• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 500 Days of Summer's Marc Webb Directs Hollywood Remake of Makoto Shinkai's your name.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 am Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
xchampion wrote:
I guess you cant claim white washing since they are going to have diversity in the movie.

Indeed.

xchampion also wrote:
Did y'all actually think they were going to have an all Asian cast in a movie taking place in America?

Hardcore fans of the movie probably thought so.

I find this attitude depressing because there are Asian dominated communities within America, so why wouldn't this be possible? There are cities with Chinatowns or little Tokyos. There are also communities that come together within the greater community, like native language schools, or even things like study groups (though not Indian, I've had the privilege of being invited to an all Indian study group for example.) It's depressing to me because people think this thing is not possible within America, and they're very wrong, and so it feels like Asian representation in Hollywood will always be few and far between. Of course though, realistically I know that it's never going to happen in the foreseeable future, so I knew as soon as they said Your Name would be in America, of course it would not be like this. But it pains me that I can always make this assumption.

But, for what it is worth, I'm glad they decided to go with a different type of diversity. I just hope they do right by Native Americans, and make sure to do the right due diligence and research.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:35 am Reply with quote
assuming the Native American is away from technology enough(as in doesn't have a cell phone) I think this adaptation might address the original film's biggest flaw.
That aside, I don't see much reason to watch it since I doubt the story will be that different.
I don't remember if this article stated whether the Native American was a boy or girl, but I'd like this story a lot more if the Native American was the boy. A boy in a girl's body while living in the city sounds a lot more intriguing than a girl in a boy's body in a city.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Animorphimagi wrote:
I don't remember if this article stated whether the Native American was a boy or girl, but I'd like this story a lot more if the Native American was the boy.

The Native American is going to be a girl.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:33 pm Reply with quote
When are they going to realize that adapting an anime into a live-action remake doesn't ever work?
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I never understood the fetish of turning already-popular properties into live-action movies. The original is already good and seen by millions upon millions of people. Who is this for?

The other millions and millions of people who don't like cartoons...

LokiReed wrote:
When are they going to realize that adapting an anime into a live-action remake doesn't ever work?

But it arguably has worked (commercial success notwithstanding). Besides, as far as anime adaptations go, there's nothing in Your Name that couldn't work in live action. And its story isn't anything that can't be relatable anywhere.

In fact the whole schtick of body switcharoo movies is nothing new to Hollywood.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Why couldn't we keep them Japanese? Taki could've been a Japanese-American in SF and Mitsuha still in Japan, etc.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
This movie could go either way. The people behind it have made both brilliant, classic films and terrible, bury-and-forget films.

I've personally stopped being bothered by adaptations. I actually like seeing how different cultures put their personal spins on the same story, and feel it brings the world closer together by sharing their media. Also, whether the Your Name adaptation is good or bad, it'll get people curious about the original and anime in general, so that's cool.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
God this sounds awful
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west. Though I do wish someone in the UK or Hollywood would fund a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood movie or hell Battle Tendency can be done too. I mean if they really want to do some live action anime movie. Though I'm sure they probably would mess those up too somehow.

It's hard to mess up something that's not that good and has had an OVA, an animated adaptation, and a live action adaptation that weren't well liked. The Phantom Blood movie apparently being so reviled it's never been released on home video.

Rob49152 wrote:
frankly the reason for the dumpster fire of the spiderman movies was more to do with Sony interfering to build a universe to compete with Marvel and forgetting to make a good movie.

Was it their decision to kill off Gwen,have Harry become the Green Goblin by the end of the film (eventhough we already saw this in Spider-Man 3 which I don't even think a full decade had passed in between), weirdly reveal Peter's father survived the plane crash but remove it from the final film?
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... I'm having a bit of a problem with this. Native Americans and their culture are one of the most unfortunate recipients of racial stereotyping in the movies, so surely they need to be treated with the utmost respect and care when appropriating their culture for narratives. To my mind, by taking bubbly, wanna-be metropolitan Mitsuha, her corrupt and bureaucratic father and winsome, folktale-spouting granny, and translating all three into Native Americans will surely make them all fit the most horribly trite stereotypes without even trying.

