• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Film Wins Oscar Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
Naturally Spider man Into the spider-verse deserves this awards, I was stunned by its visuals, I gotta say it was the best animated film of 2018 for me.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:57 am Reply with quote
Spider-Man deserved to win. Mira I was great but it just fell short of best of the year. Also, Spider-Man made history because it represents the first Oscar awarded to a black director in the animation category. Why isn’t that mentioned in the article?
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:17 am Reply with quote
Caring for the Oscars in 2019. Yikes.

Mirai wasn't good though, even Japan didn't like it much, so eh.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:43 am Reply with quote
This isn't even news, a great Anime film wouldn't even win in a year where American animated films were lacking, so what chance did this have with the critical acclaimed Spider verse.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:59 am Reply with quote
Wooow! I was honestly expecting the academy to play it safe and let Incredibles 2 win, the fact that they didn't just default to Pixar again this year amazes me! It gives me hope for someone other than Pixar winning in the future now too! I am quite pleased with these results! I'll see Spiderman eventually... it's on my backlog now....that...ever growing backlog....
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 am Reply with quote
It´s nice to see that the best film of 2018 took the toon Oscar instead of Mamoru Hosoda´s worst film.
I finally saw Mirai and can safely confirm that my reservations about it´s many nominations were justified. Who is this well drawn nonsense even for? I frankly read better structured and more coherent fan fiction.

The year´s Oscar winners are fairly weird overall. Roma wins best director and best foreign film but not best film. Yeah, that´s the real bias people should complain about. Bohemian Rhapsody won best editing? That was the film biggest issue! And Green Book winning and taking home the best original script, gimme a break. It´s fine family film, with the production values and cinematography of an HBO original movie, yet it has almost nothing to do with history or the people it´s based on. Even Shirley´s family complained about the film missing the mark. Did the academy spit the vote again? The best actor + actress and some of the technical stuff are about the only wins i can easily agree with.
Edit: I forgot to praise BlacKkKlansman winning. That adapted script is legit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vitah-108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Just as expected. Congrats. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a terrific film.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
I do not like the art or animation of the new Spider-Man from the trailer I saw. Furthermore, is it not about Spider-Man? It seems to star a young black kid. Maybe it is an unfinished version.. It has not aired in Japan yet.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
I do not like the art or animation of the new Spider-Man from the trailer I saw. Furthermore, is it not about Spider-Man? It seems to star a young black kid. Maybe it is an unfinished version.. It has not aired in Japan yet.

Oh boy, so much to unpack. There are a lot of different universes in the Marvel world. You heard of Spider Gwen, right?

But please look up Miles Morales. He is Spider-Man.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
This was one of the two wins that were actually deserved.
It gets a lot of praise for the different animation styles (rightfully so), but the great story and characters are what really held everything together. Mirai was good, I liked it, but it's just an OK movie. Into the Spiderverse was genuinely amazing as a movie and as an experience and blaming the win on "Hollywood bias wouldn't let anime win" is a completely ignorant opinion.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:

A large focus of this movie, it being in the title of the movie, is the multi-verse. There are numerous different spider-people (and animals) within the multitude of universes. The classic Peter Parker Spiderman is just one of them and is in this movie along with several others, but the main character is Miles Morales as he becomes the Spiderman of his universe.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:55 am Reply with quote
The animation in Spider-Man was well done and creative, so I'm pleasantly surprised given how it normally goes to Disney/Pixar films by default, usually because they're the only titles those voting on them have heard of.

While I tend to just view awards shows as "for fun" and take them with a grain of salt, I do wish some of the other categories had turned out differently... The animation category ended up being one of the better results, alongside actress and adapted screenplay imo.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
American bias against anime is nothing new.

I wouldn't really call this one bias because Spiderverse was an amazing film.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
The animation in Spider-Man was well done and creative, so I'm pleasantly surprised given how it normally goes to Disney/Pixar films by default, usually because they're the only titles those voting on them have heard of.

Also, because they're the only ones voters go to see, by reputation, since "life's too short" to screen Boss Baby or Ferdinand if they have no intention of voting for it.
Nowadays, "Brave" is only remembered as "Wreck-It Ralph was robbed!"--since word of mouth for the better WDFA movie hadn't yet spread by January--and Spiderverse was in the same problem, as most of the good breakout fan notice hadn't taken hold until January. But looks like they were just in time to get the voters' attention and stop them from "doing a Brave" on Incredibles 2.

(And yeah, now that the statute-of-limitations is over, it's safe to say it now:
We waited FOURTEEN ****IN' YEARS to see Mr Incredible BABYSIT????? Evil or Very Mad )

tygerchickchibi wrote:
shabu shabu wrote:

Oh boy, so much to unpack. There are a lot of different universes in the Marvel world. You heard of Spider Gwen, right?
But please look up Miles Morales. He is Spider-Man.

Specifically, he's the alternate-print-canon version of Spiderman that WASN'T sold back to Disney/Marvel.
Just like Spider-Gwen, Peni Parker, Spider-Ham, Spider-Noir and Depressed Post-Breakup Peter Parker.

Hence the entire reason Sony made the film in the first place. They couldn't use the "Richard Parker's scientific conspiracy" canon, since that one had already been used for Sony's "Amazing" reboot movies.
The audience was already cynical about Sony's competing "Spider-tantrum" movies like Venom and Morbius, which is why we were pleasantly shocked to see how good this one turned out to be. With some actual effort and originality put into it by print-comic fans who didn't know what they were doing. Smile

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
It was a technical achievement and also a really great film. It's well-deserved. This isn't the right venue for me to go on about the best picture selection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5