• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Maria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:25 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
If I can be 100% honest, I don't really believe that. I think that you saying that in particular is a little ironic, especially in a lot of your responses to the thread so far.

If you're an #Istandwithvic supporter, you're very less likely to believe much. Despite the testimonies, despite the investigation (which doesn't owe the public/fans ANYTHING), there hasn't been anything that has deterred doubt on Vic with hardcore supporters, and I really doubt they ever saw the #KickVic supporters as anything but a nuisance that would "do anything to ruin Vic's life."

And again, the internal investigation was done, and Vic's fate was already done before this post was created (and as ZodiacBeast stated, an investigation is done seriously, so even with this one person to disbelieve everyone else is a little weird), so it wouldn't have any bearing on his professional work status.

It does not matter if Vic's already been dropped. You still investigate crimes and allegations. You don't close the case of an arson just because finding the arsonist won't bring back the ruined property.

This is the chance for #KickVic to prove this is truly about routing people from the industry who abuse their power and harm other people, and not just a vendetta of like-minded people who just hate Vic Mignogna. Samantha Inoue-Harte has abused her power and position within the industry to interfered with an investigation and had her colleagues spread her misinformation with intent to deceive and discredit opposing witnesses. Hold your own accountable.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:07 am Reply with quote
for reference, here is the extent of Samantha Inoue-Hart's "power and position"

person#17724
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
for reference, here is the extent of Samantha Inoue-Hart's "power and position"

person#17724

Exactly. There is nothing to remove her from, as she hasn’t had a role at a dubbing studio in years.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't done so yet, but I'm going to go through this thread and remove speculation about who's who from the i09 article. First, it's off topic. Second, the person asked not to give their real name in the article so speculation is potentially outing someone. If people want to step forward later and admit to being someone, then they have the right to do so. But please leave speculation out of these forums.

EDIT: Okay, I've edited some posts to remove speculation. I did not leave a note in these posts because that could be telling in itself. But if you notice your post has been edited and you wonder why, this is why.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
Sailor Maria wrote:

It does not matter if Vic's already been dropped. You still investigate crimes and allegations. You don't close the case of an arson just because finding the arsonist won't bring back the ruined property.

?????????

Are we talking about the same thing, because I don't really think we are anymore.

Sailor Maria wrote:

This is the chance for #KickVic to prove this is truly about routing people from the industry who abuse their power and harm other people, and not just a vendetta of like-minded people who just hate Vic Mignogna. Samantha Inoue-Harte has abused her power and position within the industry to interfered with an investigation and had her colleagues spread her misinformation with intent to deceive and discredit opposing witnesses. Hold your own accountable.

Prove it to who, exactly? You?
I could say the same thing about plenty of the #IstandwithVic supporters who literally have been harassing people I know personally who have been speaking out against him. And I mean straight up, nasty bullying.

But you know what? I don't. Because I know there are plenty of supporters who believe he is innocent who don't resort to that kind of behavior. Opinions aside, I didn't really care to ride on the hashtag on #kickvic or #Istandwithvic. I already stated it's already hard for both parties.

She has already been found out to spread misinformation about the door. I initially saw the post and actually had my reservations about it, I didn't really need anyone to tell me otherwise (I've been offline for a week, and it was a friend that showed me the post via dm). Then it was confirmed to be false. People who shared her original statements had already clarified their error. Samantha isn't "my own." She is her own person and is accountable for her own actions. Just like Vic is. That's it.

I don't really know what what you deem as penance for a facebook post but kindly understand that it ain't that black and white.

Since this post has veered waay off topic [Sorry admins :c ] This is the last thing I'm going to say about it.

Anyway, I'm very leery about Vic's apology. Maybe he is genuine, but I highly doubt it. Men who have that pattern of behavior don't really believe that they did anything wrong, so I just think he'll disappear for a while and then come back and try again.

He may come back under a pseudonym but going to cons are out. I just don't see anything good that would come of it.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
If he were genuine, he wouldn't have leaned on the counseling, on praying on it. He would display a fuller understanding of what he did and why that isn't going to be enough.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I understand, which is why I said "maybe." Do I believe it? No, but it doesn't mean he may change how he acts in the future. There's always a possibility for change no matter how skeptical I am about it. Very Happy
Phraze

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Phraze wrote:
Taking Samantha's story out of equation, for reasonable doubt, I think it's still safe to say Sony was involved and investigated. Announcing internal investigations was unnecessary from Funimation, unless it was serious like an outside (parent) company being involved.

According to Samandtha's own words she was heavily involved in the investigation, and she was the person who leaked e-mails and stuff like saying Vic harassed a Japanese idol in order to provide "proof" to people asking. Although given what she did, it's a safe bet to say the Japanese idol thing never happened, if she even was involved with the investigation to begin with. But it would definitely be nice to know if someone who has been outed as untrustworthy was involved with the investigation.

She mentioned it was thorough with specific questions, and she was told things matched. That sounds to me like someone in questioning. Someone in questioning can't be an investigator as well(?) Plus, I don't see a point in an investigator coming forward if Funimation's statement never gave details. Add to that, she's only a VA on contract (creds to another post).

I've also stated she's not yet considered untrustworthy, with reasons. It's just a paragraph above this one you quoted.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
On the plus side over $35,000 has been raised for Vic's legal options. Vic has released a statement on his twitter account confirming the GoFundMe, and he confirmed hiring a law firm. $100,000 soon and beyond! Cool
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
On the plus side over $35,000 has been raised for Vic's legal options. Vic has released a statement on his twitter account confirming the GoFundMe, and he confirmed hiring a law firm. $100,000 soon and beyond! Cool

If there's people out there willing to foot the bill, more power to them. I just hope that they all realise that gofundme isn't the type of site where you have to reach the goal in order to get the funds. Once you've pledged, that money will end up being taken.

Had a look and it's now at over $36.5k, and it's only been up for a couple of days. Hopefully the funds will be used in the way the person has stated they will be used.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:

Vic has very little legal options. He might be able to recover some sort of severance, or back pay for any projects he had a contract with, but that's about it. The idea floating around the heads of deluded youtubers and left over Vic standers, is that he is going to sue ANN and i09 and anyone else. That's not likely by now. He's finished. The most he can do now is cover his own butt.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:

Vic has very little legal options. He might be able to recover some sort of severance, or back pay for any projects he had a contract with, but that's about it. The idea floating around the heads of deluded youtubers and left over Vic standers, is that he is going to sue ANN and i09 and anyone else. That's not likely by now. He's finished. The most he can do now is cover his own butt.

he's on record with the i09 story anyway. So let him try and sue; he'll lose.
beyondashadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks Funimation's PR (or lack thereof) during this ordeal made matters significantly worse?
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
beyondashadow wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Funimation's PR (or lack thereof) during this ordeal made matters significantly worse?

Well...it's kind of hard to do PR when every other tweet is 'BOYCOTT FUNIMATION OR HIRE VIC/FIRE MONICA/JAMIE/EVERYONE WHO DOESN"T KISS VIC's BUTT'
beyondashadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GoddyNee wrote:
beyondashadow wrote:

Well...it's kind of hard to do PR when every other tweet is 'BOYCOTT FUNIMATION OR HIRE VIC/FIRE MONICA/JAMIE/EVERYONE WHO DOESN"T KISS VIC's BUTT'

For starters, they could've instructed their employees to *not* go off on social media while their internal investigation was still ongoing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23