• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bulma Voice Actress Monica Rial Shares Alleged Inappropriate Encounters With Vic Mignogna

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 am Reply with quote
Someone who is close to my best friend and her husband who works at Funimation said Vic bullied her a lot and as a victim of harsh bullying myself in the 6th grade I believe her.

I don't stand with Vic anymore, but I don't really hate him either the people I do hate are his terrible fans who are going around sending death threats and harassing people. Same for Monica and Jamie I do not hate them anymore I mean I did last week cause I seriously thought all this was false, but after what that person said and how Funimation did detailed investigation of his victims I honestly believe they were right in firing him and that the truth will come out in court eventually.

Also since that person who works at Funimation came forward with her story on facebook she has been harassed non stop and I guess someone called the swat team on her rental house and busted her door down. Seriously this is getting way to outta control.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
Removed all references to an offsite youtube channel and discussions trying to initiate off-topic arguments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Someone who is close to my best friend and her husband who works at Funimation said Vic bullied her a lot and as a victim of harsh bullying myself in the 6th grade I believe her.

I don't stand with Vic anymore, but I don't really hate him either the people I do hate are his terrible fans who are going around sending death threats and harassing people. Same for Monica and Jamie I do not hate them anymore I mean I did last week cause I seriously thought all this was false, but after what that person said and how Funimation did detailed investigation of his victims I honestly believe they were right in firing him and that the truth will come out in court eventually.

Also since that person who works at Funimation came forward with her story on facebook she has been harassed non stop and I guess someone called the swat team on her rental house and busted her door down. Seriously this is getting way to outta control.

The SWAT story was proven fake but that's beside the point of what you're saying.

Also, that's nice of you of having someone with close ties to FUNImation.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
Between various areas on YouTube and Reddit vs here and various areas on YouTube, it's like people are living in two completely different worlds.

I would like to believe Monica but after two high-profile incidents that were not what they seemed (Jussie Smollett and Covington) there's still doubt in the back of my mind. I can't help it. There's just too much stuff being distorted.

I hope Monica isn't making this up or exaggerating because if this is a farce this will annihilate every victim's credibility in the industry for years.

Last edited by macattack on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
Just send Mignogna to jail. End of story.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Monica's story did resonate a lot with the other women who stated how they would be grabbed by their hair.

I think that detail hurts her statement more than it helps. Hair pulling is starting to be the go-to detail people have in their accusation towards Vic. It's starting to mirror the Michael Jackson accusations where suddenly all of the kids and parents remember the exact same detail as soon as another accuser says it. It made those look like copycat accusations from greedy parents and the jury dismissed them, and then Michael was found not-guilty.

Last edited by AmpersandsUnited on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Just send Mignogna to jail. End of story.

What if he's innocent and gets send to jail for 5-10 years and after that well get to know that he's in ocent what then? Thats the thing with accusations they can be right but they can also be wrong and destroy a guys live like in the case of ciaran mckenna a soccer player who turned down a celtic glassgow contract for a usa 3 year scholarship, sadly a false rape accusation destroyed his life and his chance at a pro soccer contrsct.
EX_Summoner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 am Reply with quote
I'm relatively neutral in all this, mainly cause I've never even met Vic nor Monica/Jaime/Sean in my entire casual anime fan life but even then I got to wonder something about the Vic stans: All this for a voice actor?!

I mean yeah I've heard him a couple of times especially in Full Metal Alchemist and to think he's talented, and even then I knew he had his dedicated fanbase. But Jesus Christ, are these some dedicated or should I say obsessed fans. Like what is it about Vic that sets him apart from other voice actors in the industry that he has such rabid fans? I don't care whether he's guilty/innocent or whether Monica or Jaime really are telling the truth: But his fanbase imo is freaking insane.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
...You know, I was actually expecting something a little more detailed, like with Marchi.

That’s probably because she describes it as having happened multiple times; there’s no point in going over every individual instance. Besides, it sounds eerily similar to Marchi’s singular incident.
DQBunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Instead of just deleting this post, I am letting it be known that speculation posts regarding anonymous victims who requested not to be named are being removed. I've already posted the reason why in another thread. Thanks. --Crisha
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Monica has got my back. I just want this whole thing to end because all the comments on Funi's and Rooster Teeth's Twitter and Facebook have gotten out of hand. #BeThere
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
I read Rial's comments on Twitter after she posted, and there is just something that does not fit in her timeline the way she describes the events. But since Vic is confirmed taking her to court, I'll leave that to the lawyers than the court of public opinion.

Needless to say, it felt double-sided offering forgiveness but with an intimidating comment. Just use Twitter report or block, save the real threats to the police.
Nobody Nothing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="#884745"]
Takkun4343 wrote:
I don't know why the fact that Vic gave a good performance as a character in a show makes it hard to believe he would do bad things in real life, and makes people not want to believe that he did.

I don't think it's just that. I think that his reputation for being a very friendly person, his commitment to morality, and his encouraging attitude have a lot to do with it. Of course, all of this is apparently only directed toward his fans, but they're the ones who are defending him (ignoring the random crowd of folks who think there's a huge conspiracy to destroy non-minorities).

But following from what you said, I do think that it's likely that Vic wasn't making all of his good qualities up. Even if he knew subconsciously that being good to his fans would help his career, I think he was being mostly honest. Can't say for sure though.

In any case, short of unreasonably unlikely, first-hand, absolute proof (like videos), there's not much that can make the case against Vic any stronger than it already is. It's not at all surprising that he hasn't explicitly responded to the violent accusations, since they'd be much harder to get a "free pass" from the community for. I hope everything that kept getting Vic to excuse his behavior (like not handling fan praise responsibly) is dealt with and I wish him well.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
I'd be lying if I said my first instinct wasn't to comment on the irony... (Burma being the medium's poster-child for creepy sexual harassment and all)... but yeah, this is super gross.

Just reading through the comments here... yikes. Glad ANN is actively moderating these threads. And just because no one else seems to have mentioned it, I'll go ahead and post the requisite mantra: ALWAYS BELIEVE THE VICTIMS.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
...You know, I was actually expecting something a little more detailed, like with Marchi.

Considering she mentioned being advised by a lawyer, and the fact Funi had their investigation, this is probably what they all agreed/allowed her to say at the moment.

SWAnimefan wrote:
But since Vic is confirmed taking her to court, I'll leave that to the lawyers than the court of public opinion

And where exactly is this confirmation you're talking about?

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14