• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Film to Earn Estimated US$41.7 Million in U.S. in 5 Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
even if a sequel is greenlit,how long would that take?Another 20 years?James Cameron is at an age where he really doesn't have the luxury to make long term plans anymore like he is doing with the Avatar sequels.
I know he's perfeccionist and likes to take his time and that's probably why he has a mostly great filmography,but he's 64 now,whatever dreams and plans he has,he's gotta make them now before he regrets...

Well, that's why Cameron "did a Radioland Murders" and tossed it off to Robert Rodriguez after thirty years--
Like when George Lucas realized he'd never be able to do anything else in his career after the Star Wars prequels, what did it matter who directed "Red Tails"? He was sort of limited in what dreams he had left, and just stuck with believing his own fan reputation.

In Cameron's case, even if he lives to make Avatar 2, I'd advise dealing with disappointment right now if we never get Avatar 3 or True Lies 2, as promised.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Saw the movie with my daughter in 3D on Saturday and there's was roughly 10 people in the theater including ourselves. It's nice to read it was #1 over the weekend, but once HTTYD 2 hits this weekend it'll drop for sure. I've been promoting it non-stop to people at work and friends telling them you don't need to know the story to enjoy it. Hopefully the movie will have legs and stick around for a while. I will be seeing it again this week in 2D for comparison.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Are those numbers good? Bad? Really bad? Mediocre?
I don't know anything about financing movies - are they expected to pay for themselves in one week only? Aren't there still a ton of secondary marketing ways, like disk sales and streaming licenses?

"How much money will Alita make?"

"Ticket sales forecasts put its estimated domestic take at $25 million."

"That's bad..."

"But Alita has actually so far made $40 million, double the amount than was expected!"

"That's good!"

"But the budget of the film is estimated to be around $150 million."

"That's bad..."

"But there's still a good chance that its doubles its domestic take in overseas markets..."

"That's good!"

"But that doesn't factor in marketing costs, usually estimated as being as high as your production budget..."

"..."

"That's bad..."

"Look, could I please just get one 3-D ticket to Alita?"
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Rim is a good example for comparison, a film with a similarly sized budget (in fact 20 million bigger), managed to get a sequel from global earnings of 411,002,906 dollars and 101,802,906 dollars in the North American market. Its earnings in North America in the first 7 days were 52,280,292 dollars, a similar daily rate as Alita.

But Pacific Rim had a much weaker audience reaction than Alita: 77% (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013) versus 93% for Alita (https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel). This suggests that word of mouth might drive Alita to make much more in the coming weeks than Pacific Rim did.

Overall I am optimistic since Alita already got about 140 million and has not opened in China and Japan yet. I expect it to make a lot in both markets, maybe 200-250 million in China and about 60-70 million in Japan. I guess it might finish up with about 500-600 million, enough to lead to the desired triology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Xristophoros"]
johnnysasaki wrote:

for me personally, alita was far superior to 90% of the marvel/dc schlock we have seen over the past 10 years. it felt inspired, fresh and daring in ways the superhero films do not. for the sake of hollywood, which has become very stale and formulaic, a film like alita succeeding is very important. alita could also allow (encourage or pave the way) for a magnitude of other manga/anime properties to be greenlit and given respectable live-action adaptations as well. alita is to manga/anime what xmen (2000) or spiderman (2002) was to comic books with regards to live action adaptations. it will forever be referenced as the "one that started it all" -- if indeed, such as trend occurs that is.

Don't forget Blade(1998), that's the film that Really started the comic book trend. Whether Alita will be the same for manga/anime we'll have to wait and see. Now we just see if Detective Pikachu can do the same for video games.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I may actually see Alita: Battle Angel after all this "Cheap Tuesday", ironically because there's a convenient 2D showing at the cinema closest to me while everything else I considered seeing tomorrow only had 3D options available at a not-way-too-early hour anywhere near me.

