some simple apology (which so far have been half assed) excuses this sort of behavior. At what point is an apology not enough? Would he have to had raped a few of these girls before many of his supporters said that was "not cool" and an apology was not enough? I mean seriously the amount of people willing to just excuse this away and sweep it under the rug is how we got to this point to begin with.

I am probably going to get cut down for responding to this, but how are we supposed to believe the moderators are acting with any impartiality when you post things like this?

You've already made up your mind that Vic is guilty. (Full disclosure, I think Vic is guilty of some things myself). But you are constantly removing posts defending Vic, and from the tone of the articles and the behavior of the staff everyone has already made up their minds on him, and you all want to push the narrative that he is guilty with as little opposition as possible. I know that ANN doesn't have to allow the forum to be a "free speech zone" but it makes ANN's moderators look reactionary and suspicious with this kind of behavior.

I can't come to the forums every single day. I don't know what you're classifying as "victim blaming". But without the chance to see what the other side is arguing I can't decide for myself what is victim blaming.

You are all becoming activists and turning ANN into an activist website when it is supposed to be a news site for anime in general with additional editorials and reviews. Don't become Comics Alliance for anime, please. That didn't turn out so well for them.
RyumuruJireyes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Removed some more victim blaming/excuse posts.

I didn't think I was victim blaming? I was just trying to say we should wait until evidence and not accusations present themselves before this man's life was destroyed..and again don't get me wrong if he did do all of these horrid things then maybe he shouldn't be at cons but has anyone come froward with a police case? court case? anything?

I swear I am not trying to be scummy and bad I am just..voicing myself. I am not trying to victim blame this woman at all..at least I'm not trying to. And this one was just the most recent article discussing this so this is where I decided to voice my concerns.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Are there any more named VAs who have come forward, I heard someone on twitter say Terri Doty, but I couldn't find a source.

In terms of people that came out as victims, I know that J. Michael Tatum, Monica Rial, Marissa Lenti, and Todd Haberkorn have stated they had been in that situation, and Christopher Wehkamp has stated that he directly knows people who have. As for people who have spoken in support of survivors, aside from Terri Doty there’s Christopher Sabat, Justin Briner, Madeleine Morris, Megan Shipman, Amber Lee Connors, Amanda Lee, Daman Mills, Dawn M Bennett, Josh Grelle, Brandon McInnis, and Howard Wang AFAIK.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'd push it back 4 years to at least Witchblade

If we’re going off when she became a household name, PSG definitely put her on the map, but I’d say High School DxD is when she truly broke into the general conversation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10