• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Maria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 am Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:

I think there is a dangerous gap between institutions not believing the victim and even blaming them and the public vying for: "Always believe the victim" that's lately been used as a sort of proverbial band-aid over poorly evaluated rape cases. I fear for when someone dispassionate and shallow enough to be be feckless and use the good will of people and their sensitivity to abuse, or their identity as a woman, to feign abuse to indict someone over something petty or trivial or even nothing at all.

I guess it's just the part of the process that we're in: where we legitimately almost have no way to avoid the tightrope between protecting a victim of abuse and permanently blemishing a person's life forever, if they didn't commit the crime.

Public opinion is something the legal system tries to stamp out. The best jurors are the ones who don't pay attention to the news or know anything about a case, because their opinions will be more free from bias of hearing what the public thinks is "the truth". But the reality is most cases like this are dismissed due to the claims being unfounded or unsubstantial. If there's zero proof to suggest something happened,no judge is going to go to trial and it will be dismissed at a hearing. That's why public outrage is so dangerous. The legal system has to make sure something is true before they act; an outrage mob does not. It's understandable why people love giving into public outrage, but it always leads to more harm than good.
purpleloops

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 am Reply with quote
Sailor Maria wrote:
purpleloops wrote:

I think there is a dangerous gap between institutions not believing the victim and even blaming them and the public vying for: "Always believe the victim" that's lately been used as a sort of proverbial band-aid over poorly evaluated rape cases. I fear for when someone dispassionate and shallow enough to be be feckless and use the good will of people and their sensitivity to abuse, or their identity as a woman, to feign abuse to indict someone over something petty or trivial or even nothing at all.

I guess it's just the part of the process that we're in: where we legitimately almost have no way to avoid the tightrope between protecting a victim of abuse and permanently blemishing a person's life forever, if they didn't commit the crime.

Public opinion is something the legal system tries to stamp out. The best jurors are the ones who don't pay attention to the news or know anything about a case, because their opinions will be more free from bias of hearing what the public thinks is "the truth". But the reality is most cases like this are dismissed due to the claims being unfounded or unsubstantial. If there's zero proof to suggest something happened,no judge is going to go to trial and it will be dismissed at a hearing. That's why public outrage is so dangerous. The legal system has to make sure something is true before they act; an outrage mob does not. It's understandable why people love giving into public outrage, but it always leads to more harm than good.

Right, but this doesn't stop false accusations from seeing a day in court or even winning their case with the general public thinking this person is in the right and is not abusing this honor system of Always Believing Survivors.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'll jump in and second the notion that no matter which side you align with, it's best not to let your emotions fly off the handle (death threats, refusing to distinguish between basic skepticism and full bias, etc.).

There are good reasons to be angry, so no one should be ashamed of their feelings. Seriously, people treat feelings like they don't matter, but on a personal level, it's healthy and important to be expressive and honest. Even so, be conscious and deliberate. Do not let your emotions justify hurting another, making threats, or as a wall to block out criticism (even if you find the criticism to be faulty). Conduct yourself with respect so that others can see the same in you. If debating, engage your opponent. If you cannot, feel free to let it go for your own sake. Engaging negatively toward your opponent often won't get through to them and typically causes them to strengthen their own bias. Continued exposure to this negativity is part of why we have the current political climate.

Personally, I think we should leave this to those involved directly. I do have a biased view against Vic due to previous experience with him online, but it's not my place to say whether he's guilty or not. There are plenty of people already looking into the accusations and most of what will happen as a consequence has already happened. I support those affected most by his actions, severe or minor, and I hope his ejection from the industry helps you heal. I've definitely seen a few isolated instances of people openly and publicly trying to fake evidence against Vic, and those do not diminish the case against him. For those who are suspicious of the accusations, I cannot prove that you are wrong, but the frequency of his conduct doesn't sit well in your favor. Even so, I think it's fine you fight for what you believe. To give some advice, simply be conscious of what your words might mean if you're wrong. I'll point that both ways and leave it here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

It's worth noting that some cons did refuse to invite him back. There's always been this growing list of cons that were rumored to have banned him from future guest appearances, but it was hush-hush, rumors (that percolated if it'd been a few years since he made an appearance somewhere big), and you'd only know for sure if you knew someone on con staff there. And usually it was more due to him treating the con volunteers like crap than the rumors of sexual misconduct. But there definitely were some cons that put their foot down and refused to allow him back. For example, I know Anime Boston was one. I'm sure others can list some more, but that's the only specific one that comes to mind for me right now.

Your point is valid that some may not have invited him back. I'll take your word on Anime Boston as I've never been. I'll rephrase my point to "any cons that knew and did nothing" in regards to either the staff harassment or the sexual harassment.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
purpleloops wrote:

Right, but this doesn't stop false accusations from seeing a day in court or even winning their case with the general public thinking this person is in the right and is not abusing this honor system of Always Believing Survivors.

You're making it appear as if the majority of assault allegations are false. While there are inevitably false allegations, only about 10% are. Obviously, that means than 90% of assault allegations are true. And with a majority like that, it really needs to be taken more seriously. Try not to associate this instance with the 10% immediately just because it's someone famous.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Was my post criticizing Monica Rial's reaction to certain people deleted? I can't find it anywhere!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Was my post criticizing Monica Rial's reaction to certain people deleted? I can't find it anywhere!

