• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime Reveals Japanese Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:00 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Call me a Toru Furuya fanboy but no Furuya = No watch. I like Mortia but he doesn't give the Seiya vibe that Furuya established.

I would have preferred they go with the Omega cast which was better IMHO and at least featured Furuya and Mami Koyama (Shaina) for their original roles.

You get it also Netflix go to hell with this Shun change Shonen Jump Weekly BS crap ! Evil or Very Mad
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:37 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Majin Tenshi wrote:
Call me a Toru Furuya fanboy but no Furuya = No watch. I like Mortia but he doesn't give the Seiya vibe that Furuya established.

I would have preferred they go with the Omega cast which was better IMHO and at least featured Furuya and Mami Koyama (Shaina) for their original roles.

You get it also Netflix go to hell with this Shun change Shonen Jump Weekly BS crap ! Evil or Very Mad

Oh that too of course that's why i was referring to the Omega cast, having Hiroshi Kamiya reprise the role Shun. I still believe that Ryo Horikawa can easily deliver Shun but i am cool with Kamiya taking over the role (not that !@#$%^ from the Inferno series). But that's even worse Crying or Very sad
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I think the reason Furuya returned into Omega was primarily because of how iconic his voice is, and Seiya was older, plus he was now a leading Gold Saint.

Beside him, only Koyama returned as Shaina, and Hori as Tatsumi, not sure for anyone else.

There can be multiple reasons why they were recasted once again the rest of original Bronzes, but, IMO, that's probably because Hiroshi Kamiya (Shun), Mamoru Miyano (Hyoga), and Tomokazu Sugita (Ikki) were probably at their most popular around the time Omega aired, especially Kamiya.

Even older, Shun still has rather feminine appearance, unlike Hattori from Detective Conan, so aged Ryo Horikawa once again voicing him probably wouldn't work, but who knows.

Koichi Hashimoto is both too old to reprise his role as Hyoga, and for a while now he was mostly only Kuro in One Piece.
Miyano being new Hyoga was a good choice, and his voice was popular enough for such famous old school anime hero.

Sugita was just amazing as Ikki (arguably the most popular Saint Seiya character), even though I do believe Katsuyuki Konishi could have voice him too.
Actually, maybe even his original seiyu Hideyuki Hori.
I still from time to time rewatch some parts of Omega with Ikki, and it's incredible how much he made him his own, he put so much passion into this role.

As for Ken Narita being Shiryu, if I'm not mistaken, Narita in general inherited some other roles from late Hirotaka Suzuoki, they have very similar voices.

The thing with original Bronzes in Omega was that despite they being quite older, their appearances were still pretty much same as when they were teenagers, so aside from Furuya who still manages to sound young, it would be hard for the rest of cast to do the same, except maybe Hori.
Narita is different, because he sounds very much like 80s/90s Suzuoki.

Great analysis on the seiyuu part of Saint Seiyuu....errr i mean Saint Seiya Smile

I agree that the Omega cast was probably the best way moving forward in the same fashion of Lupin/Sailor Moon/Gundam Origin. Which bringing 1-2 from the original seiyuu (that ones that matters the most) and recast the rest.

I recall reading that the fandom hated the Inferno/Elyson cast....i wonder if that's still the case because it seems that they are here to stay Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2