• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Which forgotten or underappreciated manga do you think deserve a big splashy omnib

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Right now, it’s Kimagure Orange Road and Kodomo no Jikan. Still waiting on my copies, DMP.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Right now, it’s Kimagure Orange Road and Kodomo no Jikan. Still waiting on my copies, DMP.

I'm with you on KODOMO NO JIKAN. Laughing

WORLD END ECONOMICA from Sekai has been nearly as bad. Whenever they finally get around to giving an update, they claim there will be more but then nothing for months. I'll be so happy to finally see these two finally released.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:51 pm Reply with quote
3x3 Eyes, Blazing Transfer Student, Himizu, Ichi the Killer, Legend of the Strongest Man: Kurosawa, Riki Oh, Ultra Heaven and Wolf Guy need to be released in the US for once or be reprinted. 3x3 Eyes have been out of print for ages.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
If we're talking underappreciated and definitely forgotten I think "X" 1999 is a great example. Maybe if some new omnibus editions were made and interest was piqued again the ladies at CLAMP might finally finish the damn thing. And I might win the mega millions lottery one day. Not sure which is more likely at this point.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

X (X1999 was Viz's title) did get the full 3-in-1 omnibus treatment between 2011 and 2013 in 6 volumes. It even came out in the larger trim size.

As far as I can tell, Clamp has no intention of finishing the series. I suspect they started the series with a good set up and had no idea how they wanted to end it, and still don't (Heinlein or Evangelion syndrome).
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
If we're talking underappreciated and definitely forgotten I think "X" 1999 is a great example. Maybe if some new omnibus editions were made and interest was piqued again the ladies at CLAMP might finally finish the damn thing. And I might win the mega millions lottery one day. Not sure which is more likely at this point.

Viz actually did release omnibus editions of X a couple years ago (with unflipped artwork and a new translation)

As for what I wouldn't mind a re-release of:

Saint Seiya because I'm a huge fan, it's such an influential work, and I think it deserves another chance. I'm lucky enough to have gotten all of the "knights of the Zodiac" volumes that got release, and changed names or not i treasure them.

Kekkaishi this did give one a 3-in-1 release...but stopped partway. Guess it didn't sell, Which is a shame because I think it's such an underappreciated, and smartly written shonen action tale with one of best female co-protagonists in the genre.

And on the shoujo side would be Please Save My Earth and Basara, two really great stories which sadly started going out of print right around the time I discovered them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well color me surprised, I never even saw or heard of those. Could've (and should've) checked Google first but I was so sure they never had any I didn't think to. Well....that idea sure backfired then as to getting a real ending.
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
Echoing the "not a fan of the omnibus" format, I hate when paperback spines get knackered, and that only gets more likely the wider the book is.

Now, if they did them as hardback... Very Happy
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well color me surprised, I never even saw or heard of those. Could've (and should've) checked Google first but I was so sure they never had any I didn't think to. Well....that idea sure backfired then as to getting a real ending.

The interesting thing there is that 2010/11 is when Dark Horse got the licenses to several CLAMP titles that used to belong to Tokyopop like Chobits, Rayearth, Angelic Layer, etc., and started releasing omnibus editions of those series. Viz had and still has X/1999, but I think they saw what Dark Horse was doing with the rest of the CLAMP catalog and decided to piggyback on it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, now that volume 12 is out in English, with volume 13 coming out in English in March, it'd be a pretty good time for Yen Press to put out 3-in-1 volumes of WataMote/No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular, especially for those people who might have only ever seen the anime (which only covered roughly the first three volumes plus a bit of volume 4 if I remember correctly) but who want to catch up with how Tomoko has developed as a character since her awkward early high school days.

Last edited by Tenchi on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Here are some other possibilities.

Club 9 (Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Club 9):
animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2011-05-26

What's Michael? (1st part of "The Mike Toole Show, The Cat's Meow-nga"):
animenewsnetwork.com/the-mike-toole-show/2015-08-09/.91464

Alien Nine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Nine

Vampire Princess Miyu:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Princess_Miyu

Steam Detectives:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Detectives

Lucky Star (manga):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Star_%28manga%29

OL Shinkaron [Survival in the Office]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OL_Shinkaron
Greywing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
There's not many I'd want to re-buy in omnibus form, but my great white whale of unfinished manga is Eden: It's an Endless World!, by Hiroki Endo. Dark Horse only had, I believe, four volumes left to publish, but it's been stalled at volume 14 for years.

Thing is, it got GREAT reviews at the time, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. I have no idea why it was left unfinished. At 18 'regular' tankobon size volumes though, it would fit neatly into six omnibus editions - that could be the best way to get the series finished and reach new readers.

Other than that, I might re-buy Sgt Frog if it were collected, but I'm not sure I'd still appreciate its sense of humour.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:

This. And get the 13-volume sequel while at it. The story of the first 8-volume series ended quite unsatisfactory.
Greywing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Greywing wrote:
There's not many I'd want to re-buy in omnibus form, but my great white whale of unfinished manga is Eden: It's an Endless World!, by Hiroki Endo. Dark Horse only had, I believe, four volumes left to publish, but it's been stalled at volume 14 for years.

Thing is, it got GREAT reviews at the time, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. I have no idea why it was left unfinished. At 18 'regular' tankobon size volumes though, it would fit neatly into six omnibus editions - that could be the best way to get the series finished and reach new readers.

Other than that, I might re-buy Sgt Frog if it were collected, but I'm not sure I'd still appreciate its sense of humour.

Oh my gosh, how could I forget Guyver?! I really want to read that saga properly, but it's just impossible to get hold of. Omnibus editions could help actually get it all out in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4