• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Twitter User Compares Latest Yōkai Ningen Bem Designs to Previous Installments

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
When I think of Yokai Ningen Bem, I mostly think about the theme song being sung at karaoke by the girls in KareKano.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Man the only one who stayed consistent is Bem compared to the other 2 who had most drastic change between now and most recent one
Neohybrid_kai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
When I think of Yokai Ningen Bem, I mostly think about the theme song being sung at karaoke by the girls in KareKano.

Me too! That scene is hilarious. I don't even what Yokai Ningen Bem is at that time, I just thought its a pretty funny song.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Same for myself as well, somehow that was a very striking scene that is quite memorable.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:34 am Reply with quote
I figured, 2019!Bem looks less like his 1968 and 1982 incarnations.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
I can see why this caused a bit of conversation in Japan since the production committee did a Neko Musume level redesign for all the main characters in Bem. I think this was a needed change for 2019 and at least in the western market the 2006 version of Bem didn't even manage to get an English release. The old character designs would have depended on nostalgia which can somewhat work if it is a huge franchise like Gegege no Kitarō but for Bem they needed it to be competitive with modern anime shows.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I can see why this caused a bit of conversation in Japan since the production committee did a Neko Musume level redesign for all the main characters in Bem. I think this was a needed change for 2019 and at least in the western market the 2006 version of Bem didn't even manage to get an English release. The old character designs would have depended on nostalgia which can somewhat work if it is a huge franchise like Gegege no Kitarō but for Bem they needed it to be competitive with modern anime shows.

It actually did. Crackle streamed the English dub for a few years.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
It actually did. Crackle streamed the English dub for a few years.

I did not know that and I only did a quick search on the internet. After looking more carefully I did find some articles which mention that Animax did an English dub for the 2006 show but I can't find it on any of the major video streaming services. It looks like either it is region restricted or the license that Animax bought might have expired.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1