• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will There Ever Be A "Next Cowboy Bebop"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, right time, right place and just the right kind of talent to make it leave an indelible impression on viewers is the only right answer to really give. And honestly, we don't need a next Cowboy Bebop because it would just make the original less unique.

Just because most one to two cour anime series don't stay long in the general fandom memory doesn't mean they are truly forgotten or that they aren't gateways to someone somewhere. Bebop did it's job and did it well. Now, let other series do theirs in their own way.

Also now I'm curious what Justin thinks is the best anime of all time. (The real objective answer is there simply isn't one because there will always be some people to disagree with that view no matter what.)
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nearly everyone hates Boogie Woogie Feng Shui, and personally aside from the funny restaurant scene, I've never cared for Heavy Metal Queen.

"Hate" is a strong word. BWFS is certainly the weakest episode of Bebop, but it's not BAD. It's just not as good as the others. I'm willing to bet that it was still the best episode of any anime that aired that week.

I like Heavy Metal Queen even though it's probably below average for Bebop. The use of a different music genre (which not everyone watching Bebop is going to be a fan of) is a bit jarring, but that's kind of the point.

As far as I'm concerned, Bebop has no bad episodes, just (inevitably) some episodes which are better than others. Not everything can be Pierrot Le Fou.
Mr Kibbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority because Boogie Woogie Feng Shui is one of my favorite Bebop episodes. LOL I didn't realize that its supposedly hated so much.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I find it weird Justin didn't mention its longevity on Cartoon Network in the U.S. as that really seems to have fueled its reverence. (snip)
This. Its run on a national basic cable network really helped people notice it. I remember the brief period of time before it aired on American TV and while it was talked about in anime circles, its following was a lot smaller.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought Bebop came over in 01, it could have come out in the year 2000, but I do know that it did not come over in 99.

I said earlier in the thread that the North American release of the "1st Session" (Volume 1) on DVD had a street date of April 4th, 2000, which is the date given by both Amazon and eBay.

I was, however, forgetting something really obvious about North American anime distributors around two decades ago: they were still releasing anime on VHS back then and, quite often, the VHS release preceded the DVD release.

The first release of Cowboy Bebop in any format in North America was the two episode VHS tape "Asteroid Blues" for which Amazon lists a street date of September 14th, 1999, so Justin was right,

Then again, the Amazon listing for this tape also lists the language as being "English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Tagalog", which would be an impressive feat for a VHS tape. I think it was technically possible to have two different mono audio tracks playing simultaneously on a VHS tape if you split the stereo but most VCR's didn't give you the option of playing only one audio channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nearly everyone hates Boogie Woogie Feng Shui, and personally aside from the funny restaurant scene, I've never cared for Heavy Metal Queen.

"Hate" is a strong word. BWFS is certainly the weakest episode of Bebop, but it's not BAD. It's just not as good as the others. I'm willing to bet that it was still the best episode of any anime that aired that week.

I like Heavy Metal Queen even though it's probably below average for Bebop. The use of a different music genre (which not everyone watching Bebop is going to be a fan of) is a bit jarring, but that's kind of the point.

Same. Like any other show, Cowboy Bebop has some episodes that are weaker than others, of course, but I don't think any of them can actually be called "bad". Not everyone's cup of tea, certainly, but they still do what they do well enough.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
sourpatchthekid wrote:
Toonami returned a year before AoT came out so not quite. However streaming was becoming huge that time and i would say that, Kill La Kill, Sword Art Online and other shows definitely gave anime another huge boost in the West

Yeah, I feel like all three of these really came at the right time to give the US market another large boost one after the other and also to reignite Toonami.

AoT especially, at least from my experience, really came at the perfect time and with those perfectly timed epic cliffhangers week to week to get that big "event series vibe" word of mouth going that really became the next "anime addiction" making waves during that first season. Both streaming with the sub and later on Toonami with the dub. Even though many of us had already gone through the epic ride of the first season, it still felt pretty special to me the night they aired and posted the first trailer for AoT coming to Toonami and taking the opening spot.

