• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Will Not Engage Vic Mignogna on Future Productions

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Dewey Donedidit wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
Serious Question: Not trying to troll you; seeing all of these people #StandWithVic has me wondering

What is it about this guy that makes you ride or die? I mean, there's better VAs that have been around as long or longer as Vic; take Crispin Freeman for example. He's voiced some pretty iconic characters, is a big(or was...I dunno if he still does cons. Does he?) figure in anime, isn't a bad looking guy and yet everyone loves him and says he's a truly nice guy who doesn't have an ego. Nor has he been accused by both congoers and industry professionals of inappropriate behavior.

Vic's always going to be iconic for Ed Elric alone but in the last few roles I've heard him in, he's dialed it in basically.( I'm not really a DBZ Fan so I dunno about Broly) but what gets me about this is how people are seriously out to get anyone that talks about crap about VM.

You're assuming people defending Vic are fans of his. I can assure you I am not. I do not even watch dubs. The reason I'm on his side though is because we've seen countless internet outrage mobs ruin lives and careers with no evidence and get away with it, and even when it turns to be false, nobody is held accountable for it and people simply shrug and move on to the next outrage. You're already seeing it in this thread. People who defend Vic are being labeled as crazy people who send death threats, but all the #KickVic people who made attacks and death threats against him and Vic's defenders are either ignored or dismissed as mere jokes and told you can't label them with the actions of a few people. It's a total bad faith double standard when people can label one side as alt-right incels nazis who make violent death threat, but the other side can't be held accountable in the same way.

I get that people were leery about this at first. I admit, I had my reservations at first too. I've heard all the gossip that VM was a diva; and as I've said, it's not against the law for jerkdom. I was definitely skeeved out by the groping teenage girls, but at the same time, it isn't like the law could do anything about it. But when I read ANN's article a few weeks back, some things began to ping for me. Especially the fact that he was a forty five year old man asking for a fifteen year old's phone number....

Then when I saw Monica Rial on twitter saying that she needed to step away and then Jamie Marchi's story and started reading a few accounts from Funi staffers about how off VM he was, THEN I realized that something was up and that...well, not that I supported him in the first place, but I couldn't exactly stay neutral.

As for labeling people, I do sympathize with you that you're unrightly being branded; I mean, you're obviously not crazy enough to send threats to VAs. It's not fair that the ones who defend VM in a calm manner are being pegged with the bat-crazy Alt Righters and Reddit ones...but the ones who are against VM aren't all crazy people who care about social justice who are all out to ruin your anime fun either.

And really out of all the VAs to stan for and be all ride or die, Ed Elric is your pick? Laughing

(well not you though. FTR, I prefer subs too. But I did like the FMA dub and the Ouran dub)
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
It's sad too see how this exploded among the fandom. As I said in another thread, this doesn't change my enjoyment of his performances, with FMA being my favorite anime, but being able to separate the person and work also means that I don't see it as an excuse to ignore personal actions.

Yea, I can relate since i do love highschool dxd and despite what happened with scott freeman, it doesnt stop me from enjoying S 1+2.

I can clearly state my bias with the fact i do love harem animes and monica/jamie are in a majority of them, so im more inclined too believe them since im a fan, but why would they risk their careers if they are found lying about this? they get nothing from it.
Talos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
NickPenrhyn wrote:

It wasn't 'a single false allegation'. It was a mountain of credible ones. Can we stop minimalizing and engaging in secondary victimization?

Also, you didn't have to read these articles or post in this thread. But I would certainly prefer that you did, so that you could understand how NOT to handle a situation like this as the accused.

Is the act of questioning accusers "secondary victimization," and are we all guilty until proven innocent? As for the quantity of accusations, agreed - there sure are a lot of them. But hasn't Vic been attending like 3 conventions a month for the past 20 years? If Vic has harmed anyone, then I hope justice prevails. Monica is a credible witness, and I have a lot of respect for her, both as a fan, and as a fellow person. For now everyone should listen, ask questions, and then come to their own conclusions. And no one should be accused of being "part of the problem" for asking honest questions, or asking that folks avoid contributing to mob mentality.

IMO, banning the guy from conventions is fair if that's the decision of the organizers. But taking away the guys's livelyhood as a VA is perhaps going too far (VA's don't interact with other VA's - minimal staff interaction).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Why is it so hard to understand that a private company conducting an internal investigation and deciding to no longer work with a freelancer is a completely separate matter from legal proceedings in a court of law? A lot of the accusations against Vic are either not legally actionable - being too touchy isn't a crime, even if it is creepy and violates people's boundaries, nor is being an asshole to convention staffers - or past the statute of limitations.

It is, however, totally grounds for a company to decide they no longer to wish to maintain a professional relationship. And that's what's happening.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I had a friend who was well connected in the anime convention world about five or six years ago. Even back then I remember her telling me there were a lot of people who were uncomfortable about how he interacted with his fans, too touchy-feely, too many sexual innuendos, though I don't recall any stories about him physically hurting anyone. Still, with his unsavory actions I've been surprised his career kept chugging along with no issues. Guess it finally hit the fan.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I had a friend who was well connected in the anime convention world about five or six years ago. Even back then I remember her telling me there were a lot of people who were uncomfortable about how he interacted with his fans, too touchy-feely, too many sexual innuendos, though I don't recall any stories about him physically hurting anyone. Still, with his unsavory actions I've been surprised his career kept chugging along with no issues. Guess it finally hit the fan.

