• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord' Novel Series Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
ricardo241 wrote:
Well...they are not really related on anything right? 0.0 no blood relation or whatsoever and the girl is a demon

There is no scientific reason why their relationship would be a problem. Since they are not blood related, they would not create children at higher risk of genetic disorders. Also, science can change in fantasy worlds.

However, what people find "icky" is usually not based on scientific, rational thought. The icky feeling is usually a reflex, a thoughtless action.

There is also an issue with power dynamics within the relationship. So the trouble here is that they may not enter the relationship at an even level. If the power dynamics are not equal, one becomes the master and the other becomes their servant. That may lead to abuse.

In this story, a parent and child start a relationship. Unless the child has lived alone for some time, the child is dependent on the parent. That means that the parent has the power. With power, the parent can make demands. This parent may never be abusive, but in real life, abuse is common.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's the power dynamics that get me. I've read a few age-gap manga, but I've steered clear of things that run along the line of spoiler[ "raises his own wife".] Laughing

Last edited by Ali07 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:30 am Reply with quote
Most of the potential problems with this were covered in jesusalcala11's post above, but to add one more thing: if that spoiler-tagged plot development doesn't bother you, imagine if their genders were swapped. Would you still find that acceptable? I'm guessing not.

While it may not be spoiler[literal lolicon, it's only one step removed from it. This is far from being strictly an Anime Thing, as it shows up in a lot of old Western works as well, and happened pretty often in real life (yikes).] It's become less and less socially-appropriate over the years, as women have moved closer to being seen as full-fledged human beings.
Kai99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
melton80 wrote:
i could see if they were blood related or if they hook up while one of them is underage but if it isnt those 2 conditions who gives a crap if they fall in love later in life, nothing icky about it just way to sensitive snowflakes.

So your saying you view it as perfectly acceptable for a person to adopt a young child in the hopes of getting with them when they are legal? Your perfectly okay with child grooming just as long as the person waits when they are officially legal?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
melton80 wrote:
i could see if they were blood related or if they hook up while one of them is underage but if it isnt those 2 conditions who gives a crap if they fall in love later in life, nothing icky about it just way to sensitive snowflakes.

So your saying you view it as perfectly acceptable for a person to adopt a young child in the hopes of getting with them when they are legal? Your perfectly okay with child grooming just as long as the person waits when they are officially legal?

You do know none of that was said in the comment right..? The guy above said that of they happened to fall in love later in life and they're not related in any way, then whatever. It's not like Dale went "Yeah boi" when he saw her. <.<
ricardo241

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Kai99 wrote:
melton80 wrote:

Wait did the MC actually did that to have a wife in the future?
spoiler[ I haven't read the LN but if there is actually a reason on how the MC ended up loving lalatina as a waifu instead of a daughter then I wouldn't really hate it ]
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 am Reply with quote
ricardo241 wrote:
Kai99 wrote:
melton80 wrote:

Wait did the MC actually did that to have a wife in the future?
spoiler[ I haven't read the LN but if there is actually a reason on how the MC ended up loving lalatina as a waifu instead of a daughter then I wouldn't really hate it ]

Well I'm not up to date because of the reasons here but later on in the story spoiler[Latina realizes that she has romantic feelings for dale. I think her friends figure it out before her? any way around that point, i started reading the summary of the Japanese releases and it basically explains that Dale is initially oblivious to how Latina feels until some event in between volumes that ends with him asking for her hand in marriage.

Yeah.]

For what its worth Dale never picked her up with any ulterior motives... however the way the relationship is portrayed is quite unsettling, IMO it just seems so out of place.
I think a story like this could have reduced the ick factor if they showed us less of her growth from a child to an adult.
It'd still be unsettling to most people but this way there's less familiarity between the audience and child Latina.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
Until vol 5 Uchi no Musume was pefect then .. but i'm still really happy !
Can't wait the first cour at least will be really good.

It took longer for it to be announced than i thought, most of my favorites fantasy LN are now announced.
Tears incoming.

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:00 am Reply with quote
Looks like a cute story with a good balance between slice of life and adventure. It will be great.

For the so called "problems" some can have with the story if it go the way some posters talk about, as long is fiction and no real people are involved, I have no issues with it.
Phantowhite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
i can definitely understand why people would have a problem with the later half of the series, but personally, i don't really mind. spoiler[in the first place, they aren't really together all that often while she is a child. dale is usually out adventuring so the ones that raise her are the other adventurers at the bar. i might be off put if he raised her from an infant or something but that's not the case.] in any case i'm looking forward to this since despite what anyone says, it's still a fairly nice and heartwarming story.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
So from what I've seen in this forum, this series has that issue about spoiler[a parent eventually ending up with his own child]. So apart from being yet another isekai series, it also has what I hated the most about the Usagi Drop manga. What a great combination! I'm not sure I'll be checking this out.
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
So from what I've seen in this forum, this series has that issue about spoiler[a parent eventually ending up with his own child]. So apart from being yet another isekai series, it also has what I hated the most about the Usagi Drop manga. What a great combination! I'm not sure I'll be checking this out.

To make a minor correction this is a fantasy series, not an Isekai. There's not much difference most of the time but none of the cast of this show is from a different world transported to that one.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
..... has anyone... ever... heard of... The Tale of Genji...?

Because uhhh.... that's where that comes from. That's even the TVTropes name for it.

And yes, The Tale of Genji was written by a woman. Whose "pen name"/ name she's known by to people in her time and to history... comes from the girl's name. (The world of literature in the Heian era was waaaay different from anything to compare to today, but I still thought I'd mention that...)

sooooo yeaahhhhhhh...

Not that it doesn't come from a weird place with some writers today - haven't read this or Bunny Drop - but like.

. . . . . . . but at the same time, "It's sweet because it was sweet in this thing 1000 years ago" isn't a good way to pick what happens in your novel, and like... eehhhh it's multifaceted, everything is multifaceted, but just, fyi this is a thing.

But, The Tale of Genji is mostly about a prince being beautiful and everyone else being in awe of how beautiful he is. And that's something that modern fiction needs more of.

Oh, and writing poetry! And incense games! And just... sitting around being really, really fancy. Which is why it's amazing.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
Dale x Latina wasn't much a problem for me, honestly, it was obvious since the start that it would happens once Latina became older, the author did a rather good job in making this "from daughter to wife" transition, the problem with Uchi no Musume is that after the way to much rushed spoiler[Demon Lords's hunt arc ( which took about 70% of vol 5 )] nothing happens, it went from a heartfull story to everlasting roundabout small chat until the end.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:46 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this, but after hearing the later half of the story my interest has waned. Not because of the spoiler[“marrying your adopted daughter” fantasy, or even the power dynamics previously mentioned.]

This looks like it will be spoiler[fantasy world Usagi Drop] and not something particularly new unless the anime staff decides to write its own story. This could have been a lot more endearing as a father-daughter story, not necessarily akin to Sweetness & Lightning but something closer to that would have been preferable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4