• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Captain Marvel Actress Brie Larson Cites Sailor Moon as Childhood Role Model

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Are people going to talk about Brie Larson liking Sailor Moon or not?
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Yes, it's great that young girls have a superhero to look up to now

It's kinda sad how no one remembers Wonder Woman. It's not even 2 years old.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I feel kinda bad that everyone is dwelling on this political nonsense just because I handwaved it in a sentence.

Well, in my opinion, I think it's kind of boring to hear celebrities talk about their love of anime while only focusing on the 3 anime kings of the 90s (Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon). At the very least, I'd appreciate it if Brie went in more detail and sorta talked about her favorite parts of the series, why she loved those parts, favorite characters, etc. I hate to be a gatekeeper, but it'd be nice for her to prove that she's such a huge fan of Sailor Moon and not just someone who caught and episode or two and is trying to reach the anime crowd to appeal to more and more people.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I feel kinda bad that everyone is dwelling on this political nonsense just because I handwaved it in a sentence.

Well, in my opinion, I think it's kind of boring to hear celebrities talk about their love of anime while only focusing on the 3 anime kings of the 90s (Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon). At the very least, I'd appreciate it if Brie went in more detail and sorta talked about her favorite parts of the series, why she loved those parts, favorite characters, etc. I hate to be a gatekeeper, but it'd be nice for her to prove that she's such a huge fan of Sailor Moon and not just someone who caught and episode or two and is trying to reach the anime crowd to appeal to more and more people.

If it helps I already reported your comments for bringing politics especially unrelated politics into this.

Huh Brie likes Sailor Moon, how nice. I wonder what other shows she's watched.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
Maybe one day it wont be the usual Dragonball Z/Sailor Moon/Pokemon answer.

The problem, though, is that we're talking about childhood role models. Unless the parents are anime fans, most kids are only going to grow up with the stuff readily available on TV. Given that she's 29, she's 7 years younger than me. Sailor Moon started in the US when I was in 10th grade, IIRC, so she would've been in 3rd grade. For her growing up, there would be pretty limited female anime characters. The only other strong female-themed shows that would have aired while she was growing up, that I can think of, would have been Cardcaptors, which was changed to try to make Li more important. It wasn't really until the mid-to-late 00s that more female-themed stuff came out, so we're about 10 years for female celebrities to really start bringing those up. For male stuff, it was a little earlier, so maybe 5 years for those.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Maybe next time just don't respond to a thread if you have nothing relevant to contribute to it instead of trying to start something up.

Next time, I promise not to even mention politics. I see no matter the context, it gets people riled up.

Anyway, I made my stance clear. I'm just bored of celebrities talking about their love of the popular anime to like that aired on TV on early Toonami. Even if that's their favorite, I'm tired of these bland reasons that anyone with a passing glance of the series' wikipedia article would know about.

If you're a Pokemon fan, tell me your favorite Pokemon. If you're a DBZ fan, tell me your favorite arc, villain, or fight and why. If you're a Sailor Moon fan, why not tell me a favorite season, favorite character and why, favorite villain, or even a favorite outfit or transformation.

"Louis! Those are personal gripes that don't say anything about a person's character! You shouldn't judge them for that!"

Well hypothetical complainer, I'm not judging or attacking their personal character. I'm just stating a pet peeve and moving on with my life.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm Reply with quote
IIRC she was asked about her childhood heroes not what her favorite anime shows are and Sailor Moon was just one of them. I assume the interviewer probably didn't know who Sailor Moon was.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
If she likes it, good on her.

If you don't like the movie, good on you.

I just cared about the cat.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I agree with you on this.

And to continue with the "actor from an American film liking anime" thing and with the whole anime thing, Captain Marvel's voice actress in the Japanese dub is Nana Mizuki, aka Hinata and Presia Testarossa.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
If you're a Pokemon fan, tell me your favorite Pokemon. If you're a DBZ fan, tell me your favorite arc, villain, or fight and why. If you're a Sailor Moon fan, why not tell me a favorite season, favorite character and why, favorite villain, or even a favorite outfit or transformation.