None of the stories so far jump across the line and dance around on the other side of it. His regularly placing "only" his leg (or squeezed fist..) across the line instead've flagrantly stampeding across it (so to speak), together with his eventual power in the industry, probably inclined many people towards viewing his behavior as borderline and not connecting enough evidential dots to be worth trying to make a serious issue about trying to stop it. That seems like a pretty likely narrative to me.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
NickPenrhyn wrote:

It wasn't 'a single false allegation'. It was a mountain of credible ones. Can we stop minimalizing and engaging in secondary victimization?

Also, you didn't have to read these articles or post in this thread. But I would certainly prefer that you did, so that you could understand how NOT to handle a situation like this as the accused.

Is the act of questioning accusers "secondary victimization," and are we all guilty until proven innocent? As for the quantity of accusations, agreed - there sure are a lot of them. But hasn't Vic been attending like 3 conventions a month for the past 20 years? If Vic has harmed anyone, then I hope justice prevails. Monica is a credible witness, and I have a lot of respect for her, both as a fan, and as a fellow person. For now everyone should listen, ask questions, and then come to their own conclusions. And no one should be accused of being "part of the problem" for asking honest questions, or asking that folks avoid contributing to mob mentality.

IMO, banning the guy from conventions is fair if that's the decision of the organizers. But taking away the guys's livelyhood as a VA is perhaps going too far (VA's don't interact with other VA's - minimal staff interaction).

I'm glad you asked - yes, actually - when people come forward with stories of abuse and are faced with immediate disbelief, downplaying, misrepresentation to defend an accuser, that is secondary victimization.
Quote:
Secondary victimization is the re-traumatization of the sexual assault, abuse, or rape victim through the responses of individuals and institutions. Types of secondary victimization include victim blaming, disbelieving the victim's story, minimizing the severity of the attack, and inappropriate post-assault treatment by medical personnel or other organizations.

There's a different severity to this when so many people with so much to lose have already come out about it and are still being harassed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I've said this already, but I hope to God that some of you never have this happen to someone you care about. Because it's become abundantly clear they wouldn't be able to rely on you for support.
Omegaplib

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'm curious if they will redo his lines for Broly on home video. I assume they will since they don't want it to affect sales. Plus, it would be better since they can keep things consistent if Broly is in Super later.

It's sad to see how this exploded among the fandom. As I said in another thread, this doesn't change my enjoyment of his performances, with FMA being my favorite anime, but being able to separate the person and work also means that I don't see it as an excuse to ignore personal actions.

I'm more worried about who will replace him as Broly. Broly is an upcoming dlc character for the Dragon Ball Fighterz game and if Vic's delusional fans don't calm down by then, the new VA could be harassed a lot as well.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the day the world will move along. No one talks about James Gunn who Disney fired for some insensitive tweets years earlier. They didn't even rehire the guy after the whole Guardians of the Galaxy cast supported him. Even if by chance none of the stuff about Vic was true Funimation will still not re-hire the guy. They will stand by their decision no matter how much I or others disagree with it.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Talos wrote:

I wouldn't worry myself with concern-trolling over Vic's "career". Vic can still work as a VA, nothing's stopping him from recording audiobooks (like that gay werewolf book he recorded) or doing commercials. But he sunk his own anime career by taking a steaming dump where he ate. Even if we're to assume all of the accusations against him are eeeeevil lies from cultural Gorbachovians out to contaminate everyone's adrenal glands or whatever, his peers certainly didn't like working with him. Also, he hasn't had much of a "career" in recent years anyway?

So good-bye to bad trash. I'm glad the anime industry is ridding itself of people who could jeopardize my friends in any capacity.
Roxdep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Well... That's it, that's the nail in the coffin, Vic's career is now officially dead.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Talos wrote:

I wouldn't worry myself with concern-trolling over Vic's "career". Vic can still work as a VA, nothing's stopping him from recording audiobooks (like that gay werewolf book he recorded) or doing commercials. But he sunk his own anime career by taking a steaming dump where he ate. Even if we're to assume all of the accusations against him are eeeeevil lies from cultural Gorbachovians out to contaminate everyone's adrenal glands or whatever, his peers certainly didn't like working with him. Also, he hasn't had much of a "career" in recent years anyway?

So good-bye to bad trash. I'm glad the anime industry is ridding itself of people who could jeopardize my friends in any capacity.

Exactly. He could do audiobooks, he's got his ministry and Christian media is a whole other entity in itself that he could probably get jobs in.

He'll be fine.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, oh well. Just gotta take time away, go to counseling classes and attempt to make it right with the people he's offended.

Hopefully he's got friends in high places, and didn't piss them off either, so he's got a way back in down the road.

This is why you don't become a egotistical narcissist who thinks he can get away with nonsense, even if not all of it would be considered "serious". Also, hope people don't just allow more people to become like Vic.

Now, can everyone focus on the other dubious VAs trying to skirt the crossfire by joining in on the mob?
bones2039

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel bad for Vic. He has proven he ignored years of warnings about how he was conducting himself with others and still continued to act like he did. He can't blame anyone but himself.

Beyond this, if others have acted similarly to him they should be held to the same standard that has now been set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 15