For starters check the thread topic. This is not the discussion on Monica Rial. We've said countless times stick to the topic at hand in the more specific threads and not drag other issues and reports into them. You want to discuss Monica specifically go to the article on her tweets/claims.

Secondly, we've also stated many times we're removing posts that victim blame or excuse away such behavior. As in saying he's just an idiot and not a pervert which belittles his actions. Furthermore It's very bad faith, and downright hypocritical, to say harassment is not ok, but then in the same post criticize someone who says they will report harassment and threats (like the death threats and threats of violence she is getting) to the police. That she is following the advice of her lawyers in waiting to open up. You even said that's not ok (her conduct) if Vic was a sexual predator all this time. Saying she should expect this sort of criticism for standing up for herself and not condoning threats of violence is victim blaming 101.

So yea, your post sure as hell was removed. As will be any further posts along those lines.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
As for your first point, I said that I was keeping an open mind until things were made clearer regarding Vic's actions. I met him, and he's a real pompous jerk, but being a jerk isn't against the law. The worse things he's accused of are things that I'm simply keeping in my head as accusations for the moment. Just because I'm not on the same page as you doesn't mean I'm victim blaming.

As for belittling the stakes here, I never did that. What I said was that, in regards to very specific, polite tweets speaking critically of Monica's actions or questioning her judgment, she threatened legal action. I even specifically said she was right to do that with people who were issuing death threats or threats of any kind. My actual complaint was her reaction to people who said she took too long despite knowing about it all this time or she was acting so friendly toward him last month, what happened in between then and now?

I was never victim blaming, but at this point, I sincerely believe that Monica's reaction to the small handful of polite disagreements has made her look bad. She's not good at handling PR. I don't understand what I said that came across as Victim Blaming, but I thought I was very careful with my wording. It feels like ANN is trying to push one very specific narrative and anything that I say that contradicts with that line of thought makes me a victim blaming sociopath. I don't even like Vic Mignogna and have no issue believing most of these claims, I'm just keeping an open mind. Guilty until proven innocent is a toxic mindset that we got rid of after the dark ages of humanity.

You may have been right about where I posted it though. Maybe I should have said a good deal of what I said in another topic, but I stand firm in believing that you're jumping the gun when claiming I was "victim blaming." It seems to have become an all-powerful phrase that mods on here are throwing around, and I think it should stop before things go too far.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
^ "On today's episode of "Enlightened men arguing with moderators" Rolling Eyes

Every facebook post Funimation makes is getting flooded with salty trolls. People doesn't seem to realize how contractual work, works. Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
NervClaX wrote:
Labor laws protect whistleblowers who come forward in good faith.

Those laws don't really protect freelancers. All a company needs to do to retaliate is not hire them again. They don't need a reason.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:

Every facebook post Funimation makes is getting flooded with salty trolls. People doesn't seem to realize how contractual work, works. Confused

If there's something I failed to understand, please enlighten me. I don't want one outcome or another. I'm seriously just keeping an open mind until something strong enough to sway me comes around.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - removed off topic rant, this is not the forum to argue about Psycho 101's posts/moderation - Maya

As for Vic, I can only speak with my very brief experiences with him. I volunteered at AnimeNext for several years and either 2005 or 2006 (don't remember) I was part of a group of staff that handled one of his panels.. and he was a dick. I didn't see anything questionable but he acted like an asshat. There were other VA's that acted similarly during my brief time as Con staff, and it was par for the course.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

If there's something I failed to understand, please enlighten me. I don't want one outcome or another. I'm seriously just keeping an open mind until something strong enough to sway me comes around.

I saw your post. I didn't think you were victim-blaming...

Anyone who works at Funi right now just needs to lay off the Internet, other than announcements about their shows for awhile because the trolls aren't going to let this go for awhile.

If you'd ask me ten years ago who would cause such a scandal, I would've said no one, especially Ed Elric, despite the fact that I've heard rumors of his diva behavior...and that whole thing about him not signing yaoi fanart.
Phraze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Phraze wrote:
Though, Monica recently revealed being part of the internal investigation. I'll hand it to Funi for going that extra mile. Companies usually have the right to break off engagements if scandals. Safe to assume what they discovered was insufficient to nullify their contract on the Morose something(?) dub, though. All's well ends well.

Is this confirmed or rumor? Because if Monica Rial was revealed part of the investigation team, then there is a clear conflict of interest due her own interactions with Vic. This could look very bad for Funimation.

As others in the thread clarified, she was only questioned. I only mentioned "being part" as a blanket term, but I guess it's easily misunderstood.
https://twitter.com/Rialisms/status/1095142142748643333

And there's also another person who seems to know how the investigation started.
https://twitter.com/bcscarbrough/status/1095415980526845952
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Mod Edit - Removed reference to a deleted post

As for listening to Vic's side. We have already heard from Vic, he only admits to hugging and kissing fans. He has not admitted to, or even come close to providing an explanation for the physical assaults he committed on Jessie Pridemoore, and Jamie Marchi, and likely Monica Rial.

If he denies all that, there is no perspective of his to look at. That's his loss, not the victims.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 15