• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Corus Entertainment Launches 24-Hour Adult Swim Channel in Canada on April 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:52 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Adult Swim is that they have a history of using April Fools day as a means of testing viewer response. Remember when they brought Toonami back? That started as an April Fools prank.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I would really love to have this channel but we haven't paid to see cable in a while. What with all the cord-cutting around, I'm wondering if I should just watch all my favorite animated series on Blu-ray or see if they can release it all on a streaming service or even iTunes.

Good luck to those who can afford cable 'cause here in Canada I absolutely hate how much Bell Media charges for it.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:03 am Reply with quote
if the US would make Adult swim into it's own channel then not only would we get 24 hour AS but Cartoon network could go back to being a 24 hour network like it used to be.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 am Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
I would really love to have this channel but we haven't paid to see cable in a while. What with all the cord-cutting around, I'm wondering if I should just watch all my favorite animated series on Blu-ray or see if they can release it all on a streaming service or even iTunes

All Adult Swim original content is available to purchase on iTunes and Google Play, but... that isn't exactly an inexpensive option...
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
if the US would make Adult swim into it's own channel then not only would we get 24 hour AS but Cartoon network could go back to being a 24 hour network like it used to be.
If Adult Swim split off and became its own channel in the US, it might no longer be available in most basic-tier cable packages. It would probably be put on a higher-tier like Boomerang is and therefore be an extra expense for the average consumer. The advantage of it channel-sharing with Cartoon Network is beneficial in terms of audience numbers.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
The thing with Adult Swim is that they have a history of using April Fools day as a means of testing viewer response. Remember when they brought Toonami back? That started as an April Fools prank.

I'm not sure what you're implying here. The channel isn't a prank? Warner isn't really going to be involved with this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

........Cartoon Network is still for the most part a network dedicated to running animation 24 hours a day even if Adult Swim runs those goofy live action shows they used to run on thurdays/fridays (which I don't know if they do anymore).

They never truly moved away from this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

........Cartoon Network is still for the most part a network dedicated to running animation 24 hours a day even if Adult Swim runs those goofy live action shows they used to run on thurdays/fridays (which I don't know if they do anymore).

theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
theNightster wrote:

they still do, the live action shows will run on the death time slot 4 in the morning during the week while on Friday and Sunday they're given better time slots for premiers presumably
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
theNightster wrote:
If Adult Swim split off and became its own channel in the US, it might no longer be available in most basic-tier cable packages. It would probably be put on a higher-tier like Boomerang is and therefore be an extra expense for the average consumer. The advantage of it channel-sharing with Cartoon Network is beneficial in terms of audience numbers.

That's very true. Spectrum is f$&#ing ridiculous about this. All of the Viacom "junk" networks got thrown on the highest tier and these SOB's want $40 more for those back which is robbery given that some of those channels should be on the lower tiers and about a year or so ago Viacom wanted to keep the channels where they were but lower the costs to where we as the customers wouldn't have to pay so much but Spectrum pretty much strong armed them and they relented resulting in the mess we have today. I really hate that, but the vast majority of those channels were what the industry calls "burn-off" or rotation networks with little to no new content on them anyway. Here's more reading on that topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_off

Spectrum also starting this year took out all of the premium channels on the tiers and are selling them separately from them too. The pricing is even stupider with HBO & Showtime's networks being the most expensive at $12.99 a pop and the cheapest ones being EPIX & Disney Family at $4.99 which may as well be free as no one watches those things anyway!

Hypothetically, AS as a separate channel would probable being on the Gold tier with the rest of those "junk" channels and no one unless they had the cash could watch it killing the viewership and the long term viability of the network. I think what's happening now is working and should stay that way.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:

I'm not sure what you're implying here. The channel isn't a prank? Warner isn't really going to be involved with this.

I'm not saying it's a prank. I'm saying that Adult Swim has used April fools day as a means of gauging certain decisions.

Like I said, when they brought Toonami back a few years ago, it was on April 1st and done for one night only as a prank. But the response was so overwhelmingly positive that they reinstated it as a full-blown programming block.

I'm not saying that this is what's happening here. After all, it isn't the same network. I'm just pointing out that Adult Swim has a history of starting big projects on April 1st.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
If this ends up being true, then this is as close as we've ever gotten to having anime back on Canadian television in the last decade.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2