• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 500 Days of Summer's Marc Webb Directs Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west. Though I do wish someone in the UK or Hollywood would fund a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood movie or hell Battle Tendency can be done too. Though I'm sure they probably would mess those up too somehow.

While the answer is anime fans are picky bastard and they will trash any adaptation of their favorite anime if it isn't perfect with no alterations. That is quite impossible with live action films., especially in Hollywood when they want to put their own spin ton it. I on the other hand if I wanted a frame by frame adaptation I would just watch the original.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west. Though I do wish someone in the UK or Hollywood would fund a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood movie or hell Battle Tendency can be done too. Though I'm sure they probably would mess those up too somehow.

While the answer is anime fans are picky bastard and they will trash any adaptation of their favorite anime if it isn't perfect with no alterations. That is quite impossible with live action films., especially in Hollywood when they want to put their own spin ton it. I on the other hand if I wanted a frame by frame adaptation I would just watch the original.

Depends on the people working on it I guess. Just if we can try to strive for not Dragonball: Evolution or that Fist of the North Star movie with Gary Daniels.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Heisserer earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint."

But....why?

Last edited by kinghumanity on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Heisserer earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint."

But....why?

$$$$$$$$$$

I never understood the fetish of turning already-popular properties into live-action movies. The original is already good and seen by millions upon millions of people. Who is this for?
Rob49152

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 am Reply with quote
frankly the reason for the dumpster fire of the spiderman movies was more to do with Sony interfering to build a universe to compete with Marvel and forgetting to make a good movie.

My biggest issue is more with the choice of Bad-Reboot and JJ Abrams involvement. He's just slightly less worse than Michael Bay. More lensflare less explosions.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
Marc Webb's films have decreased in quality as he has progressed in his career. From (500) Days of Summer to TASM to TASM2 to Gifted (the latter of which I haven't seen to be honest), one can only presume that Webb's career will pull an Ice Age and deliver an even worse product.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 am Reply with quote
But Why?? ^^Actar hit it, THATs why and no other reason. Sad that Hollywood is so risk adverse and unoriginal that they look to "adapting" a massively popular foreign film and on top of that, not understanding why it was so. Boldly predicting this will be a massive flop.

Better if they had changed the era and had it be the "legend" of a boy in a frontier town in the 1850's who kept waking up as a plains indian girl and setting out to find her only to find the tribe wiped out by the Cavalry Regiment. Years later, the boy encounters an old native american shaman survivor of the massacre in town who senses his destiny and through magic transports him back into the girl's body so he can warn the tribe that the Cavalry is coming. As a young man, he travels to a neighboring town where he keeps seeing a hauntingly familiar young native american maiden and finally asks her native american name...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
Let’s all look at it this way. This is clearly a movie made for people who don’t like anime or Asian people. I say let ‘em have it. We all appreciate the source material so let’s make it a point to share it amongst our friends and loved ones whilst the masses consume the white bread version they so desire.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:03 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

I never understood the fetish of turning already-popular properties into live-action movies. The original is already good and seen by millions upon millions of people. Who is this for?

For the other hundreds of millions of people who don't watch animation.

Just like the Marvel movies are for the other hundreds of millions of people who don't read comics. (Comics fans asked the very same question you asked, when the Marvel movies started.) And it all worked out - the comics fans still have their comics; the rest of the world have their Marvel Universe movies.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Better if they had changed the era and had it be the "legend" of a boy in a frontier town in the 1850's who kept waking up as a plains indian girl and setting out to find her only to find the tribe wiped out by the Cavalry Regiment.

Oh heck no - period movies are out of style nowadays. Nobody's gonna go see it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
As a man who doesn't like chick flicks I can confirm that 500 Days of Summer is amazeballs and Your Name Is right up Mark Webb's alley.

I second this, on all counts. Hell, it's not the type of movie I usually go for, but 500 Days of Summer is actually one of my favourite movies. Hell, I own it on disc.

I'm looking forward to this, but I believe the only real similarity it will have with the original anime is the body swapping.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
500 Days of Summer is probably one of the best and most realistic romantic movies I have seen.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I guess you cant claim white washing since they are going to have diversity in the movie.

Indeed.

xchampion also wrote:
Did y'all actually think they were going to have an all Asian cast in a movie taking place in America?

Hardcore fans of the movie probably thought so.

Perhaps, but from the article:

Quote:

I think that definitively ends any claims that casting Western actors in the film is whitewashing it.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
500 Days of Summer (his best film) has a gimmicky ending, studio meddling killed Amazing 2 and no one watched his apparently bad 5th film but Webb more or less knows his stuff. I get why he was picked. The remake could turn out better than the just fine anime blockbuster but it´s the writer Eric Heisserer who will make or break this one. Only his very strong Arrival script (it´s better than the book) is worth the paper it´s on.

Makoto Shinkai can direct and his films all look nice and that´s about it for me. The next Miyazaki he ain´t. Even Gorō Miyazaki has more overall talent in my eyes. Shinkai´s script are overall mediocre and his non-romances especially rub me the wrong way. Those don´t fly in Hollywood, so expect the most changes there. To be fair, Children Who Chase Lost Voices is the only one of his work´s i can´t recommend. If he only started adapting the scripts of other people...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Heisserer earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said.

That made me lol. A quote you can apply anytime something is officially/legally adapted by foreigners. If they wanted a 100% domestic product then they wouldn't have licensed it to foreigners.

Only on the American-English speaking internet do they expect like the Bollywood version of Cinderella to have zero Bollywood people in it and be 100% European because that's what the source material was and claim that anything less is clear cut racism.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
Hollywood was able to remake Il Mare, a South-Korean film with a similar premise, so why not?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4