• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Announces Dragon's Dogma, Wit Studio's Vampire in the Garden, BONES' Super Crooks Anim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
I'm just curious, why do a large majority of anime fans hate CGI anime so much? And how is them producing CGI anime mismarketing anime correctly to a global audience? I'm asking these as someone who has watched four CGI productions (Danchi Tomoo, The Snack World, Stand By Me Doraemon, and the trailer to the upcoming Netflix-exclusive Saint Seiya) and found all of them pretty appealing to look at.

For the more industry savvy, CG is seen as lazy and lifeless animation. All you have to do is create a model once and then move that model to animated it, and it limits the type of animation you can do when all your animation hinges upon models. If you've ever watched a number of Pixar movies, you'll notice they reuse character and object models all the time. Traditional animation is done frame by frame and allows for more dynamic and expressive animation with no limitations or hindrances. But for most people, it just looks unappealing and unwarranted. Remember, anime never abandoned traditional animation like western animation did, so it's fanbase has not gone through the growing pains westerners did when CG initially took over the western industry in the early 2000s. There was a lot of push back to CG back then, but their complains went unnoticed.

It's seen as marketing to a global audience because most animation in the west is CG these days. It will blend in with it's American peers more and not stand out like traditional anime art style does. Anime artstyle is a real turn off for the average westerner, and something more familiar to them may be what gets them to watch a Japanese work, even if it's by accident.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:08 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
meiam wrote:
(it took decades for traditional anime to figure out how to look good, it'll take just as long with CGI).

Well no actually, we already have lots of good to exemplary CG examples, even coming from Japan. So we know how to make it look good.

Not quite the same things, traditional anime as robust library of example, whatever you want to do (across various style, setting, camera shoot, desired emotion and so on) you can find an easy example that did exactly that and pulled it off, you can just copy it (and this can be expended into theory and such that can be taught).

CGI doesn't have that luxury in most case, if they want to make it look good they have to either limit themselves to the small sample of case where it worked or arduously figure it out for the particular case there trying to make.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:51 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I think Capcom might have misread the gamers' demands for a sequel.

Supposedly it was one of two games DMC5's producer had the choice of making.

Firefly251 wrote:

is it wrong that I assume by this alone its gonna be awful?

Not really given that with the exception of the seven deadly sins part that's pretty much how the original game's story worked. And yes was just as weak as that synopsis describes the anime?

MexRAGE wrote:
If they gonna make the Dragon's Dogma animated series CGI, they should just make the assets (scanning real world objects and people) and render everything in the RE engine, DMCV cutscenes already looks better than most CGI anyway. Hell, that way they could just reuse the assets into a possible sequel, or use assets from a possible sequel into the animated series

Yeah no I'd rather not have a new DD game veering into uncanny valley like DMC5.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I really wish I could talk to the people in charge of Anime at Netflix and point out to them, that while yes there are some people who do like 3D Anime, a large majority do not, and therefore they are not marketing Anime correctly to a global audience(which I assume is their goal) when producing or licensing them.

A large majority of them either hate them due to being old school or because the 3D animes tend to not be animated properly. So listening to them isn't really logical.

MarshalBanana wrote:
It's shame really, they could give Bones a ton of money to make a slickly put together Mecha show,

Don't we have enough mech shows as is?

gloverrandal wrote:
Remember, anime never abandoned traditional animation like western animation did,

I remember that traditional animation is still a thing in the west even if some people actually think it's been abandoned like HD-DVD's were the last generation. I mean if we're talking movie releases that's true to an extent but not where TV shows are concerned with has both traditional and cg.

gloverrandal wrote:

It's seen as marketing to a global audience because most animation in the west is CG these days. It will blend in with it's American peers more and not stand out like traditional anime art style does. Anime artstyle is a real turn off for the average westerner,

Actually even traditional animation in general can be considered a turn off for westerners due to the stigma that animation is for kids.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Dragon's Dogma had a proper story and characters? I must have missed all of that despite finishing the game. I don´t know about this one Capcom but the success of DmC 5 will at least lead to a sequel game. On the PS5 that is... This "ad campaign" is though half a decade too early.
The Super Crooks comic is nothing special btw. and could be adapted in it´s entirety within 50 or so minutes. It´s only 80 pages long after all. Netflix is so weird when it comes to anime. I legit don´t get their bigness model, outside of buying random geek licenses.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I really wish I could talk to the people in charge of Anime at Netflix and point out to them, that while yes there are some people who do like 3D Anime, a large majority do not, and therefore they are not marketing Anime correctly to a global audience(which I assume is their goal) when producing or licensing them.