LightningCount wrote:
This was a really interesting, enjoyable article, but I wanted to add one thing that may have been implied yet not said. One of Bebop's secrets toward its long-lasting appeal and impact was because despite being so Western, it brought a lot of Eastern sensibilities, particularly in the way it is reflective and contemplative amidst all its crazy/stylish action and comedy. While not as cerebral as a Ghost in the Shell, if you think about the often quiet, gentle ways it handles delving into characters' emotional pasts, with scenes like Faye watching a tape of her younger self or Jet going back to visit the woman who left him, it goes pretty deep into the human condition in a way that leaves room for the viewer to think about it compared to the average Western production--where, even if/when they try these things, they want to either gloss over them or hit you over the head with them. The whole way the series is about a makeshift family and their issues, without ever fully spelling that out, plays into this as well. It does so many subtle things with these themes that you often don't see in Western productions, and truthfully, a lot of anime that have tried to follow in its footsteps focus more on the action or comedy without trying to capture Bebop's contemplative and interpersonal heart. Cowboy Bebop, while not perfect, was just a perfect storm for the medium, and remains such a classic because of its artistry and competent mixture of elements.

Yeah. The way it navigated both halves and the gradual way it delves into those things and themes likely eased new viewers being exposed to anime for the first time, compared to western cartoons at the time, into that touch (even though it's only in some series of course), making them open and perhaps unknowingly hungry for more.

Mr Kibbles wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority because Boogie Woogie Feng Shui is one of my favorite Bebop episodes. LOL I didn't realize that its supposedly hated so much.

Such a fun episode!

FLCLGainax wrote:
This. Its run on a national basic cable network really helped people notice it. I remember the brief period of time before it aired on American TV and while it was talked about in anime circles, its following was a lot smaller.

Yeah, its initial run (and future runs), and the timing of it of course, on CN/AS were a big influence as well.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it the best anime ever made? No, not by a longshot.

Based on...?

The only thing we can discern is our favorite anime, because nobody has seen every anime ever made, and therefore "best anime ever made" is an entirely useless designation.

Cowboy Bebop is still, after a couple decades of anime fandom, my favorite anime. But I agree that it's foolish to chase the "next Bebop" dream, because Bebop is Bebop, and other anime are other anime, and none of them should try to be Bebop.

I was going through a post-Bebop depression, at least as anime was concerned, for a while, but then I saw Fullmetal Alchemist. And Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't Cowboy Bebop, but it was really, really good, and in a different way than Bebop was.It didn't have to imitate the popularity of it, it had its own merits.

If you keep chasing Bebop's shadow, you'll never find anything different that casts it. You end up missing out on a lot of great anime that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Remember when Coyote Ragtime Show was hyped as the Next Bebop? How'd that work out for the folks at ADV?

Was it so much that Coyote Ragtime Show was being hyped as being "the next Cowboy Bebop" by western anime distributors or was it just that Coyote Ragtime Show exactly duplicated Cowboy Bebop's title convention with the first word being an icon of southwestern America and the second word being a musical genre associated with jazz?

There's also the old theory stemming from the story that 60's rock group The Beau Brummels deliberately chose their odd name so that they would be alphabetically next to the Beatles in every record store in the country, where kids would see them.
And until we get a decent plausible show explanation for Coyote's alphabetically suspicious action title, that's the theory I'm sticking with. In answer to your question, no, I don't think it was the Western distributors' desperation to compare themselves to the big standout industry hit.

(But yes, does emphasize that Bebop was the "Default" go-to title to symbolically represent ALL guns-blazing PG-13 action-anime, back in the transitional late-90's, when nobody on either coast could picture a middle-ground between mainstream kids' anime and blood-soaked OAV's.)

Codeanime93 wrote:
Much like Big O, Cowboy Bebop was another show that really only the west embraced and because of that you probably won't see another show like it as it wasn't really successful in Japan so much. To them it was probably just one anime show out of many that happen to catch on outside of their own country. Kind of also like Outlaw Star, Trigun, Vision of Escaflowne.

Yes, Justin missed the Big Trumpeting Jumbo In the Bathroom:
Like the later similar 00's monomaniacal preoccupation with Death Note, the show "looked American", but also, like Death Note, it was one of the shows that noobies could watch on late night for free on Cartoon Network Adult Swim--in those long-ago days before streaming, when searching out 90's-00's anime on hard-to-find DVD was not for the halfhearted, and Broadcast Deals drove the dub market--discover that this stuff actually started to make sense, and tell the world "Hey, world, I'm one-a you new 'Anime otaku' fans! Very Happy " The hard part afterwards was getting them to watch anything else.

