• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 500 Days of Summer's Marc Webb Directs Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The guy who did The Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2?

Oh dear god...
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
The guy who did The Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2?

Oh dear god...

To be fair, spiderman is more action than romance.
Disclaimer: I haven't seen 500 d's of summer so I dont know how it compares to your name when it comes to his directing.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I haven't seen 500 Days of Summer, but I didn't like The Amazing Spider-Man movies, though to be fair most of that series' problems were caused by Sony Pictures, and the Peter-Gwen relationship was the highlight of those movies so maybe Webb could translate the relationship between Taki and Mitsuha (I wonder if they will still be Japanese) into live-action in a believable way. But still, I don't have much confidence about this project.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
Oh dear god...

The exact words that come to mind every time I read a headline about a Hollywood adaptation of an anime title.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
(I wonder if they will still be Japanese)

It said in the article that the leads will be a Native American girl and a guy from Chicago.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint.

That makes a lot of sense. Your Name's premise is universal, so why retain the Japanese setting when you can just Westernize it and have more freedom to put your spin on the source material?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Amazing Spider-man (really 2 more than 1) wasn't perfect but on the other hand Peter and Gwen's relationship is EASILY the best romance in any of the live-action superhero films I can think of. So for a movie that's primarily focused on romance this is hardly a negative.
NOGI48

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Why a Native American girl and some guy in Chicago? Wouldn't be better if they had a Amish girl living in Pennsylvania and a guy in NYC? That's what I thought the story will be.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
Why a Native American girl and some guy in Chicago? Wouldn't be better if they had a Amish girl living in Pennsylvania and a guy in NYC? That's what I thought the story will be.

I feel like they wanted some kind of cultural difference that can incorporate something close in nature to the “spit sake” ...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NOGI48 wrote:
Likely because Shintoism is a polytheistic religion and Amish Christianity is monotheistic.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
As a man who doesn't like chick flicks I can confirm that 500 Days of Summer is amazeballs and Your Name Is right up Mark Webb's alley. I thought it was odd at first about a man from Chicago and a native American but it makes sense. With the native American culture and believing in many gods it should be an easily translation of the religious themes in the original Your Name. I guess you cant claim white washing since they are going to have diversity in the movie. Did y'all actually think they were going to have an all Asian cast in a movie taking place in America?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Two questions come to mind immediately:

1. What nation is she?
  2. If it's a real nation, are they consulting members of that nation and taking their input seriously?
  3. If it's a fictional one, are they consulting members of MULTIPLE Indian nations and taking their input REALLY, REALLY seriously?

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I guess you cant claim white washing since they are going to have diversity in the movie.

Indeed.

xchampion also wrote:
Did y'all actually think they were going to have an all Asian cast in a movie taking place in America?

Hardcore fans of the movie probably thought so.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west. Though I do wish someone in the UK or Hollywood would fund a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood movie or hell Battle Tendency can be done too. I mean if they really want to do some live action anime movie. Though I'm sure they probably would mess those up too somehow.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Nothing about this sounds like a good idea
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4