• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Blu-Ray Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Or maybe to put it another way, while "true fans" of one series and one series alone might burn a ton of money on said series, fans of anime as a whole spread their money around to a lot of series they love. That means getting the most bang for our buck, and waiting for titles to go on sale so that we can own more of what we love.

I disagree with the notion of getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to collecting anime. I like collecting anime on disc, but I only buy the ones that I like the most. I have taken advantage of sales at Right Stuf, but I have sometimes bought shows that I don't care much for. I could fill my shelves with deeply discounted releases and not buy expensive box sets. But I know that I would have regretted not buying stuff like Monogatari, Your Lie in April, Sentai's Chuunibyou LE releases.

I also would like for Aniplex USA to adjust their pricing model to be more in line with other U.S. publishers. But I will rather buy something from them once in a while rather than boycotting. There are no true fans or false fans; every fan is different and should be able to spend their money on anime however they want to.
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Y'all still don't get. I'll just leave it at that.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The biggest problem with all the arguments attempting to justify Aniplex's pricing model is that the US is liike the only country where they charge this much for their shows. You look at all the Anime Limited releases of Aniplex shows in places like the UK and the prices for their shows are much more reasonable and in line with the rest of the international industry's standards. If the higher price was really so necessary for Aniplex to put out a high quality set or to prevent reverse importation or whatever argument Aniplex uses, they would have the same consistent pricing model everywhere for their shows but they don't. It's sort of like how Netflix only does the binge watch drop model for their anime shows in the US but has no problem simulcasting in all other English speaking territories.

But are the AL releases as fancy? All Aniplex releases come with fancy packaging and usually have art cards or soundtracks or booklets.
AL etc do more simple releases which therefore lowers costs.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
But are the AL releases as fancy? All Aniplex releases come with fancy packaging and usually have art cards or soundtracks or booklets.
AL etc do more simple releases which therefore lowers costs.

And to a lot of people, that's exactly the point. Some of us just want the show itself in simple packaging so that it doesn't take up too much room on the shelf.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Don't tell me it's a brand new English dub, right?
lycopene

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Don't tell me it's a brand new English dub, right?

Nope
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Unless you have a massive amount of money, or are deeply irresponsible with money, I don’t believe constantly buying these prestige releases is very conducive to collecting. At some point you’re just getting them to say you got them. You’re collecting clout, not anime.

And this is why Japan values it's own market over the American market. Japanese fans plop down hundreds for a show they love, which in turn rewards the creators for their work and ensures more installments of said franchise, while we're wringing our hands and refusing to buy anything but a budget boxset and insult those who do. Add y'all wonder why producers are so dismissive of the American fanbase.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Unless you have a massive amount of money, or are deeply irresponsible with money, I don’t believe constantly buying these prestige releases is very conducive to collecting. At some point you’re just getting them to say you got them. You’re collecting clout, not anime.

And this is why Japan values it's own market over the American market. Japanese fans plop down hundreds for a show they love, which in turn rewards the creators for their work and ensures more installments of said franchise, while we're wringing our hands and refusing to buy anything but a budget boxset and insult those who do. Add y'all wonder why producers are so dismissive of the American fanbase.

Well, first of all, that extra money isn't going into the pockets of the animators, writers, and directors. It's filling the pockets of greedy corporate psychopaths at the top. You've seen how little animators make, right? "Trickle down" is largely nonsense.

Second, a lot of Japanese fans seem to be either push-overs or prestige buyers.They shouldn't be paying these obscene prices, either, but they rarely speak up because it's just the way things are.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:13 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Also consider that the Japanese otaku crowd is fairly insular. That is to say the whole of the Japanese anime industry is being held up by these collectors who are spending fistfuls of money on boxsets and collectibles, but this consumer base isn't growing and thus this model isn't sustainable. The Japanese industry may be dismissive of overseas fans, but their disdain does not come from a position of smart business sense as much as it comes from a place of rigid stubbornness, clinging to tradition, and being strongly adverse to change. Streaming has brought them an incredible opportunity to greatly capitalize on and grow the industry both inside and outside of Japan and for that they should be thankful for their international audience because things were looking very bleak around the time of the bubble bursting and for several yeas after that.

