• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Girls Gotta Go Fast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Green Luthor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
You had never heard of sidecar racing? You should really watch Ah! My Goddess: The Movie.

Also, I'd like to join everyone else in saying I liked the polls. I do otherwise like the new layout with it's focus on images though.

Alternatively, you can watch 1969's Five the Hard Way, with Ross Hagen and Michael Pataki. (Though you probably shouldn't. Unless you're watching s02e02 of Mystery Science Theater 3000, with the movie's alternate title, The Sidehackers. It's... not a good movie.)
Misopup

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes. Please bring back the polls.
They were fun and even enlightening at times
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see a shoutout for AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue. a charming show that doesn't get near enough attention.

Quote:
We just wanted to liven it up a bit with a fresh coat of paint (see the new banner graphic)

Yeah, that one isn't a success... That vertical line coming out of the "h" in "The" looks like ass. (One the first things I teach people when teaching photography - check all your lines.)

Also joining in the general call to bring back the polls.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
The registry agencies usually prohibit duplication of used names. As a result all of the non silly names were taken years ago.

Well, the founding Thoroughbred's were only known by their owner's names and the horse's origins, like Byerly Turk or Darley Arabian. I'm not sure when they started registering them with actual names, but by then "pet" names were off the table, so I think they've always had a lot of silly names.

The other thing about why the names are so odd is that they're often named to acknowledge their pedigree to an extent. From Kentucky Derby winners for example, Funny Cide's sire was Distorted Humor, and his dam (mother) was Belle's Good Cide. Her sire was Slewacide, who was a son of Seattle Slew. Mine That Bird was sired by Birdstone (son of Grindstone), and his dam was Mining My Own, daughter of Smart Strike. I think they might also have been going for a mynah bird pun. Smile

Btw, both Special Week and Silence Suzuka were sired by Sunday Silence, so they were half brothers (or sisters in the anime).

I also forgot to give a shout out to Bakuon!! before. The fan service I was there for was all the bikes and they were fabulous. Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
Last week I randomly picked up a badly subbed bootleg DVD of the AH My Goddess movie for a dollar at a Goodwill. It's a show I know just a tiny bit about. It's a harem/ non-harem, I know some names, and vaguely that it features a University mootor-speed club.
I only got through about 5-10 minutes before storing it for later, but just enough to be a bit surprised to see Keiichi and Belldandy ride in for a club introductory presentation on a very low sidecar racer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 pm Reply with quote
At this late date, this is largely academic: There's a typo in the last .
The sentence
Quote:
Each morning, he two compete on their bikes to get to school first.
should instead read:
Quote:
Each morning, the two compete on their bikes to get to school first.
Hidders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
The polls were the only thing that got me to click on list topics I didn't care about...
_ト ̄|o . . . _| ̄|o . . . _П○ . . . _л。
...Like this current topic. (-_-')
Quote:
The List is still a countdown of anime, manga, and video game things.
A numberless countdown? Rolling Eyes I think you could have just left it at calling it a list.

I'm guessing ANN's catering to the mobile users exclusively now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
Could we at least know the results of the last poll? :/
KariOhki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah, describing Battle Athletes Victory as "bonkers" is about right, especially (ending spoilers) spoiler[after episode 24 or so when the aliens come back, and then that last minute twist about Mr. Miracle's assistant and Akari's mother getting revived]. The original OVA is a bit more grounded, though it also has an uh, interesting twist about a character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2