• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Voice Actress Hiroko Konishi Shares Her #MeToo Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hopefully, the Japanese are more sympathetic of victims.

If they were, I doubt they'd even have this problem. Humans in other countries are still humans.

Honestly, I have a really hard time understanding why this sort of thing happens. Forcing/coercing real people into sex, or these weird harem-anime hot springs incidents, is just so... animalistic. The sort of thing you'd expect from, I dunno, wolves. But then, men have gotten really attached to the concept of "alpha males" recently. (Ironically, it turns out wolf packs don't actually have those, so we're less progressive than wild animals, it seems.) Add a dash of sociopathy, and you're good to go.

Good old humanity. Bends the laws of physics to their limits, creating technology that makes actual magic seem unimaginative. Struggles endlessly with the concept of consent, and basic decency.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Hopefully, the Japanese are more sympathetic of victims.

If they were, I doubt they'd even have this problem. Humans in other countries are still humans.

Honestly, I have a really hard time understanding why this sort of thing happens. Forcing/coercing real people into sex, or these weird harem-anime hot springs incidents, is just so... animalistic. The sort of thing you'd expect from, I dunno, wolves. But then, men have gotten really attached to the concept of "alpha males" recently. (Ironically, it turns out wolf packs don't actually have those, so we're less progressive than wild animals, it seems.) Add a dash of sociopathy, and you're good to go.

Good old humanity. Bends the laws of physics to their limits, creating technology that makes actual magic seem unimaginative. Struggles endlessly with the concept of consent, and basic decency.

I'm quite sure the "dominant power" concept has been in the human psyche forever, but having it manifest this way in this day and age is quite sad (but not surprising). I am glad that victims do feel empowered to come forward though, no matter their geographic location. A person has the fundamental right to feel safe where ever they are at any given time, it's just too bad it seems like this is such a difficult thing to achieve.

I would say a lot of it stems from the "that's the way it's always been done" attitude by those in power, and their reluctance to change the behaviors that benefit them at the cost of others' well being, as well as the "I don't want to get involved" indifference of those around them.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Yet another reason why I'd honestly not go to Japan. It's bad enough being a woman in a place where women are just treated like crap (my country), but going there and hearing stories like this, in a place that a bunch of people think is "much more advanced" just gives me the creeps.

Only when people start teaching their sons to respect women and not to treat them as sex toys or incubators for their kids, will we start seeing some kind of change.

This stuff happens all countries not just Japan, if you don't realize that then step out of your bubble.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
In light of this, anyone else want to get rid of their copy of the old Fruits Basket anime? Because I don't think I want any series done by someone who abused and exploited a woman to the point that she gave up her profession all together. I am now immensely glad that the new FB anime will be free of such taint.

Ask for Konishi-san herself. It's a travesty that she had to endue all such suffering to advance her career and have to stay silent about the injustices done to her for years. I hope there will be some form of justice for her now even though I'm cynical enough to also doubt it.

Hello. I'm interested in buying. Please shout me a dm. Thanks.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Well, the thing is, at the end of the day, humans are animals. If you ask me, it is kind of pretentious to believe that we are somehow above our own primal instincts. In fact, by accepting this fact, I think we can come out with much better and more effective ways of reining those instincts in than repression and denial.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
At least the shitbags aren't harassing her and demanding "proof."
ChestPains

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am Reply with quote
Stories like these don't even surprise me anymore. We've had multiple incidents like that in the last ten or so years, and it always seems like nothing comes out of it.
Echoing what others said here, it's really stupid that Japan is extremely advanced in just about everything except basic human decent because of the social hierarchy that's in their culture for a few centuries longer then it should be.

It's particularly worrying when you realize there's probably a ton of modern VAs out there who maybe just got popular after people liked a character from a newer, smaller show, and might be falling into situations like those very soon.

I agree with Konishi on how VAs are sold as idols other than actors, but I don't think it is so much their fault as it is them being naive regarding the predatory means of some agencies or studios. And perhaps that is what resulted in otaku getting upset over marriages or relationships that VAs might have, but that's just a thought and I could be wrong.