You can usually tell which decade a new anime fan became one--and WHERE--if they still sentimentally try to start discussions over "The Big O" , "Trigun" or "Witch Hunter Robin", but it's Bebop that had the lasting shelf value. That was a show that both Noobs and Vets could agree on.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel that people who ask this question don't really understand what made cowboy bebop the hit that it was and/or understand the impact it made at the time.

If you were to make another anime similar to cowboy bebop, it wouldn't make much of (if any) impact (cause you're just mimicking Bebop). And if there was to be an anime that made a similar impact one day, it would likely be very different to Bebop, cause it would be something that hasn't been done before.
KarateCowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:41 pm Reply with quote
The thing about a masterpiece is that it is virtually impossible to do twice. You don't have two swan songs. That's just how it is. It would be nice if we could do that awesomeness all over again. Too bad it's almost impossible.
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
A number of anime have come since Bebop which have been just as good. Most notable for me would be the original Eureka Seven and Samurai Champloo, both of which have one over-arching story with individual episodes being their own thing too. This to me is the magic formula to make an above average amazing series.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought Bebop came over in 01, it could have come out in the year 2000, but I do know that it did not come over in 99.

I said earlier in the thread that the North American release of the "1st Session" (Volume 1) on DVD had a street date of April 4th, 2000, which is the date given by both Amazon and eBay.

I was, however, forgetting something really obvious about North American anime distributors around two decades ago: they were still releasing anime on VHS back then and, quite often, the VHS release preceded the DVD release.

The first release of Cowboy Bebop in any format in North America was the two episode VHS tape "Asteroid Blues" for which Amazon lists a street date of September 14th, 1999, so Justin was right,

Then again, the Amazon listing for this tape also lists the language as being "English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Tagalog", which would be an impressive feat for a VHS tape. I think it was technically possible to have two different mono audio tracks playing simultaneously on a VHS tape if you split the stereo but most VCR's didn't give you the option of playing only one audio channel.
The VHS listing is accurate, except for the multiple languages part. I remember renting the dub version from a local video shop not long after it first came out.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 am; edited 2 times in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Coyote Ragtime Show. I really enjoyed that little show back when I watched it a long time ago. I think it was pretty average overall but really a lot of fun.

penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Is it the best anime ever made? No, not by a longshot.

Based on...?

The only thing we can discern is our favorite anime, because nobody has seen every anime ever made, and therefore "best anime ever made" is an entirely useless designation.

Cowboy Bebop is still, after a couple decades of anime fandom, my favorite anime. But I agree that it's foolish to chase the "next Bebop" dream, because Bebop is Bebop, and other anime are other anime, and none of them should try to be Bebop.

I was going through a post-Bebop depression, at least as anime was concerned, for a while, but then I saw Fullmetal Alchemist. And Fullmetal Alchemist wasn't Cowboy Bebop, but it was really, really good, and in a different way than Bebop was.It didn't have to imitate the popularity of it, it had its own merits.

If you keep chasing Bebop's shadow, you'll never find anything different that casts it. You end up missing out on a lot of great anime that way.

Agreed, also yeah, FMA got me hooked and excited in a similar fashion.
Another show for me that sucked me in like no other like these and was similarly special to me was Last Exile.

E7 also had that thanks to its long run of episodes getting me so attached to the cast and its setting. Edit: Beaten
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
I first watched Cowboy Bebop shortly after coming home from having visited friends of my family for the evening and for no Earthly reason was searching for some anime to watch on basic cable, which was about the best that I could do at the time. I happened luckily upon the last few minutes of the premieres of "Asteroid Blues" and all of "Stray Dog Strut." The day after that, the new school year started and my friends were talking enthusiastically about the thing that I had seen. It went on to be an essential aspect of my later adolescence, keystone of my closest personal relationships and spurred my interest in jazz music.

Now I have no friends, almost the only that music I listen to is that played on the solitary stretch of the underground corridors that I trudge through several times daily and have a drinking problem!*

You can't go home again, not just because the bus company shut down, and there will never be another Cowboy Bebop, because it only really made sense and was only really needed at the time.

*Don't worry, this is an ostensibly comical observation that is only half true; as Tom Waits put it, "I only have a drinking problem when I can’t get a drink."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5