Anyway, tl;dr the model of price gouging physical media is neither a sensible or sustainable way to drive profits, and I think they'd be wise to stop relying on those tactics and start making decisions that aren't based in fear or clinging to old antiquated methods that are no longer relevant to what the industry and the fanbase looks like now.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:

Meanwhile the money gets taken up by production committees while anime studios in Japan still literally work their animation staff to death and never give them a decent paying salary. Whether you're fine with purchasing Aniplex titles or not is up to you, but let's not pretend the Japanese market is somehow more pure and saintly or that buying post cards for $100 somehow helps improves the lives of animators.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
So FMA Brotherhood is 64 episodes, not including a 4 episode OVA and 1 movie.
Aniplex is selling the first half (30 episodes) for $124.98 and as of this post can be acquired on Rightstuf for $99.98.
Let's round that up to $100 for 30 episodes (technically 32 episodes including 2 OVA's)

Now let's break down the current trends in pricing.. most anime series are 1 cour (12-13 episodes) and are priced $40-45 with some going as higher for LE sets.

So let's do some basic math I'll say 13 episodes @ $40 (I'll take the conservative numbers) that puts 26 episodes at $80. Factor in another disc of 6 episodes at give or take $20 and you get to $100 pretty easily.

The 2nd Half are episodes 31-64 (33 episodes) plus 2 OVA episodes. Doing the same math formula again you end up with an even better pricing model on this 2nd half.

The logic is there.. these are not overpriced in comparison to the going rates of other titles. If you like this series and yet to own it then get it. If not then pass.

The argument of this is a XX year old series is also flawed and stating that an old series is somehow worth less then a newer title doesn't cut the proverbial mustard. Value is dependent on fanbase.. FMA has a very large fanbase so it's value does not diminish.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
Most collectors editions I see from companies are like $60+ for 12-13 episodes. My old NISA ones were all around that price. I actually bought the first 13 episode, barebones release Funi did and it was $40-50.

30 episodes, nearly 3 cours worth, for $100 in a collectors edition doesn't seem like a terrible deal to me. So much anime is $40-60 for 12 episodes and it might be a really basic release with nothing nice in it. I don't understand how this is a bad deal when you do the math and look at what anime sales for vs what this is selling for.

Everything isn't going to be a $20 S.A.V.E. Hell, most things from Funimation, creator of the S.A.V.E., aren't S.A.V.E. pricing.

Zeino wrote:
Still... Who is going to watch the dub version of this or 2003 FMA either ever again given what we know now about Vic Mignogna?

I will. FMA is an awesome anime. One of my favorites.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The logic is there.. these are not overpriced in comparison to the going rates of other titles. If you like this series and yet to own it then get it. If not then pass.

The argument of this is a XX year old series is also flawed and stating that an old series is somehow worth less then a newer title doesn't cut the proverbial mustard. Value is dependent on fanbase.. FMA has a very large fanbase so it's value does not diminish.
I literally bought the Funimation release of Brotherhood for $60 on Amazon for 64 episodes.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I literally bought the Funimation release of Brotherhood for $60 on Amazon for 64 episodes.

Congrats, give yourself a pat on the back and i'd offer you a cookie if you were local.

I'd pay the lesser amount as well, but Funi's version is OOP. If you can find it again, go for it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Congrats, give yourself a pat on the back and i'd offer you a cookie if you were local.

I'd pay the lesser amount as well, but Funi's version is OOP. If you can find it again, go for it.
Used copies are pretty easy to find on eBay if people just search for it. Fans always seem to act like all OOP anime are equally rare when they're not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5