• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
AoA just never learns not to overprice, do they? But I guess there are suck---I mean, customers willing to pay the extra money for a chipboard box and some paltry extras.

If you are too poor to afford a box-set, the anime is available for free online. These sets are for collectors, people who want to own a nice physical boxset that could be compared to the Japanese edition but still want a dub or subtitles on it. Funimation's releases are never worth buying because of how gaudy and low-quality they are for collectors.

Hm. I believe to the contrary. A collector collects as much anime (they're interested in) as possible, and therefore wouldn't spend a lot of money on these exorbitantly priced sets, because it means having less money to buy other anime. That's my collecting philosophy, and I have a pretty large collection.

"Collector's Edition" usually means "money pit".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I lost interest in Brotherhood when Adult Swim began broadcasting it on TV cause of their endless marathons of the 1st series. That and the early story to Brotherhood was an alternate retelling of the early part of the 1st series.

Then I downloaded Brotherhood and had to force myself to finish watching it. Like I had to force myself to watch Gurren Lagann and I still didn't get it. At the end of Brotherhood I was less than impressed. Even the Milos movie couldn't save my interest, even if said movie had Maaya Sakamoto voicing the main female lead.

Aniplex's steep prices for all their are enough to turn anyone away. That, and with a certain VA's current situation, I have little to no interest in Brotherhood.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally not looking to double dip for a nicer box since I'm pretty content with the Funimation blu-rays I have. I don't think this price is terrible in comparison to some of their other releases, but its still fairly steep compared to the rest of the US market for a show almost ten years old.

I'm also usually pretty picky when it comes to buying AoA box sets. I bought Fate/Zero because I love the show too much not to own it, but was burned by their Durarara box set, which had no subtitles for any of the on-screen text/signage (if you've ever seen the show - there's quite a bit).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

If you are too poor to afford a box-set, the anime is available for free online. These sets are for collectors, people who want to own a nice physical boxset that could be compared to the Japanese edition but still want a dub or subtitles on it. Funimation's releases are never worth buying because of how gaudy and low-quality they are for collectors.
The notion that physical media of anime releases should only be for higher class collectors is what encourages this kind of price gouging to begin with and that Brotherhood's streaming expired once is a reminder that anime streaming doesn't last forever. I just don't understand this mindset of creating this artificial "collector's" rarity status for cartoon shows, particularly ones that have been out on the market for the past ten years at actual reasonable prices. It's not like FMA is a Rolex watch or something.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Hm. I believe to the contrary. A collector collects as much anime (they're interested in) as possible, and therefore wouldn't spend a lot of money on these exorbitantly priced sets, because it means having less money to buy other anime. That's my collecting philosophy, and I have a pretty large collection.

"Collector's Edition" usually means "money pit".

Amen to that. I have what at this point can only be described as a pretty massive collection, and the emphasis is on "collection": I want to own as many good anime series as I can, so that means getting as much bang for my buck as I can. I have no desire for big honkin' boxsets that cost way more than they're worth, take up shelf room I don't have, and come with a bunch of silly fluff that I'll probably look at once and then just leave gathering dust somewhere. I'm very glad that I picked up both of FUNi's BD sets for probably less than a quarter of what Aniplex wants for them now when news of them losing the license came out. I'll continue happily not spending a dime on any of AoA's nonsense.

(And no, streaming is not a replacement for buying disks, especially with how volatile the market has become over the past year or two. The only way I can guarantee that I'll be able to legally watch a series 5 or 10 or 15 years down the road is to have an actual physical copy of it.)

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The notion that physical media of anime releases should only be for higher class collectors is what encourages this kind of price gouging to begin with and that Brotherhood's streaming expired once is a reminder that anime streaming doesn't last forever. I just don't understand this mindset of creating this artificial "collector's" rarity status for cartoon shows, particularly ones that have been out on the market for the past ten years at actual reasonable prices. It's not like FMA is a Rolex watch or something.

This too. It's a television show stamped onto plastic and chucked in a cardboard box, not a friggin' Lamborghini.

Last edited by Top Gun on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I might get these box-sets down the road some months later if nothing else more enticing and newer comes along as the price altogether isn't super absurd for a 64 episode series plus OVAs but for now, I'll keep the old Funimation Blu-rays like others.

Still... Who is going to watch the dub version of this or 2003 FMA either ever again given what we know now about Vic Mignogna? I think it pretty much ruins the dub and makes impossible to enjoy.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I hate what Vic Mignogna did too but there are already a lot of other threads to talk about the Vic issue and I'd rather not attract the trolls to this thread.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I will say it again, the price of these AoA sets is not bad. $200 for 64 episodes is a good deal, especially if you consider that Aniplex USA could easily have charged $500 or more for the whole series. Also, the original Funimation BD releases cost around $170 combined.

For those interested in collecting this show, get these sets now because once they go OOP who knows when the series will be back in print...probably never again.

Ummm when you bought set 1 and set 2 from funimation they were only about $40 each. And this was roughly a year or more before they even lost the license. This is definitely still a steep price for an older series.

