• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Dub for Kämpfer Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:06 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I notice that "Kampfer's" finally going to get an English dub. Good. This'll be an interesting one that's for sure. I think that it's also long past time that Sentai did this. To me,they should have done this a loooong time ago. But hey. In my opinion,it's better late than never. This may not be the best anime out there but who knows? The dub might improve it a little. I hope it comes out soon. Smile

The Bluray comes out on May 28th, so a little less than four months.
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I was on the fence on whether or not to pick up a copy online with just the subbed version, but I'm glad that one of Sentai's older titles is finally getting a dub. Now I think I'll wait for it to come out.

Now if only Sentai would get the budget to dub the rest of the Higurashi anime they acquired, but I doubt that'll ever happen given the first season's lackluster dub under Geneon. One can only dream...
RealityEX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's been like forever since I watched this anime.

Hope they do the dub justice Smile
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
Mixed feelings. On one hand, I am one of the greatest lovers of gender benders in the world(self-proclaimed). On the other hand, this is the anime that taught me that many, if not most, male-to-female gender bender anime will be over-sexualzed, which I don't care for.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Umm, no.

If you ask me Josh Grelle just ISN'T Rito in my opinion. I really can't think of any male VA in Houston, Texas (Sentai Filmworks' studio location) that can properly fit Rito's character.them without their help.

Ummm, YES. I'm not saying it HAS to be Josh; it was just a suggestion. Pretty much any male VA that could do a mid to mid-high pitched voice will do for Rito. Bottom line, he has to sound LIKE A TEENAGE GUY, which is NOT the case in the frankly miscast as hell JP version. Akeno Watanabe is an awful Rito; the only time she fits the character is when he genderbends into Riko.

Sentai is now given an opportunity to fix that blemish so that TLR is truly enjoyable this time around. What's the point in having a harem if the main guy doesn't even sound like one? Just wreaks of lesbian undertones, if you ask me. This ain't no yuri. It's harem, yo.

Also, in reply to whoever said Sentai is not gonna credit the VAs with their actual names with these shows - have y'all forgotten about Demon King Daimao?

Lastly, I noticed that someone else mentioned the Ranma dub earlier on..... Y'know what? Sarah Strange is a horrible male Ranma. Richard Ian Cox fits FAR BETTER. What's the point in having two different voices for a genderbender if they're BOTH FEMALE? Who thought that was a good idea? I'm so glad that's fixed later on, but Strange is strange (Get it? lmao). No excuse for that.

Crossing fingers that Sentai gets it right for TLR and Kampfer this time around; because they done SCREWED UP with UQ Holder, and I'm still VERY salty about that. Brittney Karbowski.... as a guy? Yeah, no. Stop casting feminine sounding female VAs as guys. No, no, no. Utilize tenor VAs and do the right thing.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:

Umm, no.

If you ask me Josh Grelle just ISN'T Rito in my opinion. I really can't think of any male VA in Houston, Texas (Sentai Filmworks' studio location) that can properly fit Rito's character.

Ummm, YES. I'm not saying it HAS to be Josh; it was just a suggestion. Pretty much any male VA that could do a mid to mid-high pitched voice will do for Rito. Bottom line, he has to sound LIKE A TEENAGE GUY, which is NOT the case in the frankly miscast as hell JP version. Akeno Watanabe is an awful Rito; the only time she fits the character is when he genderbends into Riko.

Sentai is now given an opportunity to fix that blemish so that TLR is truly enjoyable this time around. What's the point in having a harem if the main guy doesn't even sound like one? Just wreaks of lesbian undertones, if you ask me. This ain't no yuri. It's harem, yo.

Also, in reply to whoever said Sentai is not gonna credit the VAs with their actual names with these shows - have y'all forgotten about Demon King Daimao?

Lastly, I noticed that someone else mentioned the Ranma dub earlier on..... Y'know what? Sarah Strange is a horrible male Ranma. Richard Ian Cox fits FAR BETTER. What's the point in having two different voices for a genderbender if they're BOTH FEMALE? Who thought that was a good idea? I'm so glad that's fixed later on, but Strange is strange (Get it? lmao). No excuse for that.

Crossing fingers that Sentai gets it right for TLR and Kampfer this time around; because they done SCREWED UP with UQ Holder, and I'm still VERY salty about that. Brittney Karbowski.... as a guy? Yeah, no. Stop casting feminine sounding female VAs as guys. No, no, no. Utilize tenor VAs and do the right thing.

I really don't like how you just took what I said and just throw it in my face. And you completely ignored my casting idea of Josh Grelle as Jae-Jin in Brawling GO!.

In the case of Ranma, I always hated Sarah Strange playing the male part of that character despite originally voiced by a male in the Japanese version. They decided to go with that casting for that character in that anime but when it comes to something like DBZ, Goku in his adult form had to remain being voiced by a woman. All these casting decisions seem really confusing and questionable to me.

As for TLR, the reason I have a hard time imagining a male voice over Rito is most likely because I watched the anime before the manga which I now realize was a HUGE MISTAKE. In fact I can't help but find the first season of TLR so incredibly inferior to the manga in so many ways. Because of that I can't say I'm all that excited for the dub (and I'm sure Sentai will make it sound as entertaining as possible). But the thing is if they can manage to pull it off, then they might hopefully greenlight dubs for the other seasons starting with Motto To Love-Ru which I AM WAY MORE EXCITED FOR. Any way, if there was one male VA from Sentai that I had to choose, I would go with Clint Bickham after an amazing job he's done voicing the male MC of harem anime series like The Ambition of Oda Nobuna and NAKAIMO: My Sister Is Among Them plus he's younger than Josh Grelle by comparison. Either that or Sentai casts a male voice who sounds fresh, younger, and a much better voice for Rito than anything they could have imagined.

P.S.: I recently finished watching the mock-dub of KAMPFER by MasakoX and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Maybe whoever working on the Sentai dub will watch that and bring some level of its funniness to the new upcoming dub (minus the references of course 'cause Sentai sure as hell won't let them.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3