Either way I hope the changes come sooner so more young women don't have to go through horrible experiences like this. The industry is hard enough as it is, we don't need a-holes ruining it for people who just wanted to follow their dreams.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am Reply with quote
Sad to hear but not surprising at all. If people thought rampant train groping was the end all be all of sexual harassment/assault issues in Japan...

People are saying Japan is more advanced... what is that based off of? I get it: [insert anime] is awesome. The only take away from that should be Japan makes cool cartoons, not [insert anime] is awesome so Japan must be like the wonderland of joy, tech, and equality!
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I do remember this, there was a thread on r/anime discussing it. Hiroko has been talking about the sexual harassment within the industry on her Twitter for a long time. Powerful people often take advantage of that power, wherever you go.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
At least the shitbags aren't harassing her and demanding "proof."

She's also not calling for anyone to be fired or threatening to take people to court, which is usually when people start to ask for proof and such.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
People are saying Japan is more advanced... what is that based off of? I get it: [insert anime] is awesome. The only take away from that should be Japan makes cool cartoons, not [insert anime] is awesome so Japan must be like the wonderland of joy, tech, and equality!

Japan has great government assisted healthcare, longer than average life spans, low pollution, low crime rate, low homeless rates, great maternity leave packages and worker benefits. Just because sexual harassment exists there, which it does in every country, does not invalidate everything positive about a country. How quickly Americans seem to have forgotten Harvey Weinsetin, Bill Cosby, Kevin Spacey, and numerous other Hollywood elites. It's far safer for a woman to live in Japan than it is in America, statistically speaking.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
ThrowMeOut wrote:

On another note I understand now why Natsuki Takaya hated the director of the first Fruits Basket anime so much. I wonder if he tried to pull some sexist bullshit on her too?

That was definitely my first thought, too. I was shocked when I read his name. I've seen him in interviews and thought he was sweet and mild-natured based on his work. Just goes to show that you can never really know how someone behaves towards the people closest to them.
It's certainly possible, but I have to hope Daichi would have enough sense of professional self-preservation to avoid unseemly actions towards a manga author with substantial control over a project he was working on. (Of course, that requires thinking with the head that's above one's shoulders.) There's a lot more risk and a lot lower power differential than with preying on young, vulnerable voice actresses.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
They really should had thought of a better name - some people have mispronounced the #MeToo phrase as Pound Me Too.

Steve Minecraft wrote:

great maternity leave packages

Majority of J-female workers quit their jobs when they first get pregnant to start a family, while J-fathers don't dare take time off for paternity leave. So nobody really takes advantage of such packages - in practice, it's essentially a paper tiger.
P-name F

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The cause of Hiroko Konishi’s dramatic departure from the seiyuu scene has long been a questionable one due to it occurring when she was at her peak and the way she seemed to be so notoriously blacklisted. It’s been a while since I looked her up but I remember at one point the alleged reason was she got too big for her boots and considered herself above the seiyuu industry, wanting to be a TV actress instead, which led to her being excommunicated from the industry. It doesn’t help that for over the past decade, English information about her would end up being mysteriously airbrushed or removed on places like Wikipedia and TV Tropes. Given what I know of the seiyuu industry, I am inclined to believe Konishi’s claims are true. It would certainly explain why she wasn’t carried over as the voice for Tohru in Fruit’s Basket when Tomokazu Seki, Aya Hisakawa and Ryotarou Okiayu all got to reprise their roles from the 1999 Hana To Yume drama CD.

On the subject of the Saori Hayashi case… The theory on the Japanese side is a particularly troubling one. When the case became known, quite a few Japanese netizens raised the question as to whether Tomokazu Seki, co-founder of Atomic Monkey and highly influential seiyuu with a known reputation for harassment, was involved. (This Japanese article explains the situation and rumours concerning Seki’s involvement in more detail.) Given that this article is the Japanese equivalent of a Buzzfeed article, I’m not going to declare that it’s the certifiable truth or should be taken as proof that Seki was definitely involved. It’s just that it was a suspicion enough people in the Japanese seiyuu fandom had owing to Seki’s reputation.