I was referreing to the origininal 5 BD volumes that Funimation released. The MSRP for each set was $50; I paid around $35 for each one. The two Funi BD rereleases were ofcourse much cheaper. I am honestly surprised that fans are complaining about AoA charging $3 per episode for Brotherhood (they usually charge $10 per episode); Funimation and Sentai typically charge $35-40 for 12 episodes, which also comes to about $3 per episode.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I was referreing to the origininal 5 BD volumes that Funimation released. The MSRP for each set was $50; I paid around $35 for each one. The two Funi BD rereleases were ofcourse much cheaper. I am honestly surprised that fans are complaining about AoA charging $3 per episode for Brotherhood (they usually charge $10 per episode); Funimation and Sentai typically charge $35-40 for 12 episodes, which also comes to about $3 per episode.

Yes, but that's for the initial release of each series. FUNi just about always releases a more condensed version of any multiple-volume series for substantially less per episode, and while Sentai usually takes longer and for less steep of a discount, they usually wind up doing the same. And that's not even counting the fact that both FUNi and Sentai frequently put their catalogs on sale, something that Aniplex almost never does. Hell, Sentai in particular frequently has massive discounts on much of their catalog, to the point where I've wound up getting multiple episodes per dollar for some releases. At the end of the day, Brotherhood is a title that's been widely available in the US market for several years, so charging this much for a new release so long after its heyday is essentially price-gouging.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Still... Who is going to watch the dub version of this or 2003 FMA either ever again given what we know now about Vic Mignogna? I think it pretty much ruins the dub and makes impossible to enjoy.

...I am. Regardless of the kind of person Vic Mignogna is, he still gave a fantastic performance as Edward Elric, and he leads one of my favorite English dubs. I don't support the decisions he's made, but when I'm watching FMA, I'm willing to overlook it.

Still, I understand not wanting to watch the English dub anymore because of him. It's a real shame that Vic Mignogna's reputation has started to cast one of FUNimation's greatest dubs in a bad light. Sad
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Yes, but that's for the initial release of each series. FUNi just about always releases a more condensed version of any multiple-volume series for substantially less per episode, and while Sentai usually takes longer and for less steep of a discount, they usually wind up doing the same. And that's not even counting the fact that both FUNi and Sentai frequently put their catalogs on sale, something that Aniplex almost never does. Hell, Sentai in particular frequently has massive discounts on much of their catalog, to the point where I've wound up getting multiple episodes per dollar for some releases. At the end of the day, Brotherhood is a title that's been widely available in the US market for several years, so charging this much for a new release so long after its heyday is essentially price-gouging.

Definitely this. Charging this much for a rerelease of an anime that's been around for a while and you can still find OOP used copies of online just feels criminal. The only way to justify this pricing would be if they redubbed it or dramatically remastered it, but neither treatment would even be necessary for a title of this age (it's barely five years old).

Unfortunately for me, I sat on purchasing Brotherhood on bluray when it was still in print and settled for used dvd copies right when it went out of print. However, on principal alone, I won't be buying Aniplex's release. I've never been a fan of how they unsympathetically mark up their titles and then claim them as "for collectors" as a justification for it. It irks me even more when they try to justify their pricing by noting they price to match the Japanese market. The US and Japanese anime markets are not the same, and it just feels like you're looking to rub international fans the wrong way by not adapting your pricing model to what is acceptable over here, but I digress.

While calling those willing to buy Aniplex's overpriced release "suckers" might be harsh, I can't help but feel that by not collectively banding together and not supporting releases like this, we're sending the wrong message to Aniplex and thus they'll never amend their pricing strategy to be more in line with what nearly every other licensing company is doing.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
The only way to justify this pricing would be if they redubbed it or dramatically remastered it, but neither treatment would even be necessary for a title of this age (it's barely five years old).

Something tells me that if AoA had indeed redubbed and/or done some kind of remastering to Brotherhood the people complaining about price gouging would keep saying that $200 is too much.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
The only way to justify this pricing would be if they redubbed it or dramatically remastered it, but neither treatment would even be necessary for a title of this age (it's barely five years old).

Something tells me that if AoA had indeed redubbed and/or done some kind of remastering to Brotherhood the people complaining about price gouging would keep saying that $200 is too much.

If anything AoA would have charged MORE for doing that. Their business model just isn't that good for a casual consumer IMO. People like to stan them and say they are just for "collectors" but that really just alienates the wider fanbase who aren't trying to spend a grip for half of a series or less.

Hell, the only things I own from them were Kill la Kill (which was 5 sets containing 4 episodes each for 60 bucks a set), World Conquest Zvezda Plot, and the first Heaven's Feel movie.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
I lost interest in Brotherhood when Adult Swim began broadcasting it on TV cause of their endless marathons of the 1st series. That and the early story to Brotherhood was an alternate retelling of the early part of the 1st series.

Then I downloaded Brotherhood and had to force myself to finish watching it. Like I had to force myself to watch Gurren Lagann and I still didn't get it. At the end of Brotherhood I was less than impressed. Even the Milos movie couldn't save my interest, even if said movie had Maaya Sakamoto voicing the main female lead.

Aniplex's steep prices for all their are enough to turn anyone away. That, and with a certain VA's current situation, I have little to no interest in Brotherhood.

Why are you here then if you’ve never had any interest in the box set due to already not liking the show? Seems rather pointless if it’s all just to complain about a show you don’t like.

And it’s not like watching the dub is your only option. I believe there’s multiple languages here.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone compared or seen any comparisons of this release to Funi's? I'm genuinely curious if there's any noticeable difference.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5