• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gangsta. Manga to 'Probably' Resume Next Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Man, hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get the next chapter published by the next issue. I sure hope his health is getting better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
i like this series alot. like the character designs and the setting. it sounds like its got some publication issues for sure tho. i have a feeling that kohske isnt making enough money off of this to keep going. monthly publishing and a year something hiatus. aint good for business.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
i like this series alot. like the character designs and the setting. it sounds like its got some publication issues for sure tho. i have a feeling that kohske isnt making enough money off of this to keep going. monthly publishing and a year something hiatus. aint good for business.

Money isn't the problem here, it's the author's poor health. There are literally thousands of other manga that people never even heard of that are way less popular than this. The series was popular enough to get an adaptation, so I'm sure the author is doing fine financially.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
#854626 wrote:

Money isn't the problem here, it's the author's poor health. There are literally thousands of other manga that people never even heard of that are way less popular than this. The series was popular enough to get an adaptation, so I'm sure the author is doing fine financially.

Wasn't there a whole thing where she was saying how people pirating the manga is why she couldn't take a vacation? Or am I completely off the mark here? I'm just going off a vague memory.

Also yes she, the author is a woman. I saw the first poster say he, just clearing that up.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Man, hope he doesn't push himself too hard to get the next chapter published by the next issue. I sure hope his health is getting better.

“She.” The mangaka is a woman.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
#854626 wrote:

Wasn't there a whole thing where she was saying how people pirating the manga is why she couldn't take a vacation? Or am I completely off the mark here? I'm just going off a vague memory.

Also yes she, the author is a woman. I saw the first poster say he, just clearing that up.

My bad. I haven't kept up with the series or the author in years, so I forgot (about the gender) and was unaware of her tweets. I just remember that the reason she took that hiatus for over a year was due to health problems and the manga was selling pretty well at the time. I guess with that hiatus and the anime having ended quite some time ago now, the popularity has dwindled. From what I can gather from the tweets, I don't think she's saying she can't keep the series going due to financial problems, but due to piracy she probably only makes enough to get by and not be able to afford luxuries like a vacation. I mean, the series would be cancelled if it wasn't financially viable. Also, I still think her health is a factor, as only releasing one volume a year wouldn't bring in much money. It's probably a combination of the two, where the pay doesn't justify the hard work and the health problems that come with it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
I am curious why the manga-ka doesn't serialize it on 1 of those web manga sites. It certainly would help cut the print costs down and it could reach a wider audience. Even if it was a subscription-based site meant for Japanese audiences with ad support that is seen by non-subscribers , foreign people who understand Japanese could still enjoy it. Also, instead of scanlations, text descriptions of the chapters could be made on fan sites.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Not for vacations, she needs money for her illness, hospitalizations, medication, etc.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Maleko Ai wrote:

Not for vacations, she needs money for her illness, hospitalizations, medication, etc.

I vaguely remember someone at least including a bit about a vacation. Either way I hope she gets the money she needs. I'm not sure how much pirating is a contributing factor, but that's a whole different discussion. I think life in general shouldn't be so difficult, people should be able to go on a vacation and relax, get the medical treatment they need.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:43 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

I vaguely remember someone at least including a bit about a vacation. Either way I hope she gets the money she needs. I'm not sure how much pirating is a contributing factor, but that's a whole different discussion. I think life in general shouldn't be so difficult, people should be able to go on a vacation and relax, get the medical treatment they need.

I'm sure the publisher would cover medical costs, as any injuries are likely work-related. She did mention she would like to go on a vacation when asking people to stop pirating her manga. Piracy is certainly a factor, but probably more so for this series, since right now it's semi-popular (so popular enough that it's wildly pirated but not popular enough to where it doesn't hurt the series) due to constant hiatus'. It's probably just frustrating for her since her manga was popular enough to get an anime adaptation, a spin-off and get licensed overseas, but still can't make enough to afford luxuries (on top of having to constantly battle health issues because of her work).
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I think people underestimate how much a publisher supports or takes care of manga-ka, and how health/medicine work in Japan.

For one, manga-ka pay out of pocket for so much as it is. Combined with the fact that salarymen/OL have such burdensome daily lives and are barely, just now, getting improved? Manga-ka absolutely have to take care of themselves, and given how strenuous and tight their work is? That's really tragic.

I wish her the best! I'd love for the manga to continue and reach its conclusion, but definitely not at the expense of her health.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Manglobe shut down. I would have loved to seen more anime of it made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad Manglobe shut down. I would have loved to seen more anime of it made.

I don't think the studio shutting down is necessarily the problem here, cause they can always get another studio to animate it. It's moreso the lack of content and how well the anime did, that's stopping it from coming back. Trust me when I say that if they really wanted to make another season, they can.
Maleko Ai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Nooo they really made a disaster with the adaptation... Is better a reboot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1