Seki’s reputation is one that appears to be something of an open secret amongst the seiyuu fandom although it’s quite easy to go about one’s business as a Japanese-speaking fan and never discover it. Basically put, he has a history of abusing his power and publicly bullying or humiliating his (mostly female) co-workers. Whilst his antics seem to be more childish than they are sexual, they’re certainly inappropriate and it appears that such behaviour has resulted in him being held at arm’s length by some people in the anime industry. (For example, Kana Hanazawa allegedly refuses to work with him again and rumour has it that anything that involves them having to share a scene is done in separate takes. It’s no secret that he behaved immaturely during the recording of Psycho Pass as at an event Hanazawa revealed how Seki deliberately made stupid noises in the background whilst Hanazawa and Takahiro Sakurai were recording a climactic scene.)

What’s striking about Seki’s case is how public it is due to his juvenile troll behaviour being part of his persona so there are numerous videos of him stripping and provocatively rubbing himself or making lewd comments about female seiyuu or pressuring them into demeaning situations such as calling a classmate and asking on-air if they want to be sex-friends during a public broadcast. (A more detailed chronicle of some of his exploits can be found here, although it should be taken with a pinch of salt as it’s more of a rumour mill although it corroborates several well-known stories such as him licking sushi and forcing female seiyuu to eat it and getting Asami Imai drunk then leaving a condom filled with potato starch and water by her bedside. Although numerous Japanese fans have criticized his behaviour and referred to it as セクハラ (sexual harassment), as far as I know the only time he’s been held to any account was when he was forced to apologize over forcing a n00b male seiyuu to make a creepy sexual comment about Rina Hidaka at a live event in 2017.

I’m still a fan of his work but there’s always a certain grimness seeing his name in a cast nowadays and wondering about the female co-stars. Great actor, not so great human being.

(Mods, if you feel this is too inflammatory or off-topic, please go ahead and delete this. I am aware this is a potential can of worms and don’t want to give you any additional headaches.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
ThrowMeOut wrote:

On another note I understand now why Natsuki Takaya hated the director of the first Fruits Basket anime so much. I wonder if he tried to pull some sexist bullshit on her too?

That was definitely my first thought, too. I was shocked when I read his name. I've seen him in interviews and thought he was sweet and mild-natured based on his work. Just goes to show that you can never really know how someone behaves towards the people closest to them.
It's certainly possible, but I have to hope Daichi would have enough sense of professional self-preservation to avoid unseemly actions towards a manga author with substantial control over a project he was working on. (Of course, that requires thinking with the head that's above one's shoulders.) There's a lot more risk and a lot lower power differential than with preying on young, vulnerable voice actresses.

I wasn't even implying that he harassed her directly, just that she would have been upset at how he treated female seiyuu. If I were a manga creator and I heard creepy stories about the director of an anime based on my work, I'd be upset about it.
Jonesy974

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
Phraze wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
Phraze wrote:
I'm kinda glad the MeToo movement is helping flush out the dark secrets in the entertainment industry, but also worried if it goes too far. At least, it's good to know who to avoid or support. I thought Hiroko Konishi wasn't interested in voice acting, since she's only in old anime.. Turns out she had it rough. I wonder if other lesser-known seiyuu have similar stories.

she was pretty big in the late 90's(she even voiced T.K in the first Digimon season).She got plenty of big roles despite a relatively short career and then she suddenly quit around 2002 with Bridget in Guilty Gear XX being her last voice-work and is now a full time singer.
Also,quite a coincidence that she was replaced by Yui Horie(who was becoming big around that time.)in two series directed by the guy she had issues with,huh?

Ah, now I remember where I noticed her.. Digimon. Was looking for female seiyuu who voiced young male characters, like with Naruto/Kuroshitsuji. They usually go viral and land VA roles easily, perfect when looking for more anime. Hmm.. I hope Yui Horie wasn't subject to manipulation too. Coincidence much.

yea, really makes you wonder if Yui Horie slept her way to popularity with the whole "pillow trade" too considering how after she took over the fruits basket role, worked with the guy who supposedly did this shit, and then she pretty much exploded in popularity. When that many coincidences line up, it's sad to say it's probably more than just coincidence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4