• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Which forgotten or underappreciated manga do you think deserve a big splashy omnib

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkestabsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This is a very long shot, but a translated version of Magic Kaito. I’d love to read a nice translation of this series one day, even if it’s a 1980’s era manga with a total of five volumes out at this time. Especially since the manga covers material not included in the anime version a few years back.

On the omnibus side, a omnibus version of Detective Conan wih all original names intact? This is also extremely unlikely given DC never did especially well in the West, but darn it Viz, you’re the only ones using the English dub names at this point and you’re lagging behind significantly.

Last edited by darkestabsol on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
As for KochiKame, what's probably the most popular Jump title in Japan

I don't know of any metric other than length by which Kochikame is more popular than One Piece.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's a few I'd love to see as Omnibuses and, heaven forbid, finished off:

Strawberry 100% (VIZ) Who did Junpei pick? Inquiring minds want to know.
Enchanter (DMP) Flat out fun story.
School Rumble (Del Rey/Kodansha) Do Tenma and Oji hook up or what?
Suzuka (Del Rey/Kodansha) Same with this one...
Moonphase (Tokyopop) Just want to see how this ends, and what happens to the characters.

I know some of these can be read digitally, but I'm all about the paper.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
As for KochiKame, what's probably the most popular Jump title in Japan

I don't know of any metric other than length by which Kochikame is more popular than One Piece.

Fair enough. Kochikame is the third most popular Jump title in Japan, since only Dragon Ball & One Piece have sold more than it.
retroshojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see rereleases for:

Black Jack (Osamu Tezuka): I realize you can buy eBook versions on Amazon, but I'd really like to buy the physical books. Some volumes are ridiculously expensive right now.
Swan (Kyoko Ariyoshi): Aside from rereleasing what was already put out, they need to complete the series.

As a side note, I would love to see any of these get licensed at all:

Hime-chan no Ribbon
Himitsu no Akko-chan
Mahou Tsukai Sally
Honey Honey no Suteki na Boken

Last edited by retroshojo on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:38 am; edited 2 times in total
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Any good choices I listed, or are there any that won't ever get re-released or licensed?

I think someone would try giving Saint Seiya another chance, depending on how well the upcoming Neftlix reboot does in North America.

darkestabsol wrote:
On the omnibus side, a omnibus version of Detective Conan wih all original names intact? This is also extremely unlikely given DC never did especially well in the West, but darn it Viz, you’re the only ones using the English dub names at this point and you’re lagging behind significantly.

Why would they still be using the English dub names?
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, perhaps given the recent announcement that Rumiko Takahashi will be guest of honor at the 2020 Angloueme festival in France, it would be nice to see her heartfelt and wacky romantic comedy Maison Ikkoku re-released, as well as her Rumic World short stories and horror series, Mermaid Forest.

I actually have the old flipped copies of both Rumic World and Rumic Theater that Viz released in the 90s, but yeah it would be nice to get those in their original format. And I'd be all over Mermaid Forest if that ever got a proper release. I think it got a serialized run in Animerica magazine way back in the day, but nothing since then.

As for my own wish list, it's gotten a lot shorter in the past two years, especially with Silver Spoon finally coming out and the rest of Princess Resurrection at least getting digital releases, but there are still some I'm holding out for even if the odds are slim to none.

Bastard!!. I'd really love to complete my collection someday...
Galaxy Express 999. Been wanting to read the original for years - we're finally going to get the full uncut TV series (thank you, Discotek!), so it'd be great if that revived enough interest in it.
Battlefield. As long as I'm wishing for more of Leiji Matsumoto's work.
Encouragement of Climb. Please, someone? Anyone?
Saki: Achiga-hen. The main series just caught up with Japan, so it's the perfect time. Come on, Yen Press, make it happen!
Mysterious Joker. Seconding OjaruFan2 on this one - the anime was really fun and criminally under-watched.
Rec. Unfortunately neither manga nor anime has ever gotten a proper western release and the manga ended six years ago, so it's probably too late.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
One manga I'd love to see published in English again that would be well-suited to releasing as four three-volume omnibuses is Eri Takenashi's Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens, the official English release of which was left hanging after volume three due to Bandai Entertainment USA ceasing operations as a manga publisher. The point where the manga ceased being published in English was also the same point where the anime ended. While I'd love to see the remaining Kannagi manga be animated since there's enough source material for two or three more 12/13-episode "cour", the remainder of the Kannagi manga getting published in English would be a nice consolation prize for people still wondering if any of the big questions about Nagi brought up by Jin in the final episode of the anime were ever answered in the manga.

