Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hototogisu GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shosakukan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...a specific bird much revered in Japanese literature since its appearance in the 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshun[sic],

Have you ever read Man'yōshū and Kokin Wakashū in the original?
Your expression 'since' sounds as if the earliest Japanese literary example in which the bird hototogisu appeared had been the 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshu. But actually, Man'yōshū has more than 150 poems in which hototogisu appears, and Kokin Wakashū has more than 40 poems in which hototogisu appears.
The 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshu might be a 'convenient' example when you talk to lower-middlebrow gaijin who have watched the Chihayafuru anime and whose meagre knowledge of Japanese classical poetry is limited to Hyakunin Isshu, but if you use the word 'since', it is better for you to check when Man'yōshū and Kokin Wakashū were compiled and when Tokudaiji Sanesada was born.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...the 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshun[sic], which is quoted at the end of the series...

Hmm...you mean the 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshu's having been quoted at the end of the Hototogisu manga and/or the Hototogisu novel? I have read the Hototogisu novel and the Hototogisu manga in the original, but it seems that the 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshu have been not quoted at the ends of them, if I remember correctly.
Princess_Irene

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:

The 81st poem of the Hyakunin Isshu might be a 'convenient' example when you talk to lower-middlebrow gaijin who have watched the Chihayafuru anime and whose meagre knowledge of Japanese classical poetry is limited to Hyakunin Isshu, but if you use the word 'since', it is better for you to check when Man'yōshū and Kokin Wakashū were compiled and when Tokudaiji Sanesada was born.

I'm sorry if I offended you with my use of "since;" the intention was to give an accessible example for a majority of readers, not to appeal to a "lower-middlebrow" understanding of classical Japanese poetry. In the context of where this review was being published, it did not seem wise to assume too much academic knowledge of a specific area of literature, regardless of what culture it originated in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1