I'm just curious, why do a large majority of anime fans hate CGI anime so much? And how is them producing CGI anime mismarketing anime correctly to a global audience? I'm asking these as someone who has watched four CGI productions (Danchi Tomoo, The Snack World, Stand By Me Doraemon, and the trailer to the upcoming Netflix-exclusive Saint Seiya) and found all of them pretty appealing to look at.

Cause there's a very long list of terrible CGI show and an incredibly small one of decent ish with almost none considered visually on par with the masterwork of traditional animation. CGI is also usually used when they're trying to make the show as cheaply as possible, this usually mean that the people involved are either not very committed to the project or new/inexperience one. CGI is also new, so even experienced director don't really know how to use it, so they either use it the same way traditional animation is done, which yield terrible results or they try something new, which sometime work but mostly fails (it took decades for traditional anime to figure out how to look good, it'll take just as long with CGI).

I'm fine with the rest of your comment, but my dedication to spreading the truth of anime production forces me to take issue with the bolded section. CG is actually more expensive than 2D animation in practice. It is primarily chosen as the animation type of choice when there are not enough 2D animators capable of handling the amount of mechanical/technical animation in a project, there are a lot of battle/crowd scenes, or the amount of movement necessary would be unfeasible with 2D animation unless they had an impractical amount of time. It may look cheaper, but it's not.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

A large majority of them either hate them due to being old school or because the 3D animes tend to not be animated properly. So listening to them isn't really logical.
That is harsh do you not think so, not listening to them because you find there comments dismissive. Minimising CG would do well for so many shows, and as for the actual 3D shows, there presences is not wanted. Listening to these people would do Netflix very well.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's shame really, they could give Bones a ton of money to make a slickly put together Mecha show,

Don't we have enough mech shows as is?
Per my comment I am of course referring to shows without CG mechs, which at the moment is most show not by Sunrise. Yet bones have made Mech shows in the past.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
that is harsh do you not think so,

Reality is supposed to be harsh every now and then.

MarshalBanana wrote:

not listening to them because you find there comments dismissive.

Not simply because the comments are dismissive but companies listening to people who have negative reactions over things they don't like for trite reasons can actually cause problems rather than fix them. And just because they might not like it doesn't mean there aren't people who do.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Minimising CG would do well for so many shows,

Not if the show has bad writing, bad direction, or bad animation.

MarshalBanana wrote:

and as for the actual 3D shows, there presences is not wanted. Listening to these people would do Netflix very well.

Once again just because a certain segment of fans doesn't like 3D animation doesn't mean there's no audience for it so listening to the people who don't like 3D animation because it's 3D animation would simply be dumb.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
that is harsh do you not think so,

Reality is supposed to be harsh every now and then.

MarshalBanana wrote:

not listening to them because you find there comments dismissive.

Not simply because the comments are dismissive but companies listening to people who have negative reactions over things they don't like for trite reasons can actually cause problems rather than fix them. And just because they might not like it doesn't mean there aren't people who do.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Minimising CG would do well for so many shows,

Not if the show has bad writing, bad direction, or bad animation.

MarshalBanana wrote:

and as for the actual 3D shows, there presences is not wanted. Listening to these people would do Netflix very well.

Once again just because a certain segment of fans doesn't like 3D animation doesn't mean there's no audience for it so listening to the people who don't like 3D animation because it's 3D animation would simply be dumb.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
@BadNewsBlues Lets be honest most of the people who defend 3D Anime, do so because they say it is as bad as people say, not a preference over traditional animation(I stated multiple times that some people do like it, so please stop keep telling me that). So Netflix looses nothing by not acquiring or funding these titles. And they stand to gain having a better reputation, and possibly a better exclusive library, rather than a load rubbish from Polygon Pictures.