I'd be astonished if the manga gets licensed again in English but Strawberry Marshmallow, which was discontinued in English after five volumes*, was at least popular enough in France (where it's published under the title "Les Petites Fraises") to get re-released in two omnibus collections of three volumes each after the volumes had been released individually. Then again, I wasn't expecting the Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs to get a North American release the best part of a decade later, and that actually did happen, so I'm not ruling out the possibility we may see the Strawberry Marshmallow manga published again in English after all.

* Yeah, I know, the demise of Tokyopop as a publisher of English-translated manga soon after it put out volume five of Strawberry Marshmallow was a major contributing factor in its discontinuation, but the fact remains that no other English-language publisher picked it up afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, yes, I would definitely be up for Rose of Versailles. And I'd forgotten about Kannagi - got stuck on the third volume, and it was cute enough to want to read further... Have to admit I'd been meaning to track down Emma, really like A Bride's Story - one of my favourite authors, and I still giggle when I read vol 6, 'cause I can virtually hear her doing the horse noises as she's drawing them!

... And (quietly mumbles it because I've mumbled it before and I know I know it's getting old) Wandering son... Sorry.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I agree; I would love to see a nice release of Maison Ikkoku (though like Urusei Yatsura, I wonder if there will be new localizations, considering what happened with original localizer Gerard Jones) and certainly Takahashi's horror/short stories. Patlabor by Masami Yuuki would be great, but as I recall, only the first two volumes were released due to poor sales.

Here's another idea: Mai the Psychic Girl. This series was originally released through Viz/Eclipse and was reprinted by Viz in trades (I still own one). This series by Kazuya Kudo and Ryoichi Ikegami is the manga that first got me to collect the entire release because I enjoyed it so much. Sure would be nice to see a re-release in omnibus format. Also, Outlanders by Johji Manabe would be great: I still own the monthlies from way back in the early 90s (and one trade, reprinting the first four issues).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo!: This manga does more for me and many Tenchi fans than the Kajishima OVA ever tried to, with many of the stories found therein to be genuinely heartfelt. This is the one incarnation where the whole cast openly think of each other as a family, Ryoko included. I'm glad to still have this series in my library, and it would be nice if it were back in print for people to check it out.

Evangelion--Angelic Days: To hell with Shinji Ikari Raising Project, which was beautiful on the surface but had no substance whatsoever underneath. Fans initially hated Angelic Days for its rough artwork, but beneath that surface is a genuine story of the Eva characters we know and love in a world where their lives aren't messed up, and they still feel like the characters as we know them. It's great to read after the original anime series, and it's seriously about time this was given another chance.

Angel Sanctuary: This series is all kinds of messed up, but done in the most beautifully arty way told in a complex, yet imaginative and compelling fantasy storyline. Definitely a classic that should rise again some day.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I don't like the omnibus format (rather buy individual volumes), but my top 5 goes to:

Mahoraba (Akira Kojima)
Short Cuts (Furuya Usamaru)
17-sai. (Kamata Y., F. Seiji)
Koi Kaze (Yoshida Motoi)
Subete ni Iya Girl (Koji Rokunishi)

I was going to reaffirm that I agreed with ASHITA NO JOE and MAISON IKKOKU although I think Rumiko's is only a matter time, it could be what's next after URUSEI YATSURA is finished released but now I'm kind of taken back by KOI KAZE. That one would be an incredible longshot but I read the scanlations many years ago and always thought it was absolutely beautiful. I was reading the scanlations of her most recent work at the time when I eventually stopped reading scanlations. I've been wanting to revisit it though. I would love to start reading it again so maybe in the next couple of months I'll see if it was ever finished.

Another title, I would like to see is BOKU WA BEATLES. I just saw a trailer on YouTube for a film called YESTERDAY about a man who discovers he somehow ended up in another dimension where the Beatles never existed so he goes about becoming famous using his knowledge of the Beatles' music. BOKU WA BEATLES was the first thing I thought of when I saw this trailer though. I only read a volume and a couple of chapters but that's another I would really love to revisit.

One last one though was how did THE WORLD ONLY GOD KNOWS never get licensed?
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

Angel Sanctuary: This series is all kinds of messed up, but done in the most beautifully arty way told in a complex, yet imaginative and compelling fantasy storyline. Definitely a classic that should rise again some day.

I've been wanting to get the old volumes of this and read for some time but have never been able to afford them. This would be another great title to see released.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:20 pm Reply with quote
retroshojo wrote:
Hime-chan no Ribbon

I would love the Hime-chan no Ribbon anime as well.

As far as neglected classics, I want some Mitsuru Adachi classics. We did get the Cross Game manga, but Touch deserves a release (in all formats), especially with Mix coming up as an anime.

An MI re-release would be great, and that's another one that needs an anime re-release, from the remastered Blu-Ray source already released in Japan.
Estoma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor and Gintama!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4