• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samsung Cancels Production of New BD Players in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
To be fair, Samsung's 4K Players weren't the best. They didn't even support Dolby Vision. I think they marketed themselves out.

True. There are other better BD player options.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I have a BD player made by LG company and my Xbone S can play it (pretty sure it requires the internet to play it, though).
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
It could most probably be the case that the market for standalone players is falling to -

a) Streaming boxes.
b) Game Consoles.

Wouldn't surprise me if the market for physical goods is also the sort with a game console that does the job - either a PlayStation of Xbox.

Pretty much the 4K market will also largely be next gen consoles as game sizes force the move to UltraHD higher capacity blu-ray discs.

I expect in due time the majority of the market that does not collect will move entirely to subscription streaming for films, TV and games.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Man, i cannot hardly believe that streaming service stuff is on the rise and that dvd and blu-ray sales are on the decline. Its like we're going into the virtual life.

Also, Samsung is a Korean electronic company, so does it have to be reported here since this is a Japanese-related stie?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
When OPPO announced their shutdown last year it was widely mourned in the Audiophile community, their players were prized as much for their Audio capabilities as their Video. I've had Samsung & SONY Blu-Ray players, both seem to work well and were not expensive.

We also stream Audio & Video to an assortment of devices, but we also still buy a steady quantity of physical media. Indeed my CD collection has expanded from less than 100 to over 650 in the past 5 years, thank you Goodwill & Salvation Army.

The Audio community has already seen the demise of several streaming services, so there are quite a few people that are leery of the loss of access to media.

Mark Gosdin
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
To be fair, Samsung's 4K Players weren't the best. They didn't even support Dolby Vision. I think they marketed themselves out.

True. There are other better BD player options.

I'd recommend getting a 4K unit from Sony if you can, WHILE you can...

And get at least 2, and pray they still make or support these things in the future.

It is NOT looking good for the BD/4K market...

The studios are hell-bent on FORCING people to stream and buy online digital copies which those of us WITH A BRAIN know can be deleted from servers OR they can refuse to acknowledge you own those IF you move out of country and to another continent!

This is what the guys who have always downloaded music, movie, game files don't understand about digital --
It's NOT permanent and what you get in a digital copy is NOT always the same and equal to what's on the original disc, either!

I used to be a BIG player of Capcom fighting games. I LOVED the CPS-2 era but ever since the PS3 era, they have SCREWED UP emulation of those titles and EVERY CPS-2 or later title I've played has been missing sounds from it!!!! Most people aren't aware because they didn't play the original arcades games OR own arcade-perfect ports like I did (and still do) for earlier game consoles (PS2, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast).

What happened was Capcom passed on emulation of its game titles to third party companies and the QA was very, very spotty in some respects. The games generally play at the right speeds but I've always noticed audio drop out and lines of dialogue MISSING from the games. I played them so many times in the past that I've noticed this stuff 10-15 years later.

Now, if that's happening with games, what do you suppose they're screwing up or changing on the streaming versions of movies?

All the bonus stuff you get on discs you won't get on streaming UNLESS they decide to provide those extras "out of the goodness" of their hearts or for an extra fee. I've noticed at least with the anime titles I've looked at you HAVE to select English or Japanese and you can't swap out language on the fly like you can on a disc.

There's a convenience from the disc that you lose with streaming media.

But what do I know? People want convenience, portability, immediate gratification, and they don't think long-term about these things...
The film studios don't think in long-term very well, either. They have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
It could most probably be the case that the market for standalone players is falling to -

a) Streaming boxes.
b) Game Consoles.

Yes indeed, especially gaming consoles. You can stream with them, and they play BDs as well. And years ago the fact that the PS3 played BDs was a major reason why BDs were so widely adopted. People bought the console to play games, but got the BD functionality built-in. It was a very wise move by Sony. Now there isn't much need for a standalone player. In a way it's a bit like how the smartphone killed a number of other devices by incorporating their functions too (consumer-tier cameras, calculators, dictation recorders, pagers, PDAs, etc)

I love streaming because it's easy to check out a new show with minimal effort (and money!). That said, I will always want the shows that I love in physical media, I've been burned far too many times with streaming media disappearing. Heck, I still maintain my LD player (and I have a backup!).
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Meh fine by me. My X-Box One and PS4 still play them quite fine.

Indeed, i have been playing my BDs on the PS3/PS4 for the past 12 years and i have no issues with that at all.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:02 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
In a way it's a bit like how the smartphone killed a number of other devices by incorporating their functions too (consumer-tier cameras, calculators, dictation recorders, pagers, PDAs, etc)

That's one of the things I hate most about smartphones (besides the fragility of the screen and how they're essentially "Big Brother" in your pocket), how they've pretty much killed the mid-range pocket camera market, since I value having both optical zoom and tactile physical controls and can't get used to taking photos with a touchscreen.

DSLR and mirrorless cameras are great but I can't bring them with me every single time I go out while my pocket Canon camera from a decade ago can fit in the front pocket of my jeans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

That's one of the things I hate most about smartphones (besides the fragility of the screen and how they're essentially "Big Brother" in your pocket), how they've pretty much killed the mid-range pocket camera market, since I value having both optical zoom and tactile physical controls and can't get used to taking photos with a touchscreen.

DSLR and mirrorless cameras are great but I can't bring them with me every single time I go out while my pocket Canon camera from a decade ago can fit in the front pocket of my jeans.

Still have my older Canon Powershot pocket camera. It's great like you said for those small trips or excursions where my bigger Nikon camera is just a pain to carry. Now if I reallllly wanted to get fancy I could always take out my dad's old Minolta 35mm camera with his attachable lenses.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Agreed. I can't argue with their convenience really, but they don't do a very good job at most of the things they replace. It's like a swiss army knife. Yeah, it's great to have a bunch of tools in your pocket, but they are't as good as "real" tools.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
As a collector of physical media and hater of vapid easily erased digital vaporware subject to disappearing from my device or refusing to play whenever said company desires, this news is a worrying step in the wrong direction. Mad

Last edited by Kruszer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

a) Streaming boxes.

Actually, this is a pain in the ass. To play a 4k BD off a pc to your 4k tv, there is a dumb amount of DRM involved. I looked at the option of getting a drive because I didn't really want to have a special player just for 4k BDs, but I quickly gave up. As usual, this is only a pita if you're buying the 4k BDs... it remains super trivial to throw anything downloaded on the tv. It really pisses me off thinking that I'm getting a more inconvenient experience while paying for something. I'm hoping 4k BD drives are standard on the next gen consoles.
Musk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I have an all region Samsung 4k import player and its one of the best things I've ever invested in. I don't care about streaming cause I live in an area where I can't really get streaming services and when I do stream the quality is mediocre at best.

Me personally, I rather own the physical copy. Even if I have to import it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this portends either a drop in the price of US models (or better still, the narrowing of the gap between Blu-ray discs and DVDs) or else the complete opposite. Physical media is ever a movable feast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3