I'm sure the writer is a super-nice dude, and he's got a bit of a buzz, hasn't he? But I can't see any evidence that he's Native American himself, and although I'm the first person to say you can write about other cultures, of course you can, but you've got to be careful about your motivations driving the choices you make. The risk is you can make arbitrary and therefore potentially insulting decisions without even realising, and this film is making the Mitsuha character ethnically distinct because of a similarity with the original character which seems pretty superficial. And because of that, surely the biggest risk is this film will blunder into a PR black hole and any other potential merits of the film will be lost in the ensuing complaints. And that makes it a non-starter in my book.

On a plus note, Eric Heisserer grew up in the middle of tornado alley, so he might have an interesting take on growing up with the perpetual shadow of natural disaster hanging over you.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Why couldn't we keep them Japanese? Taki could've been a Japanese-American in SF and Mitsuha still in Japan, etc.

The article answers your own question.

Quote:
Heisserer earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint."

Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west. Though I do wish someone in the UK or Hollywood would fund a JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood movie or hell Battle Tendency can be done too. I mean if they really want to do some live action anime movie. Though I'm sure they probably would mess those up too somehow.

It's hard to mess up something that's not that good and has had an OVA, an animated adaptation, and a live action adaptation that weren't well liked. The Phantom Blood movie apparently being so reviled it's never been released on home video.

The OVA was for Stardust Crusaders though. I do know about the reviled Phantom Blood animated movie that hasn't been seen since. I wouldn't say the 2012 TV series was not well liked, but my point was that it was actually feasible to do a cheesy live action adaptation of it more than this. Really my comment was a sarcastic joke if anything as I would really not wish more live action anime adaptations in the world.
Yes, Japan did try to live action the 4th part and it was pretty much a failure.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Quote:
"They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint.

That makes a lot of sense. Your Name's premise is universal, so why retain the Japanese setting when you can just Westernize it and have more freedom to put your spin on the source material?
Only problem is, a lot of what makes the film the way it is is the background. If they can get a similar thing with the premise they are going for (native american), it might be okay, but there are a lot of elements that may hamper it, such as location and such. They may be able to work around it, but I'm kinda not holding my breath. The body swap premise may be universal (and has been done so often) but the core of the story is rooted in Shinto and Japanese traditions, it may be a bit hard to get the same charm...
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
I never quite understand this need to turn popular anime into live action movies in the west.

The Japanese make live action movies of their anime all the time. And 99.9999% of it is utter shit. Go watch some of those films and weep.
Whatever faults Hollywood may have at least they drop the big bucks to make these films. And every once in a while you do get a good enough adaptation.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
he Japanese make live action movies of their anime all the time. And 99.9999% of it is utter shit. Go watch some of those films and weep.
Whatever faults Hollywood may have at least they drop the big bucks to make these films. And every once in a while you do get a good enough adaptation.

Japan has made some excellent adaptions. Kenshin, Gintama, Chihayafuru, Death Note, and Bleach come to mind, which is more than I can say for Hollywood's track record. The only one I ever see people praise is Speed Racer, but those people are probably viewing it through the lens of Speed Racer being an overly cheesy and poorly dubbed pop-culture joke that has become a staple in American parody. If you compare it to the actual original Mach Go Go Go TV anime, it has almost nothing in common with it.

jdnation wrote:
But it arguably has worked (commercial success notwithstanding). Besides, as far as anime adaptations go, there's nothing in Your Name that couldn't work in live action. And its story isn't anything that can't be relatable anywhere

The borderline offensive Native America "mysticism" change is already showing us they had to change quite a bit for the story to make sense in an American context since Shinto is something exclusively Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4