They could have done for example a new Ghost in the Shell entry, that's not SAC_2045, which would make everyone happy, the people who don't like 3D and the people who don't mind 3D. So Netflix, if they ever do hear what people say, would do well to listen, since this is trite, but important and valid feedback. you do want Anime under Netflix to be as good as possible right?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@BadNewsBlues Lets be honest most of the people who defend 3D Anime, do so because they say it is as bad as people say, not a preference over traditional animation(I stated multiple times that some people do like it, so please stop keep telling me that). So Netflix looses nothing by not acquiring or funding these titles. And they stand to gain having a better reputation, and possibly a better exclusive library, rather than a load rubbish from Polygon Pictures.
Knights of Sidonia was a great series and in my opinion what matters most is the quality of the story. There are a lot of anime fans who prefer 2D animation but the pursuit of mainstream appeal ironically means that Netflix is funding anime production but cares little about what anime fans prefer since they are aiming for what they believe general audiences prefer.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
Kids timeslots and late-night anime were pretty much the only main avenues for producing anime the last decade or so (prime-time anime have already been decreasing since 2000s, and the OAV market has been replaced by late-night anime).

And even late-night anime # of productions seem to be decreasing.

And now, Netflix and streaming make it yet a 3rd avenue with its own demographics. And the slightly different kinds of anime that get produced there are reflected by that new demographics (some of these new anime would not have been greenlit if not for a platform like Netflix).
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol
That list of 2019 spring shows from soranews24 doesn't make sense. Some of those aren't even TV shows, like King of Prism - Shiny Seven Stars is a series of movies. Whoever compiled it definitely didn't have a complete list and that news may have been premature conclusion

This is the complete Spring 2019 list:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&type.tvseries=1&do=calendar&last.anime.month=16&last.anime.year=2019
for a total of 47 shows. The vast majority are of the late night slot, a couple kids and a couple primetime.

this was the 2019 winter list:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=calendar&type.tvseries=1&do=calendar&last.anime.month=13&last.anime.year=2019
with 45 shows. Again, just subtract a couple only and the rest is all late night.
So I think the amount has remained quite high. As someone who tracks and watches a lot, I would've noticed such a halving, and I'm sure so would've various news sites even industry heads would've stated something, because such a sudden, near halving would be very unprecendented
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:51 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, the whole thing was just spawned from some random dude on Twitter looking at the late-night specific shows that had airing times, and for some reason comparing it to THE ENTIRE SEASON OF ANIME for last Spring. It's not even close to an apples-to-apples comparison. Production has remained pretty consistent across the board behind the scenes. Not to mention that we have a number of studios working on things exclusive to streaming platforms... ya know, like Netflix... so no, there is no reduction in the amount of shows being made. It'll take at least a few seasons of consistently lower output to be worthy of even noting a trend anyway.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@BadNewsBlues Lets be honest most of the people who defend 3D Anime, do so because they say it is as bad as people say, not a preference over traditional animation

Uh that would be obvious I don't know of many people who prefer 3D animation more than 2D animation but at the same time you don't see people who like 3D animation constantly complaining about 2D animation for the same reasons people gripe about 3D.

MarshalBanana wrote:

(I stated multiple times that some people do like it, so please stop keep telling me that)

If you know that then why suggest companies like Netflix should listen to a group of people who don't like 3D animation when obviously they know they're not catering to this specific group of people but people who like animation in general?

MarshalBanana wrote:
They could have done for example a new Ghost in the Shell entry

.....I know this is example but why make another entry of a something that's been adapted numerous times as opposed to making an original anime or adaptation of something that's never been adapted before?

MarshalBanana wrote:
So Netflix, if they ever do hear what people say, would do well to listen, since this is trite, but important and valid feedback. you do want Anime under Netflix to be as good as possible right?

You can make a good anime without listening to a contingent of anime fans who don't like 3D anime and even then making an anime that's actually good isn't exactly a walk in the part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3