Not that I don't understand it from a curiosity perspective, but most of the time, when people ask this, it's because they somehow don't believe the person means what they say. They get into the "This person isn't a true fan if..." kind of mindset. Really, I grew up with Sailor Moon and loved it, too. I have all the manga and a lot of merchandise from when I lived in Japan, but it's been so long, I can't even remember the real names of half the cast, including for some reason, my favorite senshi (Mercury).

...And now that fact will bug me until I look them up again. e_e;

--------

Anyway, I liked Captain Marvel. I'm a pretty vocal feminist and it's not like the themes themselves were bad or were executed "wrong", but it got a bit too obvious when they started playing "Just a Girl" at the moment she started kicking butt against bad guys who were trying to call her weak. It felt forced in a few spots and Brie's acting occasionally made it seem like she was trying too hard, too. It reminded me of 80's and 90's "GIRL POWER" stuff, which is good for the kids, but a bit too cliche and "spell it out" for adults. Still, like I said, that's not "wrong". It just wasn't to my personal taste and the movie itself was still great.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Juno016, I'm just glad someone is taking my post for what it is: My own personal hangups and pet peeves.

Anyway, I thought Captain Marvel was good. Glad I watched it, not sure if I'd rewatch it. I have to say, if I show anyone the MCU, I'd probably show this before the first Avengers film and Ant-Man and the Wasp before Infinity War. I feel like the franchise would flow better that way.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I agree with you on this.

And to continue with the "actor from an American film liking anime" thing and with the whole anime thing, Captain Marvel's voice actress in the Japanese dub is Nana Mizuki, aka Hinata and Presia Testarossa.

You mean Fate Testarossa.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Yo, I deleted a bunch.

CCSTakato- Please stop instigating fights in threads. Report posts instead of pushing the snowball down the hill. The original comment in no way read as a rant and was hardly abrasive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

As a public figure, you often have to be very careful about what you say, and Brie Larson really isn't. She's saying what she feels will make her look good in the moment to her feminist cause, but really I don't see how much of this she truly believes in. It feels a lot like she's just stroking her own ego.

This made me laugh so hard. Thank you for the joke

Donald Trump isn't even held to that standard and he's the current president of the US.

Many celebrities say things that are just ego stroking, which is why people shouldn't take what they 'say' so seriously. Its better to see what they 'Do', such as are they engaging in activism/charities/organizations outside of their work. If the are, good for them, if they are not, then they are just 'acting' to a different crowd.
Again, just look at the US president and what he Says about things like LGBT rights, and compare that to the Actions his administration has done to restrict. That's just an Example, I'm not trying to make this more political.

As to the actual article. I think its great that she mentions Sailor Moon.
The biggest reason why only certain anime get mentioned by most is because those anime series were probably all that those celebrities had access to when They were young. She said she had to hurry home to watch it in time. Which means no recording devices or streaming services. If she made a conscious effort to watch it, then she is a fan in my book.

She's not Evgenia Medvedeva-level, who skated to Sailor Moon in world competition. Or Ezra Miller-level, who often cosplays anime/game characters. Or even M.B. Jordan-level, who mentioned Hajime no Ippo during one of his Creed II press promos. But she is another name to add to the list of Athletes/Actors and other famous people who have a positive opinion of Anime.

Given the more readily available access to Anime these days, I'd say the variety of series mentioned will expand as the younger generations get older and future celebrities are asked similar questions.

Also, shouldn't we just be glad that these celebrities are publicly stating that they are Fans? They are not dismissing it, or putting down others who do watch it. They are normalizing anime fandom which helps to dispel the negative stigmas that are/were often associated with anime. Isn't that a step in the right direction?

There is nothing wrong with expecting more, but we shouldn't overlook what has happened already. Looking at how Anime has been viewed by others around the world over the past decades, its pretty cool to see how its perception has changed for the better just in the last several years or so.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Moon can be important to your childhood without you having followed it to watch any other anime, just like there are plenty of people who enjoy individual Marvel films without it leading them to care about the rest of the MCU. Brie Larson has no reason to lie about this, and the reporter probably just wasn't familiar with Sailor Moon (or they or their editor figured readers didn't care) to ask any follow-up questions.

ETA: Also, a lot of people in this thread are accusing Brie Larson of making comments she didn't actually make.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3