• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Psycho-Pass Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 am Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Guys, I wouldn't be worried about it being as bad as season 2, since Production I.G. will be handling this. For those who don't know, season 2 was animated by Tatsunoko Production, so things should be fine now that the original staff are working on it.

Tatsunoko is a good studio and the animation or production itself was never the problem of season 2. Also, Production I.G. was involved in S2, see production committee.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:
Guys, I wouldn't be worried about it being as bad as season 2, since Production I.G. will be handling this. For those who don't know, season 2 was animated by Tatsunoko Production, so things should be fine now that the original staff are working on it.

Tatsunoko is a good studio and the animation or production itself was never the problem of season 2. Also, Production I.G. was involved in S2, see production committee.

I'm not saying they're a bad studio, but because it was a different studio, it's almost completely different staff. And yes, I know Production I.G. had some small involvement, but not much (there's a reason why they weren't the main studio handling it), and that's not the same as them actually working on it. And when I say animation, I meant the production, not the actually animation itself.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
I just need Akane and Kogami back. Please. I need those two in my life.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
PP makers still doesn't get it...

WE DO NOT NEED OTHER PROTAGONIST(S)... WE ONLY WANT KOUGAMI!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
Do I have to see the second season now to know what will happen? I skipped over it because of the overwhelming negative reviews, I'm sort of hoping that this makes season 2 none canon.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

^^This. I honestly just need Akane and Kogami. Please.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
You just need to put Ubukata in a place far away from this and we are good.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
As much as I'd love to dive back into this world, everything I've read about s2 makes me intensely wary.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
If Urobuchi is writing it I am interested. If not I will wait and see. Season 1 is one of the best anime series I have ever watched, but the stuff after it has not been good or interesting.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:

The production team is less important than the writer. If they've for Gen coming back, I'll be optimistic, but if it's Ubukata or some other guy they chose at random, it'll take a lot to get me interested.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Just let them unplug the Sybil System at the end of this, the series doesn't need to go on forever.
Martin G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I loved the second season. It's not as good as season 1 but still great. And I was surprised since I'm not a fan of Ubukuta (Mardock Scramble is terrible). Looking forward to the three new movies and season 3.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:09 pm Reply with quote
People still don't realize that S2 was screwed from its inception due to the decision to do both it and the movie at the same time? They couldn't really do much with the existing characters precisely because of the movie.

I thought the movie was fairly meh too; I enjoyed S2 more personally. The only thing that's fairly solid is the first season. Both S2 and the movie have the sames issues I find; its just that S2 has it more 'raw' so to speak.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:

I'm not saying they're a bad studio, but because it was a different studio, it's almost completely different staff. And yes, I know Production I.G. had some small involvement, but not much (there's a reason why they weren't the main studio handling it), and that's not the same as them actually working on it. And when I say animation, I meant the production, not the actually animation itself.

In general, it is a terribly misquided endeavor to assume that studio equals staff. In this industry, that is not the case. Staff are largely freelance and move from project to project based on who is paying them, not on which animation studio happens to be hired for the job. Animation studios are, similarly, contractors, rather than owners of most franchises they animate. This means that conflating an animation studio with the writing staff of a particular show is quite wrongheaded. They just make the animation. And because of that, your statement that the staff was completely different because it was at a different studio is markedly false. The script writer, director, series composer, original creator, and every other staff member involved with writing the project for the series are not hired by or paid by Tatsunoko or Production IG, they are paid by the production committee, and they have nothing to do with the studios they are temporarily working with. For example, I would like you to note that Naoyoshi Shiotani, the director of Psycho-Pass, returned to hold the same role for season 2, and Katsuyuki Motohiro, the chief director of Psycho Pass, even while directing the movie at IG, was also involved. Technically Urobuchi even returned, though with much less involvement. I would further like to direct you to the "compare staff" page for Psycho-Pass and Psycho-Pass 2. As you'll see, there is a VERY long list of the same staff members both on the production/producer side, and the writing side. This includes the exact same production committee, and the name George Wada, who is the real name you should be paying attention to here. He is a very big name within the industry and holds a lot more influence over the staff than any animation studio involved with a typical anime production.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

After the first film, his story arc was wrapped up. Their is no reason to bring Kougami back at this point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4