• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: City Removes Manhole Cover Decorated with Denki Groove's Pierre Taki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Okay this is bordering on Orwellian.

This is the kind of response that I always have a real problem with. Everything with the guy is being scrubbed but I don't think it's an actual attempt to rewrite history and say he never existed. Taki committed a crime and those in power are bucking back to prevent it from looking as though they support or condone the behavior. Case after case, far too many people confuse the equation of rewriting history vs celebrating and promoting someone. Just because people react and try to stop celebrating terrible people, that doesn't mean they are trying to rewrite. The actions still stand, it's just that a physical focus point doesn't.

You can think whatever you want about the actual crimes but knock off the idea that society owes it to any individual to continuously keep them in a position of influence/being a role model when others don't want them to be. Monuments, manholes covers.... whatever it may be, no one is entitled be honored and publicly celebrated forever.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 am Reply with quote
DirtyCircle wrote:

You can think whatever you want about the actual crimes but knock off the idea that society owes it to any individual to continuously keep them in a position of influence/being a role model when others don't want them to be. Monuments, manholes covers.... whatever it may be, no one is entitled be honored and publicly celebrated forever.

I think there's enough of a difference between the Confederate statues being moved/Bill Cosby's star being removed and Taki's crimes here to draw a distinction. In both of the US examples, those were people who inflicted harm on others--which is a great reason to no celebrate those people. Taki only inflicted harm on himself, which is also not a great look, but doesn't carry the same kind of weight as "I victimized who knows how many people over my lifetime".

That said, I'm not opposed to the removal of the manhole; if Japan doesn't want to publically celebrate a drug addict, that's their call. It's really the scrubbing of his role in the game that I object to, because the game is for all intents and purposes *done* and, more importantly, released. I get that in Sega's eyes they need to distance themselves from Taki, and the only way to do that in Japan is to scrub his role, but from my perspective, it'd be like trying to Photoshop Cosby out of his own DVDs; why bother? Individuals can still vote with their wallets; it feels like an overreach for a corporate entity to step in so drastically.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
This article states that the game is being halted in sales. That’s not the same thing as photoshopping someone out of DVDs, which isn’t happening. In 1984, the government is literally destroying evidence of actions and trying to rewrite history. That isn’t what’s being done here or in other cases across America. I think that perhaps the reaction to this man’s (or anyone else’s drug charges) are overreacting, but I also have a real problem with several other aspects I’ve read as a whole about Japanese society. I’m just sick and tired of the “rewriting history complaints” and it needs to end.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Drug problems will spread if left unchecked (just look at the opioid problem we have in the US).

At the same time blackballing and shaming people for using drugs isn't going to make people stop purchasing and using drugs.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
At the same time blackballing and shaming people for using drugs isn't going to make people stop purchasing and using drugs.

You sure? Seems to be working pretty well for them. Not to say shaming works equally well in all cultures and other places should attempt to mirror it.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Taki only inflicted harm on himself, which is also not a great look, but doesn't carry the same kind of weight as "I victimized who knows how many people over my lifetime".

Most drugs in Japan are imported from other countries and sold by immigrants and foreigners. Taki-san had Korean won which means he was probably being supplied by a Korean dealer. Supporting these dealers helps them spread their poison to other people and areas in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Japan's attitude towards drug possession vs. pedophilia is astoundingly terrible.

There's joke going around: "Japan treats drug possession like the West treat pedophilia, while Japan treats pedophilia like the West treats drug possession."
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:37 am Reply with quote
I just read that not only did Disney pull FROZEN merchandise, they halting production and sales of the blu-ray and DVD.

Man, American Disney could learn something and realize that earning a buck by any means possible isn’t the most important thing ever.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:37 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
You sure? Seems to be working pretty well for them.

If people are still purchasing and using drugs in addition to selling them even in spite of the risks it's not working. Especially if the people using the drugs are doing so to cope with stress from things like "overwork" or thinking about suicide... you know those two problems that are far larger in japan and still is a hard to solve problem for them.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Not to say shaming works equally well in all cultures and other places should attempt to mirror it.

No other places should stop treating all drugs as being equally bad, while ignoring the reasons for why someone would take drugs and instead at the very least legalize marijuana while actively encouraging them to give up drugs (the legitimately dangerous ones). Not treat them like other countries treat outed pedophiles for possessing and taking drugs period or act booting them out of the country if they're a foreigner for the same offense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2