• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III Gets New Mine Fujiko no Uso Anime Film in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Fujiko has nothing to hide. Wink
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Give it back to Sayo Yamamoto, you cowards.

Yamamoto was bad at writing Fujiko. She didn't really seem to understand the character. Her series wasn't very well received among the fanbase. I'm happy they switched to Takahashi.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Yamamoto was bad at writing Fujiko. She didn't really seem to understand the character. Her series wasn't very well received among the fanbase. I'm happy they switched to Takahashi.

Rolling Eyes
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Hell YES!

1dbad wrote:
Excited for another Fujiko-centric Lupin project.

Yup!!
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Yamamoto was bad at writing Fujiko.

Mari Okada was the headwriter for The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, not Yamamoto. (Yamamoto was the director)
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
^And Mari Okada has always been hit or miss, pretty much up there with Yasuko Kobayashi for the tokusatsu fans.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Sayo Yamamoto and Mari Okada's Fujiko Mine anime is my single favorite Lupin thing of all time, so I'm sad that they are both probably too busy to tackle this. And I do think it was strong because of the combination of their talents: there are specific themes in TWCFM that you can find in both Yamamoto and Okada's other stuff, but it's the mix of all them in that show that makes it so special. Yamamoto is a fantastic and auteur-esque director, but she's also good at choosing strong writers who play well with her tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
[quote="shabu shabu"]
Animegunclub wrote:

Yamamoto was bad at writing Fujiko. She didn't really seem to understand the character. Her series wasn't very well received among the fanbase. I'm happy they switched to Takahashi.[/quote

The way Fujiko has been written has varied from project to project for decades, as has the tone of the series.

I'm not sure how I feel about this announcement. I adore The Woman Called Fujiko Mine but I thought the Koike episodes were some of the weakest of the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The final twist/ending of The Woman Called Fujiko was controversial, because many thought it was a lot of build up for a cop-out. I can see where they're coming from, but I personally found it justified based on the context of the twist and the character of Fujiko.

Even though it took me a few watches to like him, I sort of wish Oscar would return for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The final twist/ending of The Woman Called Fujiko was controversial, because many thought it was a lot of build up for a cop-out. I can see where they're coming from, but I personally found it justified based on the context of the twist and the character of Fujiko.

Even though it took me a few watches to like him, I sort of wish Oscar would return for this.

Really? I thought it was the opposite of a cop-out. I was frustrated at how Fujiko was getting more and more sidelined in her own show and the ending twist made everything suddenly make sense. Yamamoto's ending was a powerful statement about how women's stories are co-opted and controlled by patriarchal systems. It was incredible.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. Yamamoto is good at last-second "twists" that feel like a cop-out... until you rewatch the series from the beginning and realize they were always building to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2