I haven't seen any movies in the theatre since last summer. I've been meaning to go to the movies more often but every Tuesday lately has been either too cold for me to want to go out or there's been a snowstorm. This will be the first Tuesday in a while that'll be at least relatively pleasant for Ottawa in February.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MeisterMitch wrote:
Don't forget Blade(1998), that's the film that Really started the comic book trend. Whether Alita will be the same for manga/anime we'll have to wait and see. Now we just see if Detective Pikachu can do the same for video games.

indeed! video game adaptations have a very long way to go, but let's try to be optimistic that someone will crack it eventually. my vote is on silent hill at the moment, as being the best so far... while not great, it is more than competent.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I may actually see Alita: Battle Angel after all this "Cheap Tuesday", ironically because there's a convenient 2D showing at the cinema closest to me while everything else I considered seeing tomorrow only had 3D options available at a not-way-too-early hour anywhere near me.

I haven't seen any movies in the theatre since last summer. I've been meaning to go to the movies more often but every Tuesday lately has been either too cold for me to want to go out or there's been a snowstorm. This will be the first Tuesday in a while that'll be at least relatively pleasant for Ottawa in February.

as a fellow canadian, i feel your pain with regards to the cold weather. i will say, though, that battle angel alita is worth seeing at the cinema, even if you have to fight through a snowstorm Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
It's bizarre that a film that opens at #1 is considered a flop. :/

It's also odd to me that they decided to release it in Feb. instead of closer to summer. It's not exactly a huge movie-going month.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It's also odd to me that they decided to release it in Feb. instead of closer to summer. It's not exactly a huge movie-going month.

This film got pushed back three times. It was original and August 2018, then Christmas 2018, and it settled with this opening weekend.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Except Deadpool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

not really when you consider that it's been in production hell for literal decades and cost god knows how much to make. reported budget is $170m but you can bet it's at least double that when you factor in marketing.

the movie will not be profitable enough to warrant its own sequel, but it's highly likely cameron will simply force the matter and produce it with his own money (he basically already has). personally i just wish he'd leave it alone and resign himself to making Avatar sequels for the rest of his life. he can't be trusted to make faithful adaptations and is too used to his shoehorned romance subplots. they sell tickets...but not enough in this case, apparently. probably because the movie is bad.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No budget too steep, no sea too deep. Who's that? It's him, James Cameron!

To think that he wanted to put even more money into the 200 mil. film if he had the time to direct...
I don´t need a sequel to a film that´s only ok and frankly misses the point of the manga (i couldn´t care less how much Kishiro love the film) but the film shows signs of reaching a break even point instead of outright bombing as many predicted. Better than nothing? Unless Alita truly falls though the floor in China, due to the heavy competition right now. Then again, Mr. Avatar is currently promoting the film in China. Sing the song again everyone. He may do it yet.

I still have a hard time seeing Disney, the future owner of Fox, green-light anything more, outside of a CG toon thingy for Hulu. The US market is the most important one for them and the US clearly doesn´t care. Even Cameron is a businessman first, with a reputation to uphold. It´s almost a shame though.
The laughably miscast Edward Norton could have eaten ALL the scenery in the 2 renaming films. Hm.

Edit: I forgot the Variety article about the film´s performance. I love Variety and the break even point is somewhere between 400 and 450 mil. according to Forbes.
https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/alita-battle-angel-box-office-disaster-1203141963/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I imagine that kind of thing is a hard decision with a lot of variables. Yes, this time of the year isn't a very popular time for moviegoers, which is bad. On the other hand, there also isn't much competition from other titles either, which is probably why Alita was ranked #1. (A big fish in a small pond) People seeing that the movie was rated "#1 that weekend" is good for advertising. If they had delayed it further they might have been able to release it at at time when more people were going to the theater, but that also would have meant more competition from other titles being screened.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Overall I am optimistic since Alita already got about 140 million and has not opened in China and Japan yet. I expect it to make a lot in both markets, maybe 200-250 million in China and about 60-70 million in Japan. I guess it might finish up with about 500-600 million, enough to lead to the desired triology.

I can not speak for the Chinese market, but I don't see this making anywhere near that much here. I predict this will make maybe 10 million USD at best. Ghost in the Shell did not make much money in Japan at all. Japanese audiences really aren't interested in American remakes of Japanese properties and ideas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3