• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Voice Actress Hiroko Konishi Shares Her #MeToo Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:02 am Reply with quote
Jonesy974 wrote:
yea, really makes you wonder if Yui Horie slept her way to popularity with the whole "pillow trade" too considering how after she took over the fruits basket role, worked with the guy who supposedly did this shit, and then she pretty much exploded in popularity. When that many coincidences line up, it's sad to say it's probably more than just coincidence.

I suppose it's impossible to prove a negative, but consider that Yui Horie had already had a number of "breakout" roles before Fruits Basket, like Haruka in Kurogane Communication (where she also sang the OP/ED), Multi in To Heart*, Naru in Love Hina, and Sakuya in Sister Princess. Not to mention reasonably significant roles in Pretear, Argentosoma, Arc the Lad, Infinite Ryvius, Photon, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, and Tales of Eternia, all of which aired before Summer '01. Granted, Horie did start getting more work after FB, but her career was already on an upward trajectory by that point. Plus, there was simply more work available once the early/mid-00s anime boom took off, compared to the amount being made in 1997-2000.

*I'd always heard that Multi the maid robot was Horie's major star-making role; with To Heart being the first major "based on dating sim" hit, it also benefited Ayako Kawasumi (childhood friend Akari Kamigishi) and her